COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:38:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 266460 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: April 21, 2020, 09:17:20 PM »

Patrick went on: "There are more important things than living, and that's saving this country for my children and my grandchildren and saving this country for all of us.

"I don't want to die, nobody wants to die but man we have got to take some risk and get back in the game and get this country back up and running," he told the Tucker Carlson Tonight host.

These people are sociopaths.

I'm not giving them that easy of an out.

What they are is evil.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #326 on: April 21, 2020, 09:21:35 PM »

Patrick went on: "There are more important things than living, and that's saving this country for my children and my grandchildren and saving this country for all of us.

"I don't want to die, nobody wants to die but man we have got to take some risk and get back in the game and get this country back up and running," he told the Tucker Carlson Tonight host.

These people are sociopaths.

Sociopaths at least have empathy and regret what they do (you're thinking psychopaths.)

And there's a disturbing irony that this sort of thing is coming from the self-declared pro life party.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #327 on: April 21, 2020, 09:21:37 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:2019%E2%80%9320_coronavirus_pandemic_data/United_States_medical_cases

The Wikipedia numbers seem a little different. About 200 fewer people died than on the Worldometer.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #328 on: April 21, 2020, 09:22:20 PM »

Am I the only person who legit thinks dine-in restaurants, malls, and theaters are done after this?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #329 on: April 21, 2020, 09:23:54 PM »

Am I the only person who legit thinks dine-in restaurants, malls, and theaters are done after this?

Hopefully.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #330 on: April 21, 2020, 09:25:49 PM »

People are just going to stop wanting to go out to eat?  I really doubt that.  Restaurants are reopening in my state next week.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #331 on: April 21, 2020, 09:28:12 PM »

I highly doubt it. Unless I missed something, people still enjoy leaving their homes from time to time.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #332 on: April 21, 2020, 09:32:30 PM »

Dude...

There will ALWAYS be movie thearers and dine-in restaurants, evem if they become niche.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #333 on: April 21, 2020, 09:48:13 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2020, 10:01:06 PM by Meclazine »

Corona Virus Songs

Bobi Wine (Uganda)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUHrck2g7Ic

Has a strange relaxed feeling for a country that is entering the curve that is almost opposite to the CNN alarmism.

Tops the Vietnamese one.

Not sure whether children should do the acting in these videos.

Masaka Kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAy2KpNCApE
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #334 on: April 21, 2020, 09:53:52 PM »

You are.

Malls aren't done, but this sped up their decline. Govt should use funds and distribute them to big retail.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #335 on: April 21, 2020, 09:59:39 PM »

Restaurants provide an irreplaceable service. They will be back.

Movie theaters will probably struggle for a while, and the industry will need to reorient; theaters are going to become fewer in number and a less significant part of the movie industry as a whole. But they are also not replaceable completely by streaming services. They may become more oriented towards being a "higher end" or "luxury" part of the market, with higher prices and a more catered experience, where people go once every few months instead of trying to lure customers more frequently at rock-bottom rates, in order to distinguish themselves from streaming. (Not anything crazy but $20 tickets might become much more normal.)

Malls and department stores in particular are in deep trouble, but they were already in deep trouble pre-crisis; this is just accelerating their previously slow-moving collapse. There will be a lot of major retail bankruptcies over the next year. The NYT had an interesting article on the subject earlier today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/21/business/coronavirus-department-stores-neiman-marcus.html
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #336 on: April 21, 2020, 10:23:45 PM »

Does anyone else think this will cause a food shortage in the US?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #337 on: April 21, 2020, 10:42:44 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks that Gilead is just leaking results so they can pump their stock prices?

I just have zero faith that anything works at this point.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #338 on: April 21, 2020, 10:42:47 PM »

Probably not but it could if there are more strikes from food industry workers.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #339 on: April 21, 2020, 10:55:04 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks that Gilead is just leaking results so they can pump their stock prices?

No, Remdesivir was proven to work against SARS and MERS coronaviruses before, so I don’t see why it’s such a stretch for it to work in a relatively similar virus.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #340 on: April 21, 2020, 11:10:01 PM »

I wish those policymakers who are advocating for “reopening the country” would clarify what they expect to happen after lifting restrictions.

Do they believe the restrictions have already worked (or that they were never needed), and thus the virus has already been effectively killed off in their jurisdiction?

Or do they believe that the restrictions are not working, and thus we might as well lift restrictions since almost everyone is going to get virus anyway, we might as well just go ahead and let people get it now (to more quickly achieve herd immunity)?

I.e. A person could hold a coherently favor lifting lockdowns because they either believe the virus is much LESS serious than most lockdown advocates believe, OR because they believe it is much MORE serious than lockdown advocates believe.

But I feel like a lot of people on this side seem to hold both positions simultaneously in a way that ends up being incoherent.

FWIW, this is also somewhat true of people favoring continuing the lockdowns (they look at any good news as evidence that the lockdowns are working, and any bad news as evidence that the lockdowns need to stay in place).
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #341 on: April 21, 2020, 11:13:12 PM »

FWIW, this is also somewhat true of people favoring continuing the lockdowns (they look at any good news as evidence that the lockdowns are working, and any bad news as evidence that the lockdowns need to stay in place).

I think both can be true.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #342 on: April 21, 2020, 11:22:28 PM »

I think both can be true.

In that case, what would constitute evidence for you that the lockdowns should be lifted because they aren’t working?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #343 on: April 21, 2020, 11:35:53 PM »

No idea. Glad it's not my decision. I go back and forth on the "is all this worth it" question, but I think I've mostly settled on, it is.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #344 on: April 21, 2020, 11:47:11 PM »

Nate Silver has been tweeting several times a day reflecting on covid stats.  It sounds like, just as of today, he may be a convert to the “herd immunity” position.

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #345 on: April 22, 2020, 12:05:57 AM »

Hasn't it been about a week since NY instated their most stringing requirements, including mandating masks? I see that as having an effect more so than herd immunity at this point.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #346 on: April 22, 2020, 12:16:15 AM »

Ur like the opposite of Donald Trump's Toupe
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #347 on: April 22, 2020, 12:19:35 AM »

My states trendline of daily new cases

Also the % of positive tests is dropping, we went from 11.9% last week to 9.8% today, my county went from 13.8% 2 weeks ago to 6.0% today
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #348 on: April 22, 2020, 12:24:39 AM »

My states trendline of daily new cases

Also the % of positive tests is dropping, we went from 11.9% last week to 9.8% today, my county went from 13.8% 2 weeks ago to 6.0% today

"Cases are only decreasing because testing is" talking point BTFO
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #349 on: April 22, 2020, 12:25:15 AM »

Hasn't it been about a week since NY instated their most stringing requirements, including mandating masks? I see that as having an effect more so than herd immunity at this point.

It depends on what you mean. In the short run, yes masks may be more immediately helpful. But in the long run, it's not enough to get the numbers down unless we completely eradicate the virus. We eventually need to either get the numbers down to effectively zero, or get herd immunity, or else the virus will keep coming back anytime we relax the quarantines at all. NYC area is probably a lot closer to herd immunity than it is to eradication, though obviously the latter is preferable.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies