COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:26:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 266115 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: April 21, 2020, 05:01:39 PM »

The US is going to set a new daily record for deaths today (at least according to the worldometers count).  The models that projected the peak to come around April 10 were clearly way off.
I think the IHME and Meclazine’s models will be proven inaccurate as well, but do note that there is a margin of error within these things due to problems with reporting and natural variation. The number of deaths today still seems to be within the MoE of the projections, so don’t be too pessimistic.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #251 on: April 21, 2020, 05:02:27 PM »

The US is going to set a new daily record for deaths today (at least according to the worldometers count).  The models that projected the peak to come around April 10 were clearly way off.

Looking at the data it seems to be backlog in a few states
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #252 on: April 21, 2020, 05:17:31 PM »

Amazon staff take off work to raise safety concerns in pandemic
A U.S. labor and activist coalition said employees of Amazon.com Inc would take off work starting on Tuesday to draw attention to what it says are unsafe conditions at warehouses during the coronavirus pandemic.

The action involves more than 350 of Amazon’s staff from 40 facilities, according to the coalition. The world’s largest online retailer has faced several worker protests and demands by unions for it to close warehouses down.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #253 on: April 21, 2020, 05:18:13 PM »

It is a shame that an 86 year olds life means less to you people than the life of a 55 year old.
I can guarantee you it doesn't to him.
3.  Healthcare rationing is present in every discrete medical interaction.  Every potential course of treatment contains an implicit cost/benefit analysis for the patient, institution and broader health system.  If it takes COVID-19 for us to realize that 80+ year olds really shouldn't be going to ICU to begin with, then at least our healthcare will (thankfully) be cheaper in the long run.
(mostly infirm, would have died anyway of other things pretty soon)
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #254 on: April 21, 2020, 05:20:58 PM »

I think the IHME and Meclazine’s models will be proven inaccurate as well,

No? This is a backlog of unreported cases. Meclazine predicted a peak of active cases nationally two days ago. I see nothing which disproves that.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #255 on: April 21, 2020, 05:25:33 PM »

It is a shame that an 86 year olds life means less to you people than the life of a 55 year old.
I can guarantee you it doesn't to him. He's just showing the truth.

But it's ok, continue to assume a moral high-ground which you don't have.

You might want to tone it down.

I don't think I will. People shouldn't be able to purposefully misinterpret another person's statement to make them seem bad or wrong.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #256 on: April 21, 2020, 05:30:53 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2020, 06:00:37 PM by Lincoln Republican »

CNN is reporting information from CDC Director that a second wave of the coronavirus may hit this winter, deadlier than the first.

Get ready!
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #257 on: April 21, 2020, 05:31:50 PM »

The peak in deaths isn't the same as a peak in new cases, and you must realize this is backlog right? It doesn't give an accurate picture into how many people are actually dying from this per day.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #258 on: April 21, 2020, 05:33:29 PM »

The peak in deaths isn't the same as a peak in new cases, and you must realize this is backlog right? It doesn't give an accurate picture into how many people are actually dying from this per day.

The cases are going to have a longer tail that many models predicted. Particularly with dumbass governors like in Georgia.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #259 on: April 21, 2020, 05:33:39 PM »

Small business loan program discriminated against women, minorities: lawsuit

The lawsuit was brought by Glitz and Glam Jewelry by LJ, solely owned and operated by LeTresa Williams, and by Alvin Vaughn, sole owner and operator of a financial services business.

They alleged that the loan program, which ran out of money last week, allowed businesses with employees to apply for loans before those without, which they said are disproportionately owned by women and minorities.

White House mulls liability protection for reopening businesses: Trump adviser

I see this administration has its priorities in order.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #260 on: April 21, 2020, 05:39:47 PM »

The lawsuit was brought by Glitz and Glam Jewelry by LJ, solely owned and operated by LeTresa Williams, and by Alvin Vaughn, sole owner and operator of a financial services business.

They alleged that the loan program, which ran out of money last week, allowed businesses with employees to apply for loans before those without, which they said are disproportionately owned by women and minorities.

That's quite a stretch and you know it.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #261 on: April 21, 2020, 05:41:13 PM »

On the question of whether the life of an old person is worth less than a young person, here is a blog post by a sometimes outrageous but usually interesting economist: http://www.thebigquestions.com/2020/04/20/are-old-lives-worth-less/.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #262 on: April 21, 2020, 05:48:18 PM »

The cases are going to have a longer tail that many models predicted. Particularly with dumbass governors like in Georgia.

Well they haven't shown that they will. Every moment throughout the crisis, the result has been better than the projections. Almost every state, minus a handful, are seeing new case rates falling. Backlogs don't count.

I doubt that the reopening of a select amount of businesses in GA will have any real effect.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #263 on: April 21, 2020, 05:48:42 PM »

That's quite a stretch and you know it.
No, I meant it how I meant it.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #264 on: April 21, 2020, 05:55:57 PM »

It's not that old people are worth less than young people, they are just more susceptible to dying. Is it really worth it trying to shut down society to "save them" when they are at the end of their lifespan anyway? My 93 year old grandmother passed last year, and she was a great lady. Good quality life until the last few weeks. She died of something easily preventable, but it was missed during much of her hospital stay. By the time we had an idea what was wrong many of her organs were failing. I was upset about this at her death bed, upset at how the health system seemingly failed her. She told me it was ok and that she had lived a long life anyway. She didn't hold any malice towards anyone, and she passed six hours later. Maybe I've strayed a little off topic but I think this is important. Death is a part of life and we can't destroy society trying to prolong the inevitable for the chronically ill and elderly. It might sound heartless to us but when you are in their boat I think the mindset changes.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #265 on: April 21, 2020, 06:00:12 PM »

Well they haven't shown that they will. Every moment throughout the crisis, the result has been better than the projections. Almost every state, minus a handful, are seeing new case rates falling. Backlogs don't count.

I doubt that the reopening of a select amount of businesses in GA will have any real effect.

This is because people and governments have taken action designed to prevent reaching those projections!  Do you people not understand cause-and-effect?  The logic you and others keep repeating is like this:

A husband and wife are driving down the highway.  The husband is driving and going way above the speed limit.  The wife warns him to slow down or he'll get a speeding ticket.  He does so in time to avoid a speeding ticket from the motorcycle cop hiding behind a billboard, who he never sees.  They arrive at their destination and the husband says "see, I didn't need to slow down!  We could have been here a lot sooner if I'd kept up to speed."

Statistical models are a moving target that are based on certain assumptions and behaviors.  If you change any of those behaviors, then of course the results will change.  How can you follow elections and not understand this?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #266 on: April 21, 2020, 06:02:03 PM »

It's not that old people are worth less than young people, they are just more susceptible to dying. Is it really worth it trying to shut down society to "save them" when they are at the end of their lifespan anyway? My 93 year old grandmother passed last year, and she was a great lady. Good quality life until the last few weeks. She died of something easily preventable, but it was missed during much of her hospital stay. By the time we had an idea what was wrong many of her organs were failing. I was upset about this at her death bed, upset at how the health system seemingly failed her. She told me it was ok and that she had lived a long life anyway. She didn't hold any malice towards anyone, and she passed six hours later. Maybe I've strayed a little off topic but I think this is important. Death is a part of life and we can't destroy society trying to prolong the inevitable for the chronically ill and elderly. It might sound heartless to us but when you are in their boat I think the mindset changes.

Do tell us where you'd draw the line.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #267 on: April 21, 2020, 06:03:00 PM »

I don't want you Republicans to complain about 'death panels' ever again.  
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #268 on: April 21, 2020, 06:04:49 PM »

I don't know. I don't want to play God, I think that's up to Him. I believe we can fight this disease with reasonable measures without going overboard.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #269 on: April 21, 2020, 06:06:54 PM »

I don't know. I don't want to play God, I think that's up to Him. I believe we can fight this disease with reasonable measures without going overboard.

That's what I meant.  What do you consider reasonable measures beyond which we shouldn't go?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #270 on: April 21, 2020, 06:08:49 PM »

As if this couldn't get any weirder, a white hat hacker group has just posted the online login information for all employees of the WIV, CDC, NIH, WHO, and the Gates Foundation. They say they are going through the data now, but one authentic appearing screenshot from an employee of the Wuhan Institute of Virology appears to show a discussion of inserting an HIV single nucleotide protein into a coronavirus. If this is true, prepare for World War III.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #271 on: April 21, 2020, 06:15:45 PM »

That's what I meant.  What do you consider reasonable measures beyond which we shouldn't go?

I think large gatherings, concerts, schools, and the like should remain closed through the summer. Small business settings should be allowed to operate as long as they are following social distancing rules. Large office like settings should be work from home until we see an 80 to 90% reduction from peak. Restaurants should be open but take out and drive thru only. Unconstitutional travel bans and stay at home orders should be lifted. Parks should be partially open - keep playgrounds and sports fields closed but allow people to park and walk outside.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #272 on: April 21, 2020, 06:18:09 PM »

This is because people and governments have taken action designed to prevent reaching those projections!  Do you people not understand cause-and-effect?  The logic you and others keep repeating is like this:

A husband and wife are driving down the highway.  The husband is driving and going way above the speed limit.  The wife warns him to slow down or he'll get a speeding ticket.  He does so in time to avoid a speeding ticket from the motorcycle cop hiding behind a billboard, who he never sees.  They arrive at their destination and the husband says "see, I didn't need to slow down!  We could have been here a lot sooner if I'd kept up to speed."

Statistical models are a moving target that are based on certain assumptions and behaviors.  If you change any of those behaviors, then of course the results will change.  How can you follow elections and not understand this?

You don't understand. The results are better than the projections that factored in social distancing. I'm not arguing for a premature relaxation of the restrictions, i'm just saying the truth to own the alarmists.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #273 on: April 21, 2020, 06:34:50 PM »

Sadly, regardless of how the election goes, Trump will still be President if this hits in December. I especially can't imagine that he'd be any more motivated to competently deal with it if he becomes a lame duck.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #274 on: April 21, 2020, 06:35:59 PM »

As if this couldn't get any weirder, a white hat hacker group has just posted the online login information for all employees of the WIV, CDC, NIH, WHO, and the Gates Foundation. They say they are going through the data now, but one authentic appearing screenshot from an employee of the Wuhan Institute of Virology appears to show a discussion of inserting an HIV single nucleotide protein into a coronavirus. If this is true, prepare for World War III.
Source?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies