COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:27:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 177 178 179 [180] 181 182 183 184 185 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 262235 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4475 on: July 13, 2020, 04:58:07 PM »

California re-instituting bar, restaurant, movie theater, and other closures. Other states seeing spiking cases would be wise to follow suit swiftly.

Ugh.  California locked down hard and early.  And cases kept rising all throughout the lockdown. Why keep repeating a strategy that has already proven to be a failure, without any real endgame in mind?  This is all reminiscent of the Vietnam War, or the Iraq War "surge".

The lockdown worked. We weren’t hit hard like other states such as NY, NJ, WA or LA. Then Newsom eased restrictions and cases recently started to spike because of it. Restrictions should have never been lifted.

If cases keep rising under the lockdown, how do you know when to end or ease the lockdown?
A lockdown isn't working if you have to stay under lockdown indefinitely.

Cases keep rising because it’s impossible to cut human contact. People will ignore the lockdown. People will still go out to get groceries and other necessities. Some don’t wear masks when doing so. People are still coming in (and out) of the state. Saying “cases still went up!” as an argument for why lockdowns don’t work is pretty weak.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4476 on: July 13, 2020, 05:34:51 PM »

I honestly think it’s entirely possible Trump is weaponizing Covid-19 as a campaign strategy....in the worst way possible. I will write more about it tonight, but if true, it would be extremely terrifying and honestly Hitler-esque/Stalin-esque.

I have a weird conspiracy theory that I believe that Trump is trying to make the pandemic as bad as possible so people will be in fear and not participate in voting.
As bad as that is, my theory is even worse...
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #4477 on: July 13, 2020, 05:34:59 PM »

California re-instituting bar, restaurant, movie theater, and other closures. Other states seeing spiking cases would be wise to follow suit swiftly.

Ugh.  California locked down hard and early.  And cases kept rising all throughout the lockdown. Why keep repeating a strategy that has already proven to be a failure, without any real endgame in mind?  This is all reminiscent of the Vietnam War, or the Iraq War "surge".

The lockdown worked. We weren’t hit hard like other states such as NY, NJ, WA or LA. Then Newsom eased restrictions and cases recently started to spike because of it. Restrictions should have never been lifted.

If cases keep rising under the lockdown, how do you know when to end or ease the lockdown?

Cases keep rising because it’s impossible to cut human contact. People will ignore the lockdown. People will still go out to get groceries and other necessities. Some don’t wear masks when doing so. People are still coming in (and out) of the state. Saying “cases still went up!” as an argument for why lockdowns don’t work is pretty weak.

It sounds like you are conceding that lockdowns don’t work in reality.
So if you institute a lockdown and for whatever reason, cases keep rising, is that specific lockdown working?  How do you know when to end it?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #4478 on: July 13, 2020, 05:45:05 PM »

So if you institute a lockdown and for whatever reason, cases keep rising, is that specific lockdown working?  How do you know when to end it?

My good dude, I just said in an earlier post that the lockdown worked. Our hospitals were not overrun with sick and dying patients back in March/April and cases and deaths were low, especially compared to other states that were seriously hurting (NY/NJ/LA/MI/WA). I got a kidney stone in late April and was able to go to the emergency room and not wait because our hospital was not stressed and at capacity. The states that are seriously hurting now put no safety guidelines in place, or did so too late and now their hospitals are nearly or at capacity.

I also didn't say the cases still rose for "whatever reason". I laid it out pretty clearly. It's not as black and white as "lockdowns are ineffective because people are still getting sick when they're in place".
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #4479 on: July 13, 2020, 05:56:27 PM »

COVID-19 deaths in Vietnam = 0.

That is bordering on unbelievable.

Even Australia has 108 deaths, but i guess the majority of our outbreaks were through rampant stupidity.

This just in from North Korea

07:07 - Confirmed active Cases: 1
07:08 - Confirmed active Cases: 0
7:25 - Confirmed active Cases: 1
7:26 - Confirmed active Cases: 0

Looks like they have a cure??

If you consider no one wanting to go there a cure.

I just find it amazing that the Vietnamese are so organised that they have zero deaths.

Surely, they are not that organised.

Maybe they have a healthy lifestyle where they simply don't sit around getting fat and arguing with people on the internet because they think they are right.

The weird part is it was after a port visit to Da Nang that 1000 sailors aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt became infected. The port visit had been approved because of the low rate in Vietnam.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4480 on: July 13, 2020, 06:45:55 PM »

My state and county are a good example of how things can get really bad again after everything was seemingly under control. We were the “model of the country” for months after initially being hard hit, and as soon as everyone decided to let their guard down, cases are spiking again, worse than they’ve been since March. Reopening really only works when a large majority take it seriously, and don’t let down their guard too quickly. Sadly, a lot of young people are just assuming that the virus is yesterday’s news (“COVID is sooooo last March!”) and that everything’s totally fine now. If we jump the gun on more, like opening schools too quickly, things are going to get much worse and fast.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #4481 on: July 13, 2020, 06:57:29 PM »

My state and county are a good example of how things can get really bad again after everything was seemingly under control. We were the “model of the country” for months after initially being hard hit, and as soon as everyone decided to let their guard down, cases are spiking again, worse than they’ve been since March. Reopening really only works when a large majority take it seriously, and don’t let down their guard too quickly. Sadly, a lot of young people are just assuming that the virus is yesterday’s news (“COVID is sooooo last March!”) and that everything’s totally fine now. If we jump the gun on more, like opening schools too quickly, things are going to get much worse and fast.

Yeah, a real problem has been getting people to understand that this is going to be a phased process. It can't just be "stay at home order" and "back to normal" with nothing in between.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4482 on: July 13, 2020, 06:57:32 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2020, 07:00:47 PM by Wolverine22 »

Check out this letter to the editor from Monroe, Michigan. https://www.monroenews.com/opinion/20200712/covid-might-be-biggest-fraud-in-history

This is what we’re up against:

The circumstances behind its appearance on the global scene appears to have been deliberately concocted behind the scenes by Chinese scientists with the aid and support of far-left Democratic Party liberals in the United States as well as their friends in secret societies in this world that seek the establishment of one world government.

While this whole coronavirus pandemic is definitely a reality, the circumstances behind its appearance on the global scene appears to have been deliberately concocted behind the scenes by Chinese scientists with the aid and support of far-left Democratic Party liberals in the United States as well as their friends in secret societies in this world that seek the establishment of one world government.

The mainstream media is now dominated by liberal, leftist American-hating Democrats who no longer honestly report the news. Instead, they are trying to shape it to fit their globalist New World Order (one world government) ideology.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #4483 on: July 13, 2020, 07:23:30 PM »

Yeah, a real problem has been getting people to understand that this is going to be a phased process. It can't just be "stay at home order" and "back to normal" with nothing in between.

Ppl understand the process imo, i just don't think that they care unless they are directly affected
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4484 on: July 13, 2020, 08:47:09 PM »

COVID-19 deaths in Vietnam = 0.

That is bordering on unbelievable.

Even Australia has 108 deaths, but i guess the majority of our outbreaks were through rampant stupidity.

This just in from North Korea

07:07 - Confirmed active Cases: 1
07:08 - Confirmed active Cases: 0
7:25 - Confirmed active Cases: 1
7:26 - Confirmed active Cases: 0

Looks like they have a cure??

If you consider no one wanting to go there a cure.

I just find it amazing that the Vietnamese are so organised that they have zero deaths.

Surely, they are not that organised.

Maybe they have a healthy lifestyle where they simply don't sit around getting fat and arguing with people on the internet because they think they are right.

They took it seriously early and mobilized their public to take steps.

Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #4485 on: July 13, 2020, 09:24:20 PM »

Ppl understand the process imo, i just don't think that they care unless they are directly affected

Add an infantile inability to perceive object permanence to that.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4486 on: July 13, 2020, 10:08:07 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2020, 10:38:01 PM by GP270watch »

Add an infantile inability to perceive object permanence to that.

Also social media is making many believe literally anything else besides this being a pandemic. It's very disturbing the number of Americans who will believe baseless conspiracy theories almost immediately to not deal with reality.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4487 on: July 13, 2020, 10:20:08 PM »

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #4488 on: July 13, 2020, 10:58:31 PM »

My good dude, I just said in an earlier post that the lockdown worked. Our hospitals were not overrun with sick and dying patients back in March/April and cases and deaths were low, especially compared to other states that were seriously hurting (NY/NJ/LA/MI/WA). I got a kidney stone in late April and was able to go to the emergency room and not wait because our hospital was not stressed and at capacity. The states that are seriously hurting now put no safety guidelines in place, or did so too late and now their hospitals are nearly or at capacity.

I also didn't say the cases still rose for "whatever reason". I laid it out pretty clearly. It's not as black and white as "lockdowns are ineffective because people are still getting sick when they're in place".

OK, but you still didn’t answer my question.  When should California have ended the lockdown?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4489 on: July 13, 2020, 11:13:59 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2020, 07:31:49 PM by Arch »

The updated numbers for COVID-19 in the U.S. are in for 7/13 per: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I'm keeping track of these updates daily and updating at the end of the day, whenever all states finish reporting for that day.

New - Substituting the Δ Change metric as of 7/13 on dates starting from 7/5:
ΔW Change: Comparisons of Weekly Day-to-day Growth or Decline of COVID-19 Spread/Deaths.
  • IE: Comparing the numbers to the same day of last week, are we flattening the curve enough?

Σ Increase: A day's contribution to overall percentage growth of COVID-19 cases/deaths.
  • IE: What's the overall change in the total?

Older Numbers (Hidden in spoiler mode to make the post more compact)

6/28: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 2,637,077 (+40,540 | Δ Change: ↓7.01% | Σ Increase: ↑1.56%)
  • Deaths: 128,437 (+285 | Δ Change: ↓44.34% | Σ Increase: ↑0.22%)

6/29:
  • Cases: 2,681,802 (+44,725 | Δ Change: ↑10.32% | Σ Increase: ↑1.70%)
  • Deaths: 128,779 (+342 | Δ Change: ↑20.00% | Σ Increase: ↑0.27%)

6/30:
  • Cases: 2,727,853 (+46,051 | Δ Change: ↑2.96% | Σ Increase: ↑1.72%)
  • Deaths: 130,122 (+1,343 | Δ Change: ↑292.69% | Σ Increase: ↑1.04%)

7/1:
  • Cases: 2,779,953 (+52,100 | Δ Change: ↑13.14% | Σ Increase: ↑1.91%)
  • Deaths: 130,798 (+676 | Δ Change: ↓49.66% | Σ Increase: ↑0.52%)

7/2:
  • Cases: 2,837,189 (+57,236 | Δ Change: ↑9.86% | Σ Increase: ↑2.06%)
  • Deaths: 131,485 (+687 | ΔW Change: ↑1.62% | Σ Increase: ↑0.53%)

7/3:
  • Cases: 2,890,588 (+53,399 | Δ Change: ↓6.70% | Σ Increase: ↑1.88%)
  • Deaths: 132,101 (+616 | Δ Change: ↓10.33% | Σ Increase: ↑0.47%)

7/4:
  • Cases: 2,935,770 (+45,182 | Δ Change: ↓15.39% | Σ Increase: ↑1.56%)
  • Deaths: 132,318 (+212 | Δ Change: ↓65.58% | Σ Increase: ↑0.16%)

The new ΔW Change metric starts below; Δ Metric percentages are not comparable to those above.

7/5: <Sunday>
  • Cases: 2,982,928 (+47,158 | ΔW Change: ↑16.32% | Σ Increase: ↑1.61%)
  • Deaths: 132,569 (+251 | ΔW Change: ↓11.93% | Σ Increase: ↑0.19%)

7/6: <M>
  • Cases: 3,040,833 (+57,905 | ΔW Change: ↑29.47% | Σ Increase: ↑1.94%)
  • Deaths: 132,979 (+410 | ΔW Change: ↑19.88% | Σ Increase: ↑0.31%)

7/7: <T>
  • Cases: 3,097,084 (+56,251 | ΔW Change: ↑22.15% | Σ Increase: ↑1.85%)
  • Deaths: 133,972 (+993 | ΔW Change: ↓26.06% | Σ Increase: ↑0.75%)

7/8: <W>
  • Cases: 3,158,734 (+61,650 | ΔW Change: ↑18.33% | Σ Increase: ↑1.99%)
  • Deaths: 134,854 (+882 | ΔW Change: ↑30.47% | Σ Increase: ↑0.66%)

7/9: <Þ>
  • Cases: 3,219,999 (+61,265 | ΔW Change: ↑7.04% | Σ Increase: ↑1.94%)
  • Deaths: 135,822 (+968 | ΔW Change: ↑40.90% | Σ Increase: ↑0.72%)

7/10: <F>
  • Cases: 3,291,786 (+71,787 | ΔW Change: ↑34.44% | Σ Increase: ↑2.23%)
  • Deaths: 136,671 (+849 | ΔW Change: ↑37.82% | Σ Increase: ↑0.63%)

7/11: <S>
  • Cases: 3,355,646 (+63,860 | ΔW Change: ↑41.34% | Σ Increase: ↑1.94%)
  • Deaths: 137,403 (+732 | ΔW Change: ↑245.28% | Σ Increase: ↑0.54%)

7/12 (Yesterday): <Sunday>
  • Cases: 3,413,995 (+58,349 | ΔW Change: ↑23.73% | Σ Increase: ↑1.74%)
  • Deaths: 137,782 (+379 | ΔW Change: ↑51.00% | Σ Increase: ↑0.28%)

7/13 (Today):<M>
  • Cases: 3,479,483 (+65,488 | ΔW Change: ↑13.10% | Σ Increase: ↑1.74%)
  • Deaths: 138,247 (+465 | ΔW Change: ↑13.41% | Σ Increase: ↑0.28%)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4490 on: July 13, 2020, 11:15:35 PM »

Announcement:

The new ΔW Metric is now in place, starting on numbers reported on 7/5 and beyond!
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #4491 on: July 14, 2020, 03:14:44 AM »

OK, but you still didn’t answer my question.  When should California have ended the lockdown?

after 8 weeks, if the lockdown was true
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4492 on: July 14, 2020, 05:54:10 AM »

After all these months of lockdowns, major business closures, and other restrictions, what sort of support has the government really offered to the people to at least make it bearable?

This is the problem. One stimulus check, and really no help to many small businesses who now have to close up b/c there's no federal help.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4493 on: July 14, 2020, 06:42:12 AM »

Trump retweets:

I'd trust Chuck E. Cheese more than Chuck Woolery myself.

The idea that anyone should respond to a global pandemic based on the advice of an anti-semetic serial-polygamist gameshow host instead of scientists and doctors is getting pretty close to peak "my ignorance is as good as your knowledge".

Speaking of which...
‘Everyone is lying’: Trump undercuts public health officials in fresh attacks
On Monday morning, he retweeted messages from the politically conservative former game show personality Chuck Woolery — who served stints hosting “Wheel of Fortune” and “Love Connection” — which lamented the “most outrageous lies” being spread about the coronavirus pandemic.

“Everyone is lying. The CDC, Media, Democrats, our Doctors, not all but most, that we are told to trust. I think it’s all about the election and keeping the economy from coming back, which is about the election. I’m sick of it,” Woolery wrote in a tweet shared by the president.

In another post Trump retweeted, Woolery claimed there exists “so much evidence, yes scientific evidence, that schools should open this fall. It’s worldwide and it’s overwhelming. BUT NO.”
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4494 on: July 14, 2020, 06:43:53 AM »

Announcement:

The new ΔW Metric is now in place, starting on numbers reported on 7/5 and beyond!

Nice change; it makes the overall trend clearer.  Thanks for continuing to post these metrics.
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4495 on: July 14, 2020, 06:47:35 AM »

He is not going to have any coherent answer on that. The pro-lockdown crowd just expects everyone to stay in their homes until every single living organism on planet earth has a coronavirus vaccine. And they are completely dismissive of the negative side effects of that such as mass evictions, starvation, increasing national debt, more mental health crisises, etc. Since their side does not care about those issues I have decided that I do not care if some people die over this. Too bad.

And I am not even advocating that we have places like Disney World open. We still need to maintain social strict social distancing, wear masks, and live life carefully under this reality.
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4496 on: July 14, 2020, 06:54:24 AM »

Yes, basically full on lockdowns accomplish nothing positive.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4497 on: July 14, 2020, 06:55:52 AM »

Good for Trump.

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4498 on: July 14, 2020, 08:42:31 AM »

He is not going to have any coherent answer on that. The pro-lockdown crowd just expects everyone to stay in their homes until every single living organism on planet earth has a coronavirus vaccine. And they are completely dismissive of the negative side effects of that such as mass evictions, starvation, increasing national debt, more mental health crisises, etc. Since their side does not care about those issues I have decided that I do not care if some people die over this. Too bad.

Can't one think the lockdown wasn't long enough, based on the current situation of spiking cases, while not also knowing exactly how long it should have been? I'm not sure anyone knows how long it should have been.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4499 on: July 14, 2020, 09:27:25 AM »

Further news in Colorado Springs. The Colorado Springs City Council has delayed its vote on an emergency mask mandate: https://krdo.com/news/2020/07/13/colorado-springs-city-council-discusses-mask-ordinance-as-protesters-gather-outside/. As I should have expected, people here are protesting such an order, and there are some members of the City Council who are concerned about whether or not it could be enforced, or whether the penalties within the ordinance are too harsh. Governor Polis, when asked last week why he was not issuing a statewide mask mandate, expressed concerns about enforcement, although he's waged a vigorous social media campaign urging people to wear them (i.e. "Wear a damn mask", etc.) Mayor Suthers in the Springs expressed similar concerns.

Anecdotally, I worked yesterday, and the same stubborn 50-50 divide is persisting at my job. Coronavirus, moreover, is hitting even closer to home for me, as we were informed by our manager that an employee tested positive for coronavirus last week. This is the first case at our store. Our manager reiterated the importance of wearing masks, practicing social distancing, and adhering to sanitary practices (i.e. washing your hands, cleaning off counters/items, etc.) However, you cannot cure stupid, as some of the people who attended that meeting went right back to their ignorant behaviors after leaving it. I've mentioned how many of my co-workers have not been wearing their masks when not on the clock, and some haven't even when on the clock; those are the behaviors I'm referring to. If things don't change, we'll have another case.

Fortunately, I did not work in close proximity to that employee, nor was I there on the last day that they worked prior to being tested. This of course, is no guarantee, given that they may have infected other co-workers and/or customers. So all I can do is wait and see what happens. This is now the second scare I've had with potential coronavirus infection, following the case at my local grocery store back in late March.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 177 178 179 [180] 181 182 183 184 185 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies