COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:31:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 127 128 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 266206 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3050 on: June 05, 2020, 10:33:26 PM »

Ugh, so many people without masks including inside stores.

Yeah, that's where we're at. At this point, I'm fine with it.

Well, it seems we as a country decided on the really long lockdown because we didn't half ass it.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3051 on: June 06, 2020, 12:08:29 AM »
« Edited: June 06, 2020, 12:11:57 AM by forumlurker »

Ugh, so many people without masks including inside stores.

Yeah, that's where we're at. At this point, I'm fine with it.
20,000 cases per day is where we were when we had the lockdowns begin in most places. Just because the media doesn’t report on it anymore (too busy looking woke) doesn’t mean it isn’t a threat.
These protests will also make it even worse (which is why they deserve whatever Trump throws at them)
Masks should be mandatory at this point, we are still seeing high case growth.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #3052 on: June 06, 2020, 01:14:41 AM »

It appears that the virus is mutating in the right direction rather than the wrong direction, scientists saying it's been getting less deadly. This checks out too because SARS did the same thing.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #3053 on: June 06, 2020, 01:27:34 AM »

Well, there are often days that don't align with other days, but I'm afraid we will be seeing cases creep back up. Ugh.

That said, I won't blame just the protests. Even before they started, the number of people wearing masks and staying home had already begun to decline here.

There was actually a great socially distant protest here in Madison--they were in cars and blocking part of the main arterial highway. People could still get around/to their destinations, but it was certainly an inconvenience, and protestors were in their own cars. I'm all about more protests like that. Gain attention, make sure emergency services can still get through, and stay socially distant. Perfect protest during a pandemic.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3054 on: June 06, 2020, 01:35:28 AM »

Well, there are often days that don't align with other days, but I'm afraid we will be seeing cases creep back up. Ugh.

That said, I won't blame just the protests. Even before they started, the number of people wearing masks and staying home had already begun to decline here.

There was actually a great socially distant protest here in Madison--they were in cars and blocking part of the main arterial highway. People could still get around/to their destinations, but it was certainly an inconvenience, and protestors were in their own cars. I'm all about more protests like that. Gain attention, make sure emergency services can still get through, and stay socially distant. Perfect protest during a pandemic.

Try reading the thread before saying this. Several states including MI and MN just dumped probable cases and deaths, and we just reached an all time testing high.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #3055 on: June 06, 2020, 01:47:56 AM »

To help with some of the confusion:

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3056 on: June 06, 2020, 02:19:56 AM »

Maybe it's confirmation bias or something, but it seems like on the downslope there's always been an excuse why a bad day is not as bad as it looks.

All this means is that it was even worse than we knew before.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #3057 on: June 06, 2020, 02:26:33 AM »

Thursdays and Fridays have consistently been the worst two days of the week for a while now.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #3058 on: June 06, 2020, 07:13:44 AM »

I hope we can all agree that doing 500,000 tests and finding 25,000 cases is better than the days when we were doing only 80,000 tests and finding 35,000 cases.

The decline in cases since 2 months ago is pretty unambiguous.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3059 on: June 06, 2020, 08:10:59 AM »

I hope we can all agree that doing 500,000 tests and finding 25,000 cases is better than the days when we were doing only 80,000 tests and finding 35,000 cases.

The decline in cases since 2 months ago is pretty unambiguous.

The decline is certainly unambiguous.  That's good news.

We're still at 20-25K cases and 800-1000 deaths per day.  That's bad news.

We're on a good track but it's way too soon to declare victory. I'm fine with continuing a gradual reopening and proceeding based on results.  But it's not yet time to throw everything open.  Here in Georgia, we've already seen cases start to tick back up (even controlling for the number of tests) since things began to reopen.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3060 on: June 06, 2020, 10:36:45 AM »

If it were random testing, yes.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #3061 on: June 06, 2020, 11:40:44 AM »
« Edited: June 06, 2020, 11:44:32 AM by Donald Trump’s Toupée »

This is a serious question: Why do we still have to wear masks still in stores?

The amount of people protesting and rioting nation and world wide make those masks now completely irrelevant. You’re not saving anyone at this point.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3062 on: June 06, 2020, 12:25:17 PM »

The amount of people protesting and rioting nation and world wide make those masks now completely irrelevant. You’re not saving anyone at this point.

Math. Every action taken to prevent or spread infection helps. It's not an all or nothing proposition. Pandemics are a math problem. If you never get infected, you don't infect the next two, who don't infect the next two and so on. Despite the many false proclamations that the virus is already prevalent in most of the population as you've seen repeated and falsely stated in this thread, we now know this is nonsense because large numbers are still being infected and dying. If we were at herd immunity this would not be the case.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3063 on: June 06, 2020, 12:30:27 PM »

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #3064 on: June 06, 2020, 01:44:11 PM »

What percentage of people the country do you think are actively protesting (or “rioting”)?
What percentage do you think are going to stores?
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #3065 on: June 06, 2020, 02:04:09 PM »

What percentage of people the country do you think are actively protesting (or “rioting”)?

Do you not understand how exponential spread works?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3066 on: June 06, 2020, 02:17:57 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3067 on: June 06, 2020, 02:31:27 PM »

What happens if they reach capacity?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #3068 on: June 06, 2020, 02:51:05 PM »

Do you not understand how exponential spread works?

So you think if a handful of people don’t wear masks it is pointless for anyone to wear a mask?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3069 on: June 06, 2020, 03:18:15 PM »

What happens if they reach capacity?
Either they are lucky and able to transport some patients to more equipped areas, or they have to decide who dies.
This is why you f**king listen to Dr Fauci when he says to keep social distancing.
Shouldn’t have celebrated Memorial Day in crowded venues, Arizona.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3070 on: June 06, 2020, 04:42:10 PM »

You all laughed at Del Tachi saying that scientists could have personal or political motivations.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3071 on: June 06, 2020, 04:57:51 PM »

You all laughed at Del Tachi saying that scientists could have personal or political motivations.

Even if they do it doesn't mean the lockdowns they advocated for two months ago were bad. This is an ad hominem argument and it's intellectually lazy.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3072 on: June 06, 2020, 05:55:17 PM »

Math. Every action taken to prevent or spread infection helps. It's not an all or nothing proposition. Pandemics are a math problem. If you never get infected, you don't infect the next two, who don't infect the next two and so on. Despite the many false proclamations that the virus is already prevalent in most of the population as you've seen repeated and falsely stated in this thread, we now know this is nonsense because large numbers are still being infected and dying. If we were at herd immunity this would not be the case.

Now, even the WHO has changed its guidance to recommend that people wear masks in public: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/05/health/coronavirus-masks-who.html. This move is very belated, and doesn't make sense at such a juncture like this. Nevertheless, as I've said before, many people aren't going to heed it unless they are required to. It seems like with each passing week, the number of maskless individuals in public increases. At my job today, I had a maskless customer who told us that employees should not be wearing masks anymore, as a return to normalcy.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3073 on: June 06, 2020, 06:03:18 PM »

I was a supporter of the restrictions, but the political motivations and double standards of these "experts" has resulted in me cutting my support. I don't want to hear any more "6 ft apart" or "wear a mask". I will be doing neither. F*** you and your agenda.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #3074 on: June 06, 2020, 06:05:15 PM »

At my job today, I had a maskless customer who told us that employees should not be wearing masks anymore, as a return to normalcy.

I think a lot of people out there consider masking to be a reminder of how bad things were, and they want to put it behind them.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 127 128 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies