SENATE BILL: Single Use Glass and Plastic Discouraging Act (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:13:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Single Use Glass and Plastic Discouraging Act (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Single Use Glass and Plastic Discouraging Act (Failed)  (Read 2396 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: April 24, 2020, 03:30:03 AM »
« edited: April 24, 2020, 03:34:43 AM by Progressive Benedict Option »

I have to say I'm usually skeptical of legislation that bans single-use plastics, for the simple reason that 90% of plastic pollution is caused by the actions of Asian and African countries, but my main objection to this bill is the banning of plastic straws which people with disabilities depend on because it is the only straw type which is affordable, easily available, safe in hot liquids, and does not pose an allergy or choking/injury risk to those who use them.  I am submitting this amendment so that we do not impose an unfair burden on people with disabilities:

Quote from: Amendment
Section 4: Single use plastics bans
1. Starting on July 1st, 2021; the sale of the following products across the Republic of Atlasia shall be banned if they are made of single-use plastics or oxo-degradable plastic:
a) Cotton bud sticks
b) Plastic plates and cutlery
c) Straws
c) Sticks to be attached to and support balloons
d) Food containers intended for meals ready for immediate consumption and made out of expanded polystirene
e) Beverage containers made up of expanded polystyrene
f) Cups made up of expanded polystyrene
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 03:54:51 AM »

I have to say I'm usually skeptical of legislation that bans single-use plastics, for the simple reason that 90% of plastic pollution is caused by the actions of Asian and African countries, but my main objection to this bill is the banning of plastic straws which people with disabilities depend on because it is the only straw type which is affordable, easily available, safe in hot liquids, and does not pose an allergy or choking/injury risk to those who use them.  I am submitting this amendment so that we do not impose an unfair burden on people with disabilities:

Well, I realize that most pollution is caused by foreign countries but that should not stop us from doing our job.

Anyways, I would definitely object to that amendment though I do have a counterproposal ready (basically taxing straws at 5 cents per unit).

Still, before I do formally introduce it, what about paper straws? They are indeed worse than regular plastic straws, I will not lie but I imagine they still get the job done? Or are they worse for the environment anyways and so they shouldn't be used?

Paper is still not a safe alternative:

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 04:07:36 AM »

I'm objecting to the amendment because the tax would either be passed on to the disabled people who use these straws or at least force them to request those straws to accommodate their disability.  This bill already eliminates most other single-use plastics; there's no need to make life more difficult for people who depend on these straws.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 06:00:44 AM »

Aye
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 01:00:05 AM »

Reading over the bill again and considering Jimmy's concerns, I have to admit I'm on the fence towards much of the rest of the bill.  I think what we're essentially doing is weighing between a tax on the poor versus a motion that will have minimal impact on reducing environmental damage on our part - while in real life we have an entire movement dedicated to implementing a "Green New Deal" to simultaneously address saving the environment and restructuring the economy for people who need it most.  (Although the GND as written is mostly vague platitudes and lacking in real policy changes, and no one knows how much it would cost or how/if it could be implemented effectively.)

But I would be more likely to support the bill if we make all the new taxes refundable.  Section five should also be struck out entirely because it is extremely vague and contains no plan to achieve its goals.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 07:31:06 PM »

Reluctant Nay
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length