SENATE BILL: Single Use Glass and Plastic Discouraging Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:37:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Single Use Glass and Plastic Discouraging Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Single Use Glass and Plastic Discouraging Act (Failed)  (Read 2410 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2020, 02:18:54 AM »
« edited: June 20, 2020, 11:08:53 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

SENATE BILL
To encourage the recycling and discourage the single use of plastics and glass materials

Be it enacted in both Houses of Congress Assembled,

Section 1: Name
1. This bill may be referred to as the "Single use glass and plastic discouraging act"

Section 2: Refundable Deposits
1. A deposit of 10 cents shall be paid by consumers on all sales of glass bottles
2. A deposit of 5 cents shall be paid by consumers on all sales of aluminium cans
3. A deposit of 30 cents shall be paid by consumers on all sales of plastic bottles
4. These deposits shall be paid on top of any additional regional, state or local deposits.
5. These deposits shall be refunded to the consumer after delivering the empty container intact at any recycling point.
6. All supermarkets and other convenience stores with a surface area larger than 2000 square feet shall be considered recycling points for the purposes of this act. These establishments shall be responsible for tdelivering the received containers to a processing plant where they can be adequately recycled

Section 3: Non-refundable taxes
1. A tax of 5 cents shall be imposed on all sales of plastic bags
2. These taxes shall be imposed on top of any regional, state or local taxes

Section 4: Single use plastics bans
1. Starting on July 1st, 2021; the sale of the following products across the Republic of Atlasia shall be banned if they are made of single-use plastics or oxo-degradable plastic:
a) Cotton bud sticks
b) Plastic plates and cutlery
c) Straws
d) Sticks to be attached to and support balloons
e) Food containers intended for meals ready for immediate consumption and made out of expanded polystirene
f) Beberage containers made up of expanded polystyrene
g) Cups made up of expanded polystyrene

Section 5: Future goals
1. The Republic of Atlasia and its government shall pass the necessary measures to ensure that 90% of plastics are collected and explicitly separated for recycling by the year 2029
2. The Republic of Atlasia and its government shall pass the necessary measures to ensure that 25% of plastics are made of recycled materials by the year 2025; and 30% by the year 2030.

Section 6: Enactment
1. Except for the parts that specify otherwise, this bill shall be enacted 1 month after passage

Sponsor: Tack50
Senate Designation: SB23:16
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 02:21:08 AM »

Sponsor!!!!
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 03:30:03 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2020, 03:34:43 AM by Progressive Benedict Option »

I have to say I'm usually skeptical of legislation that bans single-use plastics, for the simple reason that 90% of plastic pollution is caused by the actions of Asian and African countries, but my main objection to this bill is the banning of plastic straws which people with disabilities depend on because it is the only straw type which is affordable, easily available, safe in hot liquids, and does not pose an allergy or choking/injury risk to those who use them.  I am submitting this amendment so that we do not impose an unfair burden on people with disabilities:

Quote from: Amendment
1. Starting on July 1st, 2021; the sale of the following products across the Republic of Atlasia shall be banned if they are made of single-use plastics or oxo-degradable plastic:
a) Cotton bud sticks
c) Straws
c) Sticks to be attached to and support balloons
d) Food containers intended for meals ready for immediate consumption and made out of expanded polystirene
e) Beverage containers made up of expanded polystyrene
f) Cups made up of expanded polystyrene
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 03:42:30 AM »

I have to say I'm usually skeptical of legislation that bans single-use plastics, for the simple reason that 90% of plastic pollution is caused by the actions of Asian and African countries, but my main objection to this bill is the banning of plastic straws which people with disabilities depend on because it is the only straw type which is affordable, easily available, safe in hot liquids, and does not pose an allergy or choking/injury risk to those who use them.  I am submitting this amendment so that we do not impose an unfair burden on people with disabilities:

Well, I realize that most pollution is caused by foreign countries but that should not stop us from doing our job.

Anyways, I would definitely object to that amendment though I do have a counterproposal ready (basically taxing straws at 5 cents per unit).

Still, before I do formally introduce it, what about paper straws? They are indeed worse than regular plastic straws, I will not lie but I imagine they still get the job done? Or are they worse for the environment anyways and so they shouldn't be used?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 03:48:35 AM »

Thank you Mr. PPT.

I have introduced this piece of legislation in order to discourage and reduce the usage of single-use plastics in Atlasia, especially (but not exclusively) those used for the consumption of food and drinks.

This is done in 3 ways. First a system of refundable deposits will be introduced. Under this system, consumers will have to return their empty containers to a supermarket or another sort of recycling facility, so that it is later sent to a recycling plant and processed. Several products, from aluminium cans to especially plastic bottles; would be taxed and the tax refunded to the consumer once they return the product in question. This system has proven to be effective and is in fact already in operation in several countries (most notably Germany)

The second is a regular tax, applied for now only on plastic bags, though I might extend it to straws as per Scott's argument.

The final one is a regular ban on certain widely used single use-plastics. Most notably plastic cutlery. ´
I also included Atlasia setting up some goals for the recycling of products.

This legislation should be quite effective at reducing the amount of plastic and glass we use and therefore make the country more environmentally friendly and sustainable.

As per usual for transparency, parts of this bill were very loosely based on some RL EU directive while others were drafted fully by myself.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 03:54:51 AM »

Well, I realize that most pollution is caused by foreign countries but that should not stop us from doing our job.

Anyways, I would definitely object to that amendment though I do have a counterproposal ready (basically taxing straws at 5 cents per unit).

Still, before I do formally introduce it, what about paper straws? They are indeed worse than regular plastic straws, I will not lie but I imagine they still get the job done? Or are they worse for the environment anyways and so they shouldn't be used?

Paper is still not a safe alternative:

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 04:00:11 AM »

Ok, introducing the following amendment then:

SENATE BILL
To encourage the recycling and discourage the single use of plastics and glass materials

Be it enacted in both Houses of Congress Assembled,

Section 1: Name
1. This bill may be referred to as the "Single use glass and plastic discouraging act"

Section 2: Refundable Deposits
1. A deposit of 10 cents shall be paid by consumers on all sales of glass bottles
2. A deposit of 5 cents shall be paid by consumers on all sales of aluminium cans
3. A deposit of 30 cents shall be paid by consumers on all sales of plastic bottles
4. These deposits shall be paid on top of any additional regional, state or local deposits.
5. These deposits shall be refunded to the consumer after delivering the empty container intact in recyclable shape at any recycling point.
6. All supermarkets and other convenience stores with a surface area larger than 2000 square feet shall be considered recycling points for the purposes of this act. These establishments shall be responsible for delivering the received containers to a processing plant where they can be adequately recycled.
7. Section 2.6 shall not be construed as to limit the implementation of recycling points in any other sort of establishment or store

Section 3: Non-refundable taxes
1. A tax of 5 cents shall be imposed on all sales of plastic bags
2. A tax of 5 cents per straw shall be imposed on all sales of plastic straws
3. These taxes shall be imposed on top of any regional, state or local taxes

a) Cotton bud sticks
c) Straws
d) Food containers intended for meals ready for immediate consumption and made out of expanded polystirene
e) Beberage containers made up of expanded polystyrene

Section 5: Future goals
1. The Republic of Atlasia and its government shall pass the necessary measures to ensure that 90% of plastics are collected and explicitly separated for recycling by the year 2029
2. The Republic of Atlasia and its government shall pass the necessary measures to ensure that 25% of plastics are made of recycled materials by the year 2025; and 30% by the year 2030.

Section 6: Enactment
1. Except for the parts that specify otherwise, this bill shall be enacted 1 month after passage
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 04:07:36 AM »

I'm objecting to the amendment because the tax would either be passed on to the disabled people who use these straws or at least force them to request those straws to accommodate their disability.  This bill already eliminates most other single-use plastics; there's no need to make life more difficult for people who depend on these straws.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 11:24:01 AM »

I'm objecting to the amendment because the tax would either be passed on to the disabled people who use these straws or at least force them to request those straws to accommodate their disability.  This bill already eliminates most other single-use plastics; there's no need to make life more difficult for people who depend on these straws.

At minimum however, I'd say ensuring the reverse is a good idea: mandate that restaurants also offer an alternative option?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 11:38:20 AM »

Senators have 24 hours to object.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 11:40:38 AM »

I don't support this bill as written. Section 2 will be a big tax on the poor. I also have a big problem with Section 4 since a lot of those uses don't have a cost-effective alternative material.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 12:01:34 PM »

Does this refer to Scott's amendment or my own amendment?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 05:30:02 PM »

Scott's, I misread your post.

Try to avoid burying procedural motions actions in debate text.

I will start vote when I get home.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 11:41:03 PM »

Quote from: Amendment S23:18 by Scott
a) Cotton bud sticks
c) Straws
e) Beverage containers made up of expanded polystyrene
[/quote]

Sponsor Feedback: Hostile
Status: A vote is now open on the above amendment, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 11:41:30 PM »

AYE
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 05:53:36 AM »

Nay
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2020, 06:00:44 AM »

Aye
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2020, 06:14:27 PM »

Aye
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2020, 06:18:40 PM »

Note for Yankee: if the Scott amendment passes, consider my amendment withdrawn as I do not think it makes sense to relitigate the issue
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 07:09:10 PM »

I don't support this bill as written. Section 2 will be a big tax on the poor. I also have a big problem with Section 4 since a lot of those uses don't have a cost-effective alternative material.

^

This really should be addressed after Scott's amendment is voted on.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 07:28:31 PM »

Bottle deposits are good because you can actually get the money back and it encourages recycling. But 30 cents is too high.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2020, 07:48:47 PM »

Bottle deposits are good because you can actually get the money back and it encourages recycling. But 30 cents is too high.

For what is worth I based it off comparable systems. For example Germany's deposit is 25 cents.

However I am open to lowering the deposit if the Senate wants it
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2020, 10:15:04 PM »

Note for Yankee: if the Scott amendment passes, consider my amendment withdrawn as I do not think it makes sense to relitigate the issue

Owing to the fact that we have less amendments, we very rarely have had to deal with amendments conflicting together.

To say that the pre-reset was a wild and disorganized place that got more organized over time would be an understatement. There were instances in 2011 where Amendments really got passed that reversed the amendment just prior, even though such amendments didn't have the intent of doing so.

Eventually we had to get very strict and process oriented, precisely to avoid that kind of pitfalls. Amendments had to clearly state was being amended and if non included text was left alone. Though these were minor tweaks to overall text of the Senate rules, they helped contribute to the sense of "over complexity and legalism" that the radical types sought to wrap around my neck.

We take the simple things for granted these days, that couldn't be afforded in 2009-2011 as we had massively productive Senates for the first time with large numbers of bills and large numbers of amendments. That stuff had to be worked through, resolved and rules modified to accommodate it. Like most things, the radicals answer was to just turn the clock back to 2008, eventually they got their wish in late 2014 under the cover of "cutting the word count".

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2020, 10:17:53 PM »

For what is worth I based it off comparable systems. For example Germany's deposit is 25 cents.

However I am open to lowering the deposit if the Senate wants it

Story Time Part II.

When we lived up north, we used to collect cans bottles etc and drive to NY to stuff them in the machines. Not sure if this was legal when we lived in PA but... One of the things that we had to get used to was when we moved down here, there was no such thing.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2020, 03:06:58 AM »

Vote on Amendment:

Aye (3): LT, NC Yankee and Scott
Nay (1): Tack50
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (2): Devout and Pyro.

The amendment has been adopted.