HB 23-18: Atlas Fantasy Government Board Description Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:48:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 23-18: Atlas Fantasy Government Board Description Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HB 23-18: Atlas Fantasy Government Board Description Act (Passed)  (Read 1557 times)
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2020, 08:35:45 PM »
« edited: May 11, 2020, 09:08:23 PM by Speaker Thumb21 »

Atlas Fantasy Government Board Description Act

As requested by Virginia, an Act to provide a description for the Atlas Fantasy Government board and creation of regional government sub boards.

Be it enacted by the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia assembled

A formal request shall be made to the moderators of the Atlas Forum that:

1. The description added to the Atlas Fantasy Government Board should state:
"Government of the Republic of Atlasia, including the Atlasian House, Senate, Presidency and Supreme Court".

2. Sub boards should be created for each of Atlasia's regions under the Atlas Fantasy Government board. The regions shall be responsible for passing legislation with a suggested description for their sub board.

Sponsor: Cinyc
House Designation: HB 23-18

72 hours to debate.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 09:25:34 PM »

This bill is a good idea.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 09:37:37 PM »

This bill is a placeholder and just a first draft. I'd be happy to discuss what the language should be, if anyone has any alternate formulations.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 11:00:55 PM »

If sub-boards are created for each region, will the old 'regional governments' sub-board remain? Will any regional bills (say, those passed post-reset) be transferred from the old boards to the new one?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 11:06:08 PM »

I do not know what to think of this bill. It will certainly make things VERY painful next time we reorganize the regions. Or perhaps not, adding a region is less inconvenient than eliminating one under this regimen.
I'm loosely supportive as of right now.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 12:10:09 PM »

If sub-boards are created for each region, will the old 'regional governments' sub-board remain? Will any regional bills (say, those passed post-reset) be transferred from the old boards to the new one?

I assume we could keep and archive the old regional governments board. But that's ultimately a technical issue for Virginia.

I do not know what to think of this bill. It will certainly make things VERY painful next time we reorganize the regions. Or perhaps not, adding a region is less inconvenient than eliminating one under this regimen.
I'm loosely supportive as of right now.

We've been asked by Virginia to pass legislation about a board description and regional sub boards. Many regions have expressed interest in having their own sub boards. What to do is a matter of debate.

Like I said, this bill is a placeholder to start that discussion. I'm not wedded to any part of it.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 07:51:59 AM »

I think section 1 is great, section 2 on the other hand I disagree with. I think we should keep the existing board as is and adapt a description that all regions can agree on. Maybe leave it up to referendum.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 12:26:13 PM »

I'm happy with both sections of this personally.

But, it will give the moderators a lot of work, any changes to the regions such as adding or removing regions in future will need the mods to be able to respond and act quickly. 4 years worth of threads for the different regions will need to be organised into new sub-boards and all the old regional boards will need to be archived somewhere.

But, if they are fine with that workload, then that's great.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 12:40:56 PM »

Both sections seem good to me. Although as Thumb said the workload would be heavy on the moderators to organize all the regional boards, but if they are willing to do it then it's all good.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 01:14:32 PM »

Should we vote on part 2? I if so, I or someone can propose an amendment that says we wish to keep the current regional board structure.
Encke
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 01:41:53 PM »

For the record, I'm perfectly fine with the creation of regional boards so long as it is guaranteed that the 1. mods will be willing to take the time to transfer post-reset regional legislation into the proper boards, and 2. that pre-reset stuff will be kept in the old regional governments board.
Encke
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 01:46:50 PM »

However, regarding Section 2, I think it might be better if the regions individually passed resolutions expressing desire for the creation of regional boards (unless they have already; haven't been keeping up on regional legislation recently). The creation of regional boards doesn't affect the federal government so I'm not sure why we should be the ones suggesting that they be created.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 04:50:12 PM »

However, regarding Section 2, I think it might be better if the regions individually passed resolutions expressing desire for the creation of regional boards (unless they have already; haven't been keeping up on regional legislation recently). The creation of regional boards doesn't affect the federal government so I'm not sure why we should be the ones suggesting that they be created.

We can't have regional boards for only one or two regions. That wouldn't make sense. If two opt in, the old board will essentially be the third region's board.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 04:24:18 PM »

An amendment to specifically request that all threads for the post-reset regions are moved into the right sub-board and that those from before reset are archived. I also changed the language a little bit on point 2, though functionally the effect should be the same.

Atlas Fantasy Government Board Description Act

As requested by Virginia, an Act to provide a description for the Atlas Fantasy Government board and creation of regional government sub boards.

Be it enacted by the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia assembled

A formal request shall be made to the moderators of the Atlas Forum that:

1. The description added to the Atlas Fantasy Government Board should state:
"Government of the Republic of Atlasia, including the Atlasian House, Senate, Presidency and Supreme Court".

2. Sub boards should be created for each of Atlasia's regions under the Atlas Fantasy Government board to facilitate the passage of legislation and other proceedings of regional governments. The regions shall be responsible for passing legislation with a suggested description for their sub board. Descriptions may be added to regional sub boards on the request of the corresponding regional government.

3. All threads started in the Regional Governments sub board on or since June 9, 2016 shall be allocated to the correct regional sub board.

4. All threads started in the Regional Governments sub board before June 9, 2016 shall be allocated to a sub board of the Atlasian Fantasy Government board named "Regional Governments Archive."

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2020, 04:53:12 PM »

I oppose the splitting of the regional subboards. It seems I am in the minority here.

I especially oppose the current proposal however. That would basically mean Virginia diving through essencially 35 pages of threads and her painfully classifying them into each of the 3 new boards.

We should make Virginia's life easier, not harder!
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 05:00:33 PM »

I oppose the splitting of the regional subboards. It seems I am in the minority here.

I especially oppose the current proposal however. That would basically mean Virginia diving through essencially 35 pages of threads and her painfully classifying them into each of the 3 new boards.

As I said, my support for splitting up the regional threads is conditional on Virginia or other mods being willing to do that. It is a lot of work, and if the mods feel it is too much, then there is no issue leaving it as is.
Encke
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2020, 05:22:38 PM »

As I said, my support for splitting up the regional threads is conditional on Virginia or other mods being willing to do that. It is a lot of work, and if the mods feel it is too much, then there is no issue leaving it as is.

Agreed. If we want regional boards, then I think it is important that the old material be sorted into the correct board; if this is too much work for the mods, then there's no harm leaving the regional governments in the current board.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2020, 01:59:39 PM »

Amendment is not friendly. I don't see any reason to make work for Virginia. As long as the board is archived somewhere, it should be fine as is.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2020, 02:24:17 PM »

Perhaps just active threads can be moved, not the whole thing? Also, wouldn’t the moderators, Gustafson, Yank and Lumine, also be able to move them?
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 02:31:38 PM »

Amendment vote

72 hours
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 02:38:25 PM »

I won't be supporting section 2 if this amendment doesn't pass. Not moving the threads would create a lot of problems for regional politicians who'd have their threads split between two boards, which would make things worse, not better. If we are gonna do regional threads, we should do it fully, or not at all in my opinion.

Perhaps just active threads can be moved, not the whole thing? Also, wouldn’t the moderators, Gustafson, Yank and Lumine, also be able to move them?

Thats possible, or we could only ask for threads from the last 6 months to be moved, but I'm still a little concerned that it could be too messy for historical records sake for example.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2020, 03:48:48 PM »

Nay on the amendment.

I'm worried about creating unnecessary work for the mods. As long as the board is archived, people should be able to find the old regional laws.
Encke
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2020, 05:48:26 PM »

Question for anyone who can answer: if some legislation is moved from the old regional governments board to new regional boards, do links to the relevant legislation still work (say, links posted on the Wiki)? Will the old regional board be filled with those 'this topic has been moved' posts that link to the new post in the other board?
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2020, 01:25:10 PM »

Aye
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States