MD-GOV 2022: Can Maryland GOP win a third gubernatorial term in 2022?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:18:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-GOV 2022: Can Maryland GOP win a third gubernatorial term in 2022?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Poll
Question: Can Maryland GOP win a third term in 2022?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 180

Author Topic: MD-GOV 2022: Can Maryland GOP win a third gubernatorial term in 2022?  (Read 19854 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2021, 02:19:17 PM »

No, pretty much. Michael Steele is a joke and I hope he loses the primary.

How is Steele a joke, the first Black RNC chair who helped the GOP win control of the House and created the wave year of 2010?

How is that a joke? He made MD-SEN 2006 competitive in a Democratic wave year, what do you mean he is a joke?

Steele and Glassman are the only ones who would make this race engaging, despite Franchot being the heir apparent.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2021, 02:25:48 PM »

How is Steele a joke, the first Black RNC chair who helped the GOP win control of the House and created the wave year of 2010?

How is that a joke? He made MD-SEN 2006 competitive in a Democratic wave year, what do you mean he is a joke?

Steele and Glassman are the only ones who would make this race engaging, despite Franchot being the heir apparent.
I mean Steele has the potential to be a decent strong candidate but he endorsed Biden this year and with how the GOP has been lately I just don't see how he wins the primary and even if he narrowly does do you really think the Trumpists will come out in full force for him? Tbh even with Rutherford or Steele I wouldn't put this at anything more competitive than Likely D  unless the Democrat had some huge scandal and the national environment was like R+8 or something.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2021, 02:39:12 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2021, 02:45:53 PM by beesley »

In my opinion, (keyword: opinion) he's another of these cynical fake moderate Boris Johnson types that repeatedly mislead the electorate and act entitled, like they're going to save America by helping the Lincoln Project when they're not free of culpability for the current situation and have conveniently shifted their views depending on the flavour of the month, no less so than even people like Ted Cruz. Sure he has achieved things but he's not the sort of person we should start lauding as a great person (or great candidate, he would lose) because he's suddenly moderate and black. The same goes for Charlie Baker who is lauded as some sort of trailblazing great guy because of his high approval ratings, even though he has had scandals and supported several bad policies.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2021, 02:49:20 PM »

I mean Steele has the potential to be a decent strong candidate but he endorsed Biden this year and with how the GOP has been lately I just don't see how he wins the primary and even if he narrowly does do you really think the Trumpists will come out in full force for him? Tbh even with Rutherford or Steele I wouldn't put this at anything more competitive than Likely D  unless the Democrat had some huge scandal and the national environment was like R+8 or something.

That is true....but isn't the MDGOP different than the VAGOP or the NCGOP? Larry Hogan is anti-Trump and he fits the bill...
Lognog
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2021, 04:18:27 PM »

That is true....but isn't the MDGOP different than the VAGOP or the NCGOP? Larry Hogan is anti-Trump and he fits the bill...

Hogan is the exception not the rule. He comes from a political dynasty. Not to mention he won his primary pre Trump. In 2018, he won renomination just because he was so popular.

I can accept the argument that perhaps the MD GOP is slightly more moderate than the national GOP, however it's no MA or VT GOP by any stretch of the imagination.

Steele cannot win the primary. He is just too anti-Trump
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2021, 09:06:21 PM »

Ds will win by 20+ if not 25+. 

Deal with it, Bronz.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2021, 09:25:57 PM »

Hogan is the exception not the rule. He comes from a political dynasty. Not to mention he won his primary pre Trump. In 2018, he won renomination just because he was so popular.

I can accept the argument that perhaps the MD GOP is slightly more moderate than the national GOP, however it's no MA or VT GOP by any stretch of the imagination.

Steele could run as an Independent as well.......
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2021, 09:31:35 PM »

Deal with it, Bronz.

Does Franchot or whoever the MDDP nominee is win Baltimore County? Balt. County is a bellwether in politics.......
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2021, 09:59:37 PM »

Deal with it, Bronz.

Does Franchot or whoever the MDDP nominee is win Baltimore County? Balt. County is a bellwether in politics.......
A Biden+27 County is not a bellwether county. Best case for Rs is to lose it by less than 15.
Ex-Assemblyman Steelers
Steelers
Serbia and Montenegro

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2021, 09:42:16 AM »

I hope no.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2021, 11:34:25 AM »

Steele could run as an Independent as well.......

I mean he could. It would go terribly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_United_States_Senate_election_in_Maryland
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2021, 12:25:10 PM »

When are we gonna see a MD poll, I realize this is a Lean D takeover like PA, but there hasn't been one poll
swf541

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2021, 04:46:26 PM »

When are we gonna see a MD poll, I realize this is a Lean D takeover like PA, but there hasn't been one poll

It's likely D at a min now with Rutherford not running.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2021, 05:41:21 PM »

A few things:

Looks like former Attorney General Doug Gansler is gearing up for a run: https://www.marylandmatters.org/blog/former-attorney-general-gansler-hires-campaign-manager/

John "Johnny O" Olszewski has announced that he's running for re-election as Baltimore County Executive, all but confirming that he won't be running for governor next year.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2021, 08:31:14 PM »

As a former Marylander, I would absolutely love to see Elrich run (I volunteered a lot for his campaign in 2018) or Brian Frosh. Sadly, I think they are both a bit too old for the job, but they would be amazing
JMT

« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2021, 11:32:36 AM »

David Trone NOT running for Governor:

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2021, 12:20:23 PM »

He didn't 'create' the 2010 Republican wave. We can argue all day about the actual effect of campaign resources on elections, but it's pretty widely accepted that unpopular presidents end up facing midterm backlashes. Obama was an unpopular president presiding over a slow recession recovery while also supercharging the cultural grievances of conservatives by simply existing as POTUS.

Republicans could have had a literal elephant running the RNC and they still would have destroyed the Democratic Party across the nation in 2010.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2021, 02:53:56 PM »

As a former Marylander, I would absolutely love to see Elrich run (I volunteered a lot for his campaign in 2018) or Brian Frosh. Sadly, I think they are both a bit too old for the job, but they would be amazing

He Demonized Kathleen Kennedy Townsend I would never support him anyways he lost to O'Malley in 2006

If it was O'malley/Kaine v Trump/Pence instead of Hillary we would have won in 2016

Bill Clinton did way too much that cost us 3 Judges to get Hillary elected by going to Loretta Lynch

That's why it was relatively easy to beat Trump this time, Hillary was the problem
Lognog
United States

« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2021, 03:13:39 PM »

He Demonized Kathleen Kennedy Townsend I would never support him anyways he lost to O'Malley in 2006

If it was O'malley/Kaine v Trump/Pence instead of Hillary we would have won in 2016

Bill Clinton did way too much that cost us 3 Judges to get Hillary elected by going to Loretta Lynch

That's why it was relatively easy to beat Trump this time, Hillary was the problem

Even for you, this was incredibly confusing
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2021, 08:25:08 PM »

Outgoing Republican Gov. Larry Hogan will leave office in 2023, and his political career will probably end there as well as he plans to mount a longshot bid for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination as a moderate Northeastern Republican who won in a blue state (like Christie and Giuliani).....

This 2022 Maryland governor's race is seen as Safe D, as Lt. Gov. Boyd Rutherford, the best Republican to hold on this seat declined to run.

Maryland controller Peter Franchot is the favorite to win the Democratic nomination and win the governorship for the Democrats for the first time since 2010....

junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2021, 08:27:38 PM »

Steny Hoyer should resign from the House and run for Gov
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2021, 08:32:19 PM »

Steny Hoyer should resign from the House and run for Gov

If he wants to have an actual purpose in his life, yes. Other than that, he and Pelosi are not friendly, both of them are old school Democratic politicians from Maryland....

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2021, 09:05:00 PM »

Absolutely the Republicans can win this race, all the GOP nominee needs to do is yell "Biden midterm." Imo the only thing left to be decided is whether or not the GOP breaks 70% in Prince George's County tbqh.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2021, 09:25:06 PM »

Absolutely the Republicans can win this race, all the GOP nominee needs to do is yell "Biden midterm." Imo the only thing left to be decided is whether or not the GOP breaks 70% in Prince George's County tbqh.

Wait till those Hogan-Biden voters get a load of the corporate tax rate that Biden is pushing in Congress. Page 31 and section G subsection 12.133 of the corporate tax bill has a tax increase of 1.2% on the current rate of 33.8% which applies to derrivatives. Maryland Ds are done
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2021, 10:35:17 PM »

Wait till those Hogan-Biden voters get a load of the corporate tax rate that Biden is pushing in Congress. Page 31 and section G subsection 12.133 of the corporate tax bill has a tax increase of 1.2% on the current rate of 33.8% which applies to derrivatives. Maryland Ds are done

Yeah the only hope that the Democrats have is to campaign on Young Kim's homophobia, maybe that can save them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies