MD-GOV 2022: Can Maryland GOP win a third gubernatorial term in 2022?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:21:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-GOV 2022: Can Maryland GOP win a third gubernatorial term in 2022?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
Poll
Question: Can Maryland GOP win a third term in 2022?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 180

Author Topic: MD-GOV 2022: Can Maryland GOP win a third gubernatorial term in 2022?  (Read 19518 times)
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2021, 11:29:51 AM »

is Rush Baker III going to jump in?

He's already in
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2021, 12:35:25 PM »

Not sure if this was already discussed but Kim Klacik is not running for governor, and will instead run for congress again, according to a tweet of hers from December of last year.

Which probably means she thinks the last election was "rigged against her" or she lost due to "fraud", or both. And yet republicans will still prop her up because she had that cool ad video and she's running against the Baltimore democratic establishment who has controlled that district for the past 70 years, and will likely continue to control it for as long as I live unless Maryland starts to lose seats.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2021, 09:50:35 AM »

Not sure if this was already discussed but Kim Klacik is not running for governor, and will instead run for congress again, according to a tweet of hers from December of last year.

Which probably means she thinks the last election was "rigged against her" or she lost due to "fraud", or both. And yet republicans will still prop her up because she had that cool ad video and she's running against the Baltimore democratic establishment who has controlled that district for the past 70 years, and will likely continue to control it for as long as I live unless Maryland starts to lose seats.

Remembering all the campaign signs for her that I saw around Cockeysville/Timonium makes me want to vomit. Of course, the key question on everyone's minds is whether Scott Cawthon will donate to her again out of the pure noble white savior reflexes in his heart of hearts.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2021, 12:04:24 PM »

A Trumpist was bound to jump into the race, considering how the MD GOP has been Trumpified over the last few years.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2021, 02:55:46 PM »

MDGOP has a chance at winning and keeping this seat compared to the ILGOP.........
slothdem

« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2021, 03:59:13 PM »

MDGOP has a chance at winning and keeping this seat compared to the ILGOP.........

There's a much better chance that the ILGOP wins their race than the MDGOP. There is almost no chance that Pritzker loses, however there is no chance the GOP holds this seat.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2021, 04:58:37 PM »

There's a much better chance that the ILGOP wins their race than the MDGOP. There is almost no chance that Pritzker loses, however there is no chance the GOP holds this seat.

If a corruption scandal emerges, he could lose, or if the Illinois economy spirals.....but that ILGOPer has to be a damn good candidate 
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2021, 11:14:29 AM »

Wes Moore just annouced an endorsement from the anne arundel county executive.

He seems like a really interesting and genuine guy, I hope he can break through.
swf541

« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2021, 01:40:54 PM »

Not if they nominate Cox...... (and even without Cox is exceedingly unlikely)
Duke of York

« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2021, 08:28:58 AM »

If Steele runs he would be the strongest candidate Republicans can put up but I have a difficult time seeing him getting the nomination.

Democrats are still favored to flip the Governorship.
slothdem

« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2021, 09:22:32 AM »

If Steele runs he would be the strongest candidate Republicans can put up but I have a difficult time seeing him getting the nomination.

Democrats are still favored to flip the Governorship.

Steele would be a "strong" candidate but his ceiling is still a loss somewhere in the mid-teens.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2021, 11:11:00 AM »

Steele is the only candidate with a real chance in the general, but there is absolutely no way he would win the nomination. MD Republicans are way to Trumpy to let him get the nom.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2021, 11:26:33 AM »

Steele said he will make a final Determination, I can see Steele winning
Duke of York

« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2021, 11:31:44 AM »

Steele said he will make a final Determination, I can see Steele winning

He'd have the the best chance but its hard to see him getting the nomination.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2021, 05:19:14 PM »

Steele is the only candidate with a real chance in the general, but there is absolutely no way he would win the nomination. MD Republicans are way to Trumpy to let him get the nom.

If the MDGOP is Trumpy how did Larry Hogan get the nomination in 2014? How come he was not primaried in 2018 like how Charlie Baker got challenged by Scott Lively and got attacked by Jim Lyons and other far right MAGOP people?
Spectator
United States

« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2021, 05:21:58 PM »

If the MDGOP is Trumpy how did Larry Hogan get the nomination in 2014? How come he was not primaried in 2018 like how Charlie Baker got challenged by Scott Lively and got attacked by Jim Lyons and other far right MAGOP people?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Maryland_Republican_presidential_primary
JMT

« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2021, 05:37:37 PM »

Duke of York

« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2021, 07:11:13 PM »

If the gets the nod the governorship will flip. I cannot see him winning a statewide election Maryland. He might even drag down candidates down ballot.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2021, 09:48:21 PM »

If the gets the nod the governorship will flip. I cannot see him winning a statewide election Maryland. He might even drag down candidates down ballot.

Are there any competitive races downballot? I feel like most races tend to be either safe D or safe R in Maryland.
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2021, 09:54:50 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2021, 10:16:04 PM by Roll Roons »

Are there any competitive races downballot? I feel like most races tend to be either safe D or safe R in Maryland.

Maybe a handful of legislative/county races. But yeah, all the congressional races (including Senate) will be safe and there's no doubt that Democrats will continue to control both chambers of the legislature, as they've done for over a century.

It's honestly kind of amazing that Maryland's consistently been a Democratic stronghold through so many different alignments, even as the internal coalitions have shifted.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2021, 10:09:00 PM »

Likely/Safe D, but Dems should not get cocky. It is a Biden midterm, after all.

Duke of York

« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2022, 08:19:29 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2022, 08:26:57 PM by Duke of York »

Maybe a handful of legislative/county races. But yeah, all the congressional races (including Senate) will be safe and there's no doubt that Democrats will continue to control both chambers of the legislature, as they've done for over a century.

It's honestly kind of amazing that Maryland's consistently been a Democratic stronghold through so many different alignments, even as the internal coalitions have shifted.

It really is. Democrats have held the House of Delegates for all but two years since 1900 and the state senate continuously since.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2022, 10:34:15 PM »

Tom Perez is the next Gov of MD
Sky Mault
Rookie
United States
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2022, 06:24:30 PM »

Larry Hogan endorsed Kelly Schulz Yesterday.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2022, 03:11:34 PM »

Actually, MD was not a Democratic stronghold pre-1992.

It voted for the GOP in 1984 and 1988, and went for Carter narrowly enough in 1980. Prior to that, it voted in a landslide for Nixon in 1972, and went for Humphrey only narrowly in 1968. Before which it went for the GOP in 1948 (even as Truman won nationally) and 1952 and 1956. It also went for the GOP from 1920-1928. In 1904 Roosevelt won the actual popular vote in MD by 51 votes. It also voted for McKinely twice. Admittedly, it was solidly blue from 1868-1892.

But before the Civil War it was a solidly Whig (not Democratic) state that went for the the Whig in every election from 1828 (Quincy over Jackson) and 1832, arguably the first race with a Whig and a Democrat (by four votes - the narrowest raw vote margin ever!!) to 1848, inclusive. It only went for the Democrat in 1852, by which time Clay had died and the Whig Party had basically collapsed, with Democratic candidate Pierce winning in a landslide.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies