Simulated NPC Elections (Update: legislation passed, rules upcoming, elections on the 25th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:38:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Simulated NPC Elections (Update: legislation passed, rules upcoming, elections on the 25th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Simulated NPC Elections (Update: legislation passed, rules upcoming, elections on the 25th)  (Read 2359 times)
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2020, 12:24:54 AM »

Regional parties will be represented in these elections? For instance:

Dixieland Patriots Party
Fianna Fremont
Fremont Atlasian Inquisition Chapter
Liberal Party
Lincoln Atlasian Inquisition Chapter
Meadowlark
Southern Atlasian Inquisition Chapter
Southern Liberty Coalition
Southern Trans Rights Party
Random and Miscellaneous state & local parties

Would have loved to, actually. The problem is that too few Atlasians are registered in regional parties, so it would turn the mechanism into something more exclusive towards the minority that play actively in such parties. Mind you, I'd like to come up with a way to include regional parties or allow people to play as those too (without going overboard with troll parties), but given this is an experimental phase I think federal parties will have to do unless I make it explicit that for regional parties to stand, players have to play as them and compete against the big parties (unless those stand aside).

That might work, but as I've said, regional parties are disadvantaged in that they have only a fraction of the player base.

Thing is, in federally noncompetitive regions like Fremont, regional parties might be the only sources of competition. In places like the South, the federal system would probably work well, but in the more solid regions it'll definitely work better to have some more diffrentiation.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2020, 02:40:42 AM »

Thing is, in federally noncompetitive regions like Fremont, regional parties might be the only sources of competition. In places like the South, the federal system would probably work well, but in the more solid regions it'll definitely work better to have some more diffrentiation.

Regional party registration in percentage terms is closer in Fremont and the South than it is between the South and Lincoln. In fact the regional party rego is more balanced in the South than is Fremont. Current regos can be seen here.

Key point is that regional parties should play a role even if it's only in coalition formation. This would actually make having a regional party more meaningful. Also isn't half the point of this to add flavour & depth to the in game world. Having regional parties do stuff in state elections would make sense, even if it's only in some state and not others. Also I'm not saying that regional parties should dominate state elections but some states should be regional parties play a meaningful if not significant role.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2020, 11:13:10 PM »

I proposed a system kind of like this, but instead of simulating NPC elections it would be simulating the federal elections, with quality campaigning becoming more important instead of it being almost entirely a popularity contest.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2020, 11:25:06 PM »

I proposed a system kind of like this, but instead of simulating NPC elections it would be simulating the federal elections, with quality campaigning becoming more important instead of it being almost entirely a popularity contest.

That strikes the wrong balance imo in taking too much control away from players and into the GM's hands, but this idea definitely has promise and I'm eager to see how it plays out.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2020, 10:11:00 AM »

That's basically the Election Games board, yes?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2020, 10:49:51 AM »

I've said it in some detail during my confirmation hearings, but no, we're not going down the route of simulated elections for player offices. Mind you, I don't think the game will fundamentally change (I mean a truly dramatic shift, there's certainly a lot of ways to make the game better) until the concept of zombies is done away with and the game becomes more conscious of quality instead of quantity, but I'm smart enough to recognize this isn't going to happen.

To quote from the hearings:

it's not an avenue that I will even give further consideration to, out of several good reasons: A. it never has had and never will have popular support, B. it lacks a practical way of being implemented even if it did have support (there would never be enough trust), C. it would alter the game in unimaginable ways, rendering it unrecognizable in some aspects, and D. its not and it won't be my role as GM to revive a doomed debate.

So yeah, this is strictly NPC focused and would rather not involve myself in that debate again in this particular space. I am, however, working on mechanisms to involve regional parties up to a degree, so further ideas are always welcome.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2020, 11:20:58 PM »

koopa jr. should be the governor of iowa cuz nepotism
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2020, 12:00:22 PM »

Maybe not THIS, but it would be cool for people to have outsized influence in their home state (or if there's multiple active Atlasians in the state, their home region). I, for one, think it'd be incredibly entertaning to run a Portland political machine.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2020, 04:17:51 AM »

No, ma'am.  That honor belongs to the great John Engle.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2020, 11:33:35 PM »

This sounds like fun. I'm looking forward to see how it all works.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2020, 11:52:29 PM »

Pleased to say I'm making process in planning the internal mechanics, and Lincoln seems to be advancing fast in passing the necessary bill to allow for these elections. Hoping the queue might allow Fremont to debate the issue soon as well, and that the South may eventually discuss this as well (wouldn't want to leave regions behind).
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2020, 07:12:49 AM »

Hopefully I can start a Pittsburgh Machine like the Philadelphia Machines.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2020, 08:46:52 PM »

Lincoln just passed the necessary bill, so it would only need to be signed, I think. Fremont is also making good progress on debating and amending the necessary legislation.

I wonder whether any Southern legislator could be persuaded to introduce a bill to allow for this mechanism? Really wouldn't want to leave a region behind for this experiment.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2020, 08:47:52 PM »

Lincoln just passed the necessary bill, so it would only need to be signed, I think. Fremont is also making good progress on debating and amending the necessary legislation.

I wonder whether any Southern legislator could be persuaded to introduce a bill to allow for this mechanism? Really wouldn't want to leave a region behind for this experiment.
What would you have in mind? I might introduce a bill in the citizen slot if so necessary.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2020, 08:52:14 PM »

What would you have in mind? I might introduce a bill in the citizen slot if so necessary.

What would be ideal is the region setting its own electoral system for state elections (governor and legislatures), which is what I need to get started without making an unnecessary assumption from my behalf.

Obviously other issues can be debated (Fremont had its own electoral system, both Fremont and Lincoln are debating term length and adding it as something formal, Lincoln set specific numbers for each state legislature, etc.) depending on what the region is interested on, but the electoral system (FPTP, STV, etc.) is the crucial thing.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2020, 09:07:16 PM »

fwiw I’m drawing up a slight redraft of the Lincoln bill, so will be another day or two before it gets finalized.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2020, 09:27:20 PM »

What would be ideal is the region setting its own electoral system for state elections (governor and legislatures), which is what I need to get started without making an unnecessary assumption from my behalf.

Obviously other issues can be debated (Fremont had its own electoral system, both Fremont and Lincoln are debating term length and adding it as something formal, Lincoln set specific numbers for each state legislature, etc.) depending on what the region is interested on, but the electoral system (FPTP, STV, etc.) is the crucial thing.
For state legislatures, is redistricting gonna be a thing? If so, I'd be happy to propose a fair redistricting bill in Fremont to complement the current legislation.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2020, 09:37:07 PM »

For state legislatures, is redistricting gonna be a thing? If so, I'd be happy to propose a fair redistricting bill in Fremont to complement the current legislation.

Possibly, but the mechanism can't go that far into detail yet. Lincoln did add a redistricting measure on its legislation, and for context, Fremont already has the Constituency Democratization Act (https://talkelections.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Constituency_Democratization_Act).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2020, 01:27:56 AM »

Really happy to say both Lincoln and Fremont are ready for this after going through the necessary legislation. Not sure what to do now, though.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2020, 02:54:29 AM »

Really happy to say both Lincoln and Fremont are ready for this after going through the necessary legislation. Not sure what to do now, though.

Venture into the unknown.

OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2020, 07:31:38 PM »

Will there be a way for NPC elections to proceed if the South fails to pass relevant legislation? I'd hate for this to be held up thanks to the incompetence lack of action by a certain legislature.

I mean we did it and we're the most inactive region. C'mon.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2020, 07:32:54 PM »

Will there be a way for NPC elections to proceed if the South fails to pass relevant legislation? I'd hate for this to be held up thanks to the incompetence lack of action by a certain legislature.

here just send me the fremont bill and I’ll change it to southern.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2020, 07:33:46 PM »

here just send me the fremont bill and I’ll change it to southern.
AN ACT
to bring state and local elections in line with parliamentary terms

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be, the "Local Electoral Calendar Act."

Section 2 (Electoral calendar for state and local elections)
i. Hereafter, all officers of the states (or territories) and municipalities of Frémont shall serve terms of six months commencing on the first Monday following their election.
ii. All regular state (or territorial) and municipal elections in Frémont shall be on the ultimate Saturday of the month in which they are given by the laws of those states (or territories) to proceed.
iii. The filing deadline for all state (or territorial) and municipal elections in Frémont shall be thirty days before the election.

Section 3 (Amendment to the Universal Suffrage Act)
i. §4(ii) of the Universal Suffrage Act is amended to read as follows:
No sooner than thirty days before the election, and no later than fifteen days before, the ministry of elections will send to every non-apparent citizen an envelope prominently labeled: "CONTAINS ELECTION MATERIALS."

This is the Truman bill on the issue. Hope that helps.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2020, 07:34:02 PM »

I wouldn't be a fan of leaving an entire region behind to be honest, though if people don't mind we can always proceed. The first elections could take place in the last week of June, so there's still some time left. I'd love to hear opinions on the matter though.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2020, 11:14:14 PM »

A look at state legislature numbers:
(Coming soon: systems selected by each Lincoln state government)

LINCOLN:
Notes: Bicameral state legislatures (House + Senate, New Jersey House is a "General Assembly"), states allowed to switch to a semi-parliamentary system like regional government. Some states have nesting requirements for districts. Equal population seats, allows majority minority districts, redistricting via commissions every two years (starting in 2021). Instant runoff for House and Senate, states allowed to choose between PR list / MMP / or STV multi-member districts.

House Seats   Senate Seats
Connecticut   151   63
Illinois   118   59
Indiana   100   50
Maine   154   35
Massachusetts   160   40
Michigan   110   38
New Hampshire   400   24
New Jersey   80   40
New York   63   150
Ohio   99   33
Pennsylvania   203   50
Rhode Island   75   38
Wisconsin   99   33
Vermont   150   30
Virgin Islands   25   15

FREMONT:
Notes: Bicameral legislatures (House of Commons and Senate), requirement for HoC seats to represent between 10,000 to 100,000 people, Senate seats to be half the HoC seats (states choose the actual number of HoC seats). Boundaries to be revised every 10th year. Closed party list STV with a 5% threshold. Fremont has the voting age at 16, and alll elections will be conducted via mail after July 2022.

House Seats   Senate Seats
Alaska   40   20
Arizona   120   60
California   500   250
Colorado   100   50
Hawaii   50   25
Idaho   50   25
Iowa   80   40
Montana   50   25
Nevada   80   40
New Mexico   60   30
North Dakota   50   25