China further Censors Coronavirus research
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:24:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  China further Censors Coronavirus research
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: China further Censors Coronavirus research  (Read 714 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2020, 07:17:16 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/12/asia/china-coronavirus-research-restrictions-intl-hnk/index.html

China is evil
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 07:21:38 PM »

So why did it take so many decades and the election of Donald Trump to discover this?

Donald Trump has been sounding the alarm on China for decades.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 07:22:55 PM »

cause it was the belief that China wouldn't grow fast enough to be a threat. Now even Biden is saying he will put sanctions on China and send troops to the South China sea if necessary
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 07:23:31 PM »

Not surprising.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 07:33:47 PM »

Makes perfect sense from their standpoint.
Covid-19 is truly a unique opportunity for China to make some new allies, and trying to make sure the World isn’t focused on where the outbreak started is crucial in doing so.
China has been playing smart since February, and its working for them.
First they throw literally everything at the virus in their country so that they can recover quicker than everywhere else, and then they send teams and advice to countries such as Italy, all while subtly pointing fingers at the US’s incompetence.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 08:05:17 PM »

If you have nothing to hide, then the truth is your friend.

If you have something to hide, then you try to avoid (restrict discovery) of the truth.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 08:12:37 PM »

If you have nothing to hide, then the truth is your friend.

If you have something to hide, then you try to avoid (restrict discovery) of the truth.

This is the only explanation needed.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 09:52:07 PM »

Covid-19 is truly a unique opportunity for China to make some new allies, and trying to make sure the World isn’t focused on where the outbreak started is crucial in doing so.
First they throw literally everything at the virus in their country so that they can recover quicker than everywhere else, and then they send teams and advice to countries such as Italy, all while subtly pointing fingers at the US’s incompetence.
did that hurt?  I hope you warmed up a little before stretching that hard.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 09:56:46 PM »

Damn, I previously thought you were just young and dumb/ignorant.  Now I'm convinced you're just a Chinese bot or paid troll.  Can you go back to lurking?  The forum was much better off before we had Chinese misinformation being spread on every thread.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 10:00:23 PM »

He's also said several times that posters are not allowed to defend China on this message board, yet he keeps doing it.  It's almost like he's a liar or something.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 10:16:58 PM »

More mistakes like this will end the CCP hold over China. I expect Chairman Xi to have an early retirement a few years after this fiasco, otherwise I expect things will look worse for him at an accelerating pace.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 10:21:34 PM »

Meanwhile the WHO is criticizing Taiwan for daring to say that the WHO wouldn't listen to them.

https://www.thenation.com/article/world/taiwan-who-coronavirus-china/
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 10:33:40 PM »

More mistakes like this will end the CCP hold over China. I expect Chairman Xi to have an early retirement a few years after this fiasco, otherwise I expect things will look worse for him at an accelerating pace.

I hope you are right, but I have doubts. In the short term, most national leaders are experiencing a big bounce in approval ratings, and although China has no polls I wouldn't be surprised if Xi is either. Sad to say, Trump's incompetent response to the virus will make Xi look good to his domestic audience. He will be able to say "even though the virus originated here, look what I did, look what actions I took to get it under control. Meanwhile look at how badly the US has handled it. This is further proof of my authoritarian system working."

This is why it was important for the United States to handle this well and so far we are not. Trump and the Republican Party are taking advantage of anti-China sentiment when in reality they are helping China with their incompetence, their nationalism (which alienates allies & validates the CCP's ideology), their racism, which feeds Chinese propaganda, and their contempt for democracy and human rights, which allows China to engage in disingenuous whataboutism.
Fargobison

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 10:59:01 PM »

China doing what China does best, cover up anything that makes them look bad.

China more or less decimated Italy with their ghoulish behavior. Not a country in the world has handled this thing worse, no country is even in the same stratosphere.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 11:24:30 PM »

The thing is, I don’t even like China...
I’m literally just explaining that we are in a PR battle with China, and we are losing.
Like it or not, but the US looks incompetent on the World stage and China benefits from that. If you want to dig your head into the sand and pretend China isn’t playing the World right now, go ahead.

Yes, China is sending teams to help Italy, that is a fact. Saying that doesn’t make me a Chinese troll.
They aren’t doing it out of kindness, they are doing it because it makes them look good.

The Chinese government is evil and smart. They know full well that they can recover from this as the rest of the World suffers while still looking good by giving out some token help.

If you want to pretend everyone shares your viewpoint, and call anyone who disagrees a troll, enjoy your deserved Beijing dominated future.
If you actually care about defeating China, first defeat the virus here, build bridges, and increase tariffs dramatically on China.

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2020, 11:25:43 PM »

did that hurt?  I hope you warmed up a little before stretching that hard.
I’m not saying it’s a good thing for humanity, I am saying it’s a good thing for China.
They aren’t censoring the information for no reason, it works out in their favor to shift the narrative.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 12:48:40 AM »

Oh come on forumlurker literally said from their standpoint,yall can lay off this time, his statement was merely just a commentary on the obvious.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 12:51:17 PM »

I don't see what forumlurker missaid?
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 03:59:33 PM »

Gonna be honest. If it's a PR war, in Europe at least, neither the US nor China are coming off golden at the moment.

China did their "sending aid" stuff - but then it turned out the they were sending crap that didn't work; then there were a bunch of stories about profiteering; and in recent days most media coverage in Europe at least has been focussed on the cover up of the early stages of the disease /alleged lying about the true number of deaths and so on.

The USA, well - the problem is Trump. People here see him as chronically dishonest, untrustworthy, erratic, unable to take responsibility for his own failures as well as attacking his own allies; endangering his own people through his own denialism and refusal to listen to others; favouring politial allies with precious and scarce resources and basically making the US look like a bit of a banana republic. Plus the stories like the "exclusive" access to a vaccine being developed in Germany or the dissapearing masks, no matter how true they actually were, have left people gasping with horror - and that people believe these stories shows you that Trump has made it perfectly possible for people to accept the idea of the US behaving like a rogue state.

Obviously, the USA can get rid of Trump, which means that they have a better chance of "winning" a PR war - but, well the risk is there that he is doing irreversible damage to the USA's reputation as a trustworthy and stable geopolitical force.

As for the reputation of the CCP in China. I have seen various reports that seem to suggest that people in Wuhan aren't necessarily thinking quite the same things as people in the rest of the country. Obviously Wuhan is marginal in relation. But... The CCP does keep doing things like this, and the culture that exists within the administration means that they almost certainly will keep on doing things like this. And that could mean a sort of death by a thousand cuts in the long term.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2020, 08:50:18 PM »

Gonna be honest. If it's a PR war, in Europe at least, neither the US nor China are coming off golden at the moment.

China did their "sending aid" stuff - but then it turned out the they were sending crap that didn't work; then there were a bunch of stories about profiteering; and in recent days most media coverage in Europe at least has been focussed on the cover up of the early stages of the disease /alleged lying about the true number of deaths and so on.

The USA, well - the problem is Trump. People here see him as chronically dishonest, untrustworthy, erratic, unable to take responsibility for his own failures as well as attacking his own allies; endangering his own people through his own denialism and refusal to listen to others; favouring politial allies with precious and scarce resources and basically making the US look like a bit of a banana republic. Plus the stories like the "exclusive" access to a vaccine being developed in Germany or the dissapearing masks, no matter how true they actually were, have left people gasping with horror - and that people believe these stories shows you that Trump has made it perfectly possible for people to accept the idea of the US behaving like a rogue state.

Obviously, the USA can get rid of Trump, which means that they have a better chance of "winning" a PR war - but, well the risk is there that he is doing irreversible damage to the USA's reputation as a trustworthy and stable geopolitical force.

As for the reputation of the CCP in China. I have seen various reports that seem to suggest that people in Wuhan aren't necessarily thinking quite the same things as people in the rest of the country. Obviously Wuhan is marginal in relation. But... The CCP does keep doing things like this, and the culture that exists within the administration means that they almost certainly will keep on doing things like this. And that could mean a sort of death by a thousand cuts in the long term.

TBH I feel like wuhan will be a problem city for the CCP for a long time because of this. Might be the beginning of the CCP losing the mandate of heaven?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2020, 10:22:44 PM »

insert CCP apologist "argument"
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 08:32:26 AM »

When it comes to criticism, it appears WHO has no problem acknowledging Taiwan. At all other times, they won't be recognized.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies