Keys to the White House: 1948 a different America (1960 election) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:43:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Keys to the White House: 1948 a different America (1960 election) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Keys to the White House: 1948 a different America (1960 election)  (Read 8244 times)
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« on: April 21, 2020, 08:46:06 AM »

I have never tried this before, but i will join because it seems like a cool idea!

Name : Anton Jepsen
Party : Democratic/Progressive, Formerly Farmer-Labor
Occupational History: Instructor of Political Science at the University of Minnesota 1939-1942, Soldier 1942-1946.

Bio : Anton was born into a family of Danish-American farmers in rural Minnesota, with him being the youngest son of WW I and Polar Bear Expedition Veteran. He grew up at a family farm that was struggling by the time he was ready for elementary school, due to the depression that affected farmers ever since the end of WW I. But this only made Anton more determined to help at home in any way he could alongside doing his elementary school studies.  This hard-working and diligent nature would stay alongside Anton for the rest of his life, with him continuing into high school while still helping in any way he could at the family farm.

He would grow up in an political household, as the farmers depression would color the family's political views. His father returned home in 1919 to happy reunion with the family, and the optimism in the family was never higher than when Anton's mother gave birth to a little sister named Marie. But the happiness was not to last, as an economic depression hit farmers all over the country due to a lack of demand for agricultural products after The Great War and the cancelling of guarantees in 1920. This made both his mother, but especially his father join and get involved with the burgeoning Farmer-Labor Party, as well joining the National Farmer's Union branch in Minnesota. The naturally colored Anton's views as well, with him becoming a staunch Farmer-Laborite alongside his father and mother.

As soon as Anton graduated from high school in 1934 he went to study at the University of Minnesota, the first in the family to study at a university. During his time there he got involved with the university's debate club, where he rapidly developed his debating skills and became a star of the university's debate team in no time. He frequently clashed with opponents of FDR and the Farmer-Labor Party, and was often decried by the same people as a radical due to his Farmer-Labor Party membership. This was also where he met his future wife Christina, as they dated throughout the university years. Finally he graduated with high marks and honors in 1938 and married Christina the year after they both graduated.

In 1939 Anton and Christina moved to Minneapolis. Anton worked as an instructor of Political Science at the University of Minnesota, while his wife Christina worked as a high school teacher.
This state of affairs remained until late 1941 when Pearl Harbor was bombed and America joined the Allies. History repeated itself as Anton was chosen for the draft in 1942, just as his father was in 1917. With his non-interventionism shaken by Pearl Harbor, he didn't object to the draft and joined the army in what he perceived as a fight for freedom. He was among the first who landed in Africa during Operation Torch, and fought trough tough conditions in both the African and Italian Campaigns. Finally he returned to his wife in 1946 a changed man from experience in war,  and his wife gave birth to their first child in 1947 which they gave the name Eva. He plans to return to his instructor job in 1949.

Domestically Anton is a full-out progressive due to his legacy as a member of the Farmer-Labor Party, and on foreign policy he views himself as a careful internationalist who supports the advancement of human rights.  Anton is avowedly anti-racist, and is a strong supporter of civil rights due to the stories his father told him when he was growing up. Anton is currently supporting Henry Wallace's campaign for President.

Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 07:35:03 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2020, 07:38:39 PM by Representative Elcaspar »

For the Republicans my vote falls on Harold Stassen. And for the Democrats it's Truman that gets my vote.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 05:12:29 PM »

Wowzers, that was a crushing blow for the GOP. What was the NPV totals for both tickets and how long until the next turn is posted, so we can be ready for it?

Edit : Also, anyone want to take any guesses as to who will be the GOP candidates for '56? my money is on Dewey, Nixon, or Knight, but any other ideas?

Maybe add Knowland or Dirksen into there as potential options. I feel like the GOP conservatives might have a shot at the nomination in 1956.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 08:35:26 PM »

When will we be getting more points for our actions? Curious since we haven't gotten them since the 1952 VP selection for the Democrats.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 08:42:31 PM »

When will we be getting more points for our actions? Curious since we haven't gotten them since the 1952 VP selection for the Democrats.

You've been getting points I just haven't been announcing them I'll make sure to do that for the midterm tommorow

Thank you. Much appreciated.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 08:55:36 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2020, 09:01:57 PM by Representative Elcaspar »

Unless otherwise specified i believe that the period for updates is usually 3 days. Correct me if i am wrong though.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 09:02:58 PM »

Also it would be nice if we could get our points sometime before the Conventions end, as that's where the cutoff for spending points is, if i remember correctly.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 02:43:57 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2020, 02:47:09 PM by Representative Elcaspar »

I don't know if anybody feels this way, but i am so tense with all of this Convention stuff going on right now. Especially since there's still two days until the update.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 04:00:41 PM »

I don't know if anybody feels this way, but i am so tense with all of this Convention stuff going on right now. Especially since there's still two days until the update.

Conventions until the 70s were always a tense affair, one step away from another 1924 DNC, so it's obvious it'd be tense, but I think that's what makes it fun

Also, it gives us things to do as we wait for the next turn.

Oh yeah i definitely agree with both of those things. I still have a post that i am writing at the moment.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 05:04:19 PM »

I mean i don't think it's dead, but there might be need for an explanation for this delay.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 04:33:24 PM »

Apologies but I'll have to drop out for now. Life is getting towards me and I have an idea to either host an election game or a history game and I can't be playing two games while hosting another without making me rip my own hair out from the stress. I do have two ideas for an Antiquity Historical Game (Two, in fact, though one is more Character Driven than the other, arguably) and I'll post the thread and poll for that in a few minutes. I hope everyone will understand this.

That's understandable. You will be missed as you were a great player throughout.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 06:24:39 AM »

It has been updated now.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2020, 08:02:01 PM »

Probably. They still have till the 26th to post so i don't think there is a need to worry.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2021, 07:55:37 PM »

I definitely hope that many of our former players would like to see this revived! Any new players wouldn't hurt either.

Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2021, 06:46:15 PM »

As it has been nearly a year since this game had an unfortunate end, I’ve contacted many of the former players and we’ve discussed if they would like to rejuvenate the game. I’ve decided to revive the game, and I’ll allow for new signups from the current time until the end of the game.

Any idea on how long before we start up again?
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 07:36:02 PM »

Can't wait to continue Marcus Jackson's career for the game!

Likewise for Anton Jepsen! And hopefully we will see you as the Vice Presidential nominee once the balloting is over Wink
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2021, 07:25:11 PM »

I’ll start the write up tonight should be up tomorrow

Nice. Looking forward to it!
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2021, 05:18:52 PM »

I’ll start the write up tonight should be up tomorrow
So any ETA on the update?
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2021, 06:16:20 PM »

Sorry about not getting it up last night I wasnt able to format it mentally but I’m feeling good about it now expect it by 10 EST

It's all good, i am just glad that you are feeling better now.

Glad you're feeling better, dude. Can't wait to see the result, Even though every Dem has p much agreed at this point that we'll lose.

Yeah it's definitely more like than not that we will lose. Excluding some RNG potentially changing things.

Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2021, 05:35:14 PM »

My computer died a few hours before the Presidential election update, so I had to write it on my iPad, that’s not the full update it’s just what I was able to get out, I’m going to edit it and make it readable this week.

Any news on this?
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2021, 05:45:54 AM »

Quick question, how many points does everyone have?

I second this question.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2021, 04:17:29 PM »

I would like to apologize to everyone for my absence for the last month or so. It seems that life always has a way of keeping you busy, and i didn't really have time for the forum in general. If people still wanna do it, i can work quickly to get a post up, but i also understand if it has lost it's luster.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies