Keys to the White House: 1948 a different America (1960 election) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:15:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Keys to the White House: 1948 a different America (1960 election) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Keys to the White House: 1948 a different America (1960 election)  (Read 8233 times)
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« on: April 21, 2020, 11:36:41 AM »

Name : Marcus A. Jackson II
Party : Democrat
Occupational History : Businessman (1938-1942; 1946-Present); Soldier (1942-1946)

Bio : Marcus A. Jackson II was born the youngest of a family of 7 in Gainesville, Florida following the aftermath of the Great War. His father, Great War, Spanish American War, and Phillipine Insurrection veteran Phillip Jackson and his grandfather, Mexican-American and Civil War veteran Marcus A. Jackson I, were seen as local heroes for years on end due to their service in the Military. Shortly before his grandfather's death in 1922, the Jackson family began a local small business that quickly expanded outwards into Northern Florida and some parts of Southern Alabama and Georgia, though it is mainly known from within Northern Florida.

Being from a solidly Democratic Family, Marcus consistently found himself agreeing with the ideas of men like Grover Cleveland and Champ Clark instead of Woodrow Wilson, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, or Harry Truman. His family itself would vote Republican four straight times in a row from 1920-1932 on the Presidential Level before voting for FDR in and 1940. As a old styled bourbon Democrat, much like his father and grandfather, Jackson found himself being a supporter of FDR in most instances due to circumstance and even wrote a few pamphlets during his time in University of Florida from 1936-1938. He was, however, at most, deeply conservative and does still personally believe there are some flaws in the New Deal that need to be fixed before more things are added in.

In 1938, he and his father continued to run their business, giving aid to families in need of it and even giving out some profits to some of the poorest families in the South, which helped raise their name recognition and even saw President Roosevelt write a letter to them personally giving thanks and inviting them to the White House. While Marcus eagerly took up the offer, his father declined to continue to work in the business. While in Washington meeting with the President, the then young 20 year old man became friends with Roosevelt despite ideological differences with both being concerned about the rise of fascism/communism across the world and the increasing favor of isolationism in the United States itself. At the same time, Marcus was able to take notes and find out how to act, look, and sound like a politician.

As war broke out in Europe, the young Marcus spoke up about the need to intervene on the side of the Allies in the War, stating that fascism was a great evil that needed to be stamped out quickly and effectively. Despite being unpopular, he continued to preach this sentiment, even writing essays in the local newspaper, controlled by his father, stating his case. When the Japanese Empire bombed Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941, Marcus was the first among many across the country to sign up for service in order to combat the Axis. Seeing combat in North Africa, Italy, France, Germany, and the Pacific, Marcus quickly rose to the rank of Second Lieutenant by Early 1945. His most intense moments were the Battles of Guadalcanal, where he was shot twice in the right leg but continued to assault the Japanese position despite that, Normandy, where he was shot clean through the left hand palm, and Remagen, where he was hit in the groin by a sniper round but barely made it out alive. Following the end of the war in 1945, he would continue to stay in the service until May of 1946 when he retired and returned to his home in Gainesville. Upon returning, he was given a hero's welcome and a two day celebration was held, during which, he would meet Miss Elizabeth Anne, which he marry in the summer of 1947 after courting her for the prior year.

While all this was going on, Marcus found himself in severe disagreement with the ideas of Roosevelt's successor, Harry Truman. The failure of the President to intervene in the Chinese Civil War deeply displeased the Floridian as he sees the potential loss of China to Communism as the biggest failure in history. While he still remains a Democrats and has shown himself to not be a fan of Strom Thurmond and his ideas, its clear that the young Jackson and the President differ on various issues and so he has requested that the President not campaign for his race. On November 18th, 1947, Marcus, with the support of his 68 year old father that still ran the family business, his wife Elizabeth, and his older brother and Florida State Senator Louis Jackson, announced his plans to run for Florida's 3rd Congressional District in the United States Representatives. While remaining neutral on the Presidential Election, he has made it clear that if he had no choice, he'd vote Truman.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 07:36:04 PM »

For the Democrats, I vote Truman reluctantly but for the Republicans, I vote MacArthur!
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 12:53:58 PM »

Apologies for asking if this seems rude or something like that, but is this dead or are you still working on it? If the latter, do you think you need some help with the Warren administration?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 01:46:32 PM »

Apologies for asking if this seems rude or something like that, but is this dead or are you still working on it? If the latter, do you think you need some help with the Warren administration?

It's not dead I promise, but I have been sick with thankfully a non-COVID related illness and it was my birthday this past weekend. Not to mention I have finals coming up, but I would like some help doing the basic write up if anyone is interested, probably just for this turn.

I'd be interested in helping. Just contact me on Discord and tell me what to do Smiley
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 10:21:53 PM »

So is the 1952 Election itself tonight or for tomorrow, for curiosity's sake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 10:26:41 PM »

So is the 1952 Election itself tonight or for tomorrow, for curiosity's sake

The turn ends at 12:00:00 PM EST tomorrow and the turn will be posted tomorrow afternoon/night 

Alright, thanks for clearing that up.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 03:05:11 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2020, 04:13:47 PM by Congrats Senator Manny Sethi »

Wowzers, that was a crushing blow for the GOP. What was the NPV totals for both tickets and how long until the next turn is posted, so we can be ready for it?

Edit : Also, anyone want to take any guesses as to who will be the GOP candidates for '56? my money is on Dewey, Nixon, or Knight, but any other ideas?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 06:51:02 PM »

will the next turn be posted later tonight or tomorrow?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 06:54:32 PM »

Alright, thanks, can't wait Smiley
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 07:51:41 PM »

Would it be alright if we post our decisions to the character decisions today?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 07:58:35 PM »

Would it be alright if we post our decisions to the character decisions today?

Yea, for those who post their decisions today they'll get new prompts tommorow if someone doesn't have time they'll stick with the same prompts.

Alright, I'll be trying to get mine solved today and then go on to the next ones hopefully.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 11:19:46 PM »

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/wi-georgi-malenkov-stays-in-charge-of-the-ussr.371334/

Here's a thread I found on Alt History .com that might help with the ideas of Malenkov some and continue to craft the History of this game Smiley
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 02:49:01 PM »

When will the 1960 update be posted?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 12:54:32 PM »

Thanks for the clarification
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 07:11:37 PM »

Shall we expect the update later tonight or tomorrow afternoon?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2020, 08:05:20 PM »

I recommend you take a screenshot, have it be a message on Discord, and send it to JacksonHitchcock through that.

Also, using the Sandbox and giving him the link works too.

So, can we expect the next turn on the 15th/16th?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2020, 10:26:32 PM »

I like how Kennedy has shot himself in the foot and now everyone is just dogpiling on him
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2020, 03:03:35 PM »

I don't know if anybody feels this way, but i am so tense with all of this Convention stuff going on right now. Especially since there's still two days until the update.

Conventions until the 70s were always a tense affair, one step away from another 1924 DNC, so it's obvious it'd be tense, but I think that's what makes it fun

Also, it gives us things to do as we wait for the next turn.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2020, 05:11:41 PM »

Can i ask when the next tuen is going up?

I think we can expect it around Midnight EST
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2020, 05:30:23 PM »

I mean i don't think it's dead, but there might be need for an explanation for this delay.

Sorry, I meant to finish it last night, but I had a pretty bad headache.

That's understandable. Migranes/headaches are seriously the worst thing to deal with while typing.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2020, 04:28:15 PM »

Apologies but I'll have to drop out for now. Life is getting towards me and I have an idea to either host an election game or a history game and I can't be playing two games while hosting another without making me rip my own hair out from the stress. I do have two ideas for an Antiquity Historical Game (Two, in fact, though one is more Character Driven than the other, arguably) and I'll post the thread and poll for that in a few minutes. I hope everyone will understand this.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2020, 12:42:06 PM »

I've decided to join back in until at least the 1960 election is over and done with, to keep everything consistent with the story and such. If my 2012 game doesn't pick up any momentum and gains more players in the next two days, I'll fully rejoin this game in earnest. Hopefully I'm making sense when saying this.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2020, 01:31:07 PM »

We'll just have to Wait and See. WHen can we expect the next update?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2020, 12:26:59 PM »

New turn will be out tonight 12-4 est likely
alrighty. Thanks for clarifying.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2020, 04:04:55 PM »