Kim Jong Un reportedly in “Grave Danger” after surgery.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:29:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Kim Jong Un reportedly in “Grave Danger” after surgery.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Kim Jong Un reportedly in “Grave Danger” after surgery.  (Read 6905 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2020, 08:21:54 AM »
« edited: April 21, 2020, 08:26:41 AM by Southern Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

Kim Yo-jong, his sister, is the closest thing to an heir he has. Not good news for North Korea if true.

From a Guardian article published just yesterday:

As the world grapples with the coronavirus pandemic – with Pyongyang continuing to insist it has not recorded a single case – Kim Yo-jong’s ascendancy continues.

Last month, she made her first public statement, condemning the South as a “frightened dog barking” after Seoul protested against a live-fire military exercise by the North. And in March, she publicly praised Donald Trump for sending Kim a letter in which he said he hoped to maintain good bilateral relations and offered help in dealing with the coronavirus pandemic.

The publication of political statements in Kim Yo-jong’s name underlines her central role in the regime, according to Youngshik Bong, a research fellow at Yonsei University’s Institute for North Korean Studies in Seoul. “It is revealing that Kim Jong-un permitted her to write and announce a scathing statement about South Korea in such a personal tone,” Bong said. “He is clearly ready to allow his sister to become his alter ego.”

A ruthless dictator woman would be an interesting change of pace. Also, she's younger than I am, and I haven't managed to oppress anyone yet Sad

Indira Gandhi (or her ghost, anyway) says hi Wink
I don't think Indira qualifies as a dictator, outside of the 2 year period of Emergency (which she willingly ended and put herself at the mercy of the electorate's wimbs afterwards). But she certainly came closer to qualifying for the label of 'ruthless dictator woman' than most other politicians over the past 50 years.
Ironically among the top candidates might be Sheikh Hasina in neighboring Bangladesh.

Well yeah, its that which I was thinking of rather. And its fair to say she was forced into that election rather than happily agreeing to it out of the goodness of her heart Wink
I would argue that Sheikh Hasina in general has behaved more dictator-like over the course of her political career taken together, than Indira. And for that matter a good argument might exist for Khaleda Zia as well.
(I'm open to being convinced otherwise)
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2020, 08:53:09 AM »

Supposedly given that the recent shake up in the leadership cabinet pushed out who we believe to be the second in command(s).

Would they let a woman be Supreme Leader?

First Female Dictator Hailed As Step Forward For Women (The Onion, YouTube)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2020, 10:18:53 AM »

Newspapers had big bold headlines announcing Kim Il Sung's death 8 years before he actually dropped dead.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2020, 10:25:10 AM »

Newspapers had big bold headlines announcing Kim Il Sung's death 8 years before he actually dropped dead.
I guess you could say reports of Kim Il Sung's death were greatly exagerated.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2020, 11:07:13 AM »

In 1986 presumably, wasn't that some sort of (still murky) coup attempt?
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2020, 11:19:43 AM »

Check your sources, TG.

Great Leader and Eternal President Kim-Il-Sung will never die.  He will live on in perpetuity and lead the revolution to smite the imperialist American aggressors. 
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2020, 12:45:19 PM »

Check your sources, TG.

Great Leader and Eternal President Kim-Il-Sung will never die.  He will live on in perpetuity and lead the revolution to smite the imperialist American aggressors. 

Finally, another patriot in this thread who hasn't succumbed to the lies and evil of the American imperialists and the counter-revolutionaries. Chairman Kim is in perfect health, and the Eternal President Kim-Il-Sung watches over us, as he was born on Korea's tallest peak from there you can see the entirety of his empire in Korea. Long may the Eternal President reign comrade.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2020, 02:17:15 PM »

Isabel Perón was the first female dictator, FYI.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2020, 02:18:44 PM »

Isabel Perón was the first female dictator, FYI.

Don't think she qualifies.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2020, 02:56:59 PM »

Anyone got some theories? I feel like this might be some sympathy ploy and make the dear leader look heroic when he "recovers".
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2020, 03:23:59 PM »

Remember when we all thought KJU was dead?
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2020, 03:26:15 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2020, 03:29:56 PM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

Check your sources, TG.

Great Leader and Eternal President Kim-Il-Sung will never die.  He will live on in perpetuity and lead the revolution to smite the imperialist American aggressors.  

Finally, another patriot in this thread who hasn't succumbed to the lies and evil of the American imperialists and the counter-revolutionaries. Chairman Kim is in perfect health, and the Eternal President Kim-Il-Sung watches over us, as he was born on Korea's tallest peak from there you can see the entirety of his empire in Korea. Long may the Eternal President reign comrade.

Smiley

Actually (yes, I'm actually-ing my own joke), the propaganda around KIS was that he was born into a poor family in a small village.  He left this village as a young man to avenge the atrocities committed against his family by the occupying Japanese.  This is probably the part of the story that's the most realistic and backed up by some level of historical evidence and, to his credit, he played a big part in fighting the Japanese until their surrender to the Allies in 1945. 

You're thinking of KJI's origin story with regards to the mountain (DPRK claims he was born on sacred Mount Paektu; records indicate he was born in the Soviet Union).

Legend has it that when KJI was born, a new star took its place in the sky and all of the snow melted before blooming into flowers.  When he died, a massive earthquake cracked the ice on the mountain's lake.  

Not sure why I paid so much attention in the class I took during my undergrad on the DPRK, but it was SUPER interesting.  
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2020, 04:35:50 PM »

Kim Jong-il was quite an OC-esque character, not needing to go to the bathroom, getting by on one bowl of ride during the Arduous March, being a worldwife fashion icon and a film expert extraordinaire, just to name these few examples. However, he was also a bit of an authoritarian launching NUT rockets and never lived under the surface of Lake Michigan.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2020, 04:45:46 PM »

Kim Jong-il was quite an OC-esque character, not needing to go to the bathroom, getting by on one bowl of ride during the Arduous March, being a worldwife fashion icon and a film expert extraordinaire, just to name these few examples. However, he was also a bit of an authoritarian launching NUT rockets and never lived under the surface of Lake Michigan.
More importantly he was an awful narcissist that is the main reason for why North Korea is like it is.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2020, 04:57:21 PM »

If he passes-away, trump will be the only leader of the free-world, to go to his funeral.
Wait ... you'll see.

Yes, Trump will be delivering a eulogy.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2020, 05:47:14 PM »

Check your sources, TG.

Great Leader and Eternal President Kim-Il-Sung will never die.  He will live on in perpetuity and lead the revolution to smite the imperialist American aggressors.  

Smiley

Actually (yes, I'm actually-ing my own joke), the propaganda around KIS was that he was born into a poor family in a small village.  He left this village as a young man to avenge the atrocities committed against his family by the occupying Japanese.  This is probably the part of the story that's the most realistic and backed up by some level of historical evidence and, to his credit, he played a big part in fighting the Japanese until their surrender to the Allies in 1945. 

You're thinking of KJI's origin story with regards to the mountain (DPRK claims he was born on sacred Mount Paektu; records indicate he was born in the Soviet Union).

Legend has it that when KJI was born, a new star took its place in the sky and all of the snow melted before blooming into flowers.  When he died, a massive earthquake cracked the ice on the mountain's lake.  

Not sure why I paid so much attention in the class I took during my undergrad on the DPRK, but it was SUPER interesting.  

Someone else into DPRK stuff? Yes!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2020, 06:54:38 PM »

Whoever the surgeon was that operated on him here really ought to be coming up with a plan to leave the country if they knew what was good for them.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2020, 07:55:02 PM »

His son is ~10, so let his sister serve as regent for a decade or so, and then his son formally takes over?

Alternatively, does China take this opportunity to get rid of the Kims and Juche and install a Chinese-style Communist government that becomes a lockstep puppet?

I, for one, welcome this opportunity to let us re-live the Romance of the Three Kingdoms in real time. Just send in some obese warlord from the countryside and let him "advise" Lil' Supremo Bambino.

The Orange Clown would kill to have the ability to be anointed King and have Trump Jr take over when he dies.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2020, 11:06:17 PM »

Whoever the surgeon was that operated on him here really ought to be coming up with a plan to leave the country if they knew what was good for them.

SK will take any NK citizen in as a refugee and give them citizenship, seems like a good plan to me.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2020, 11:12:19 PM »

SK will take any NK citizen in as a refugee and give them citizenship, seems like a good plan to me.
The problem is that they give these refugees very little support materially or socially to integrate into wider society, forcing most of them into poverty. Sad but true.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2020, 11:52:03 PM »

Sirimavo Bandaranaike in Ceylon/Sri Lanka did some pretty authoritarian things but she left office after being defeated in an election twice and never even temporarily took unilateral authority as a dictator like Indira Gandhi did, so probably not a citable citable example. Although if she had not been defeated and remained in power in 1965 ending up a de facto dictator seems pretty plausible.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2020, 05:35:03 AM »

Check your sources, TG.

Smiley

Cool! There's three of us now.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2020, 05:55:25 AM »

Check your sources, TG.

Smiley

Cool! There's three of us now.
Can I join too? I find NK fairly interesting and I want to diversify my Asian interest further.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2020, 05:58:58 AM »

This is 100% off-topic, but weren't you a medical student? Why were you taking classes on the DPRK in college?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2020, 09:20:39 AM »

Anyway, anything more about these rumours emerged yet?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies