Should the senate be changed?

<< < (2/16) > >>

Storr:
I feel like the basic Senate set up should be kept as it is, but bigger states given a third Senate seat to give the body at least a little bit of proportional representation. What the rules for how states get an extra seat, I'm not sure. Give it to the top 5, 10, in population? Give it to states with X (10, 15, 20, 25?) or greater Congressional seats? I feel like giving it to X or greater population (10 million, 20 million) would be less effective since, as the Country's population grows, more and more states will reach that threshold and defeat the purpose of the change.

ProgressiveModerate:
What if there was just some admendment put into place that a state must be split up into 2 equal parts if it exceeds 2.5% of the total US population. Also, if 2 states are next to eachother and their total populations combined add up to less than 2% of the poplation, they must be merged. This would make the senate do what it was intended to do, but ensure that people who live in cities don't have their voice dilluted, and it would also solve the issue in some of these big states like NY where upstate and downstate have very different needs

America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS:
Yes, preferably it should be abolished.

ProgressiveModerate:
Quote from: #Solid4096 on April 21, 2020, 12:33:15 PM

Yes, preferably it should be abolished.

What would replace it though? I like how in the senate the seats are up every 6 years, making it harder to flip and immune to waves to some degree. I think the best solution is to keep it but redraw the states to be more porportional in population sizes, basically smaller states merge togethr (The Dakotas and the farm belt, WY+ID+MT, and larger states would be split, and to ensure there's no "state gerrymandering", the 2 new states would need to have 2 more or less equal populations, counties must be preserved, and a supermajority in the state legistlature as well as in the senate would have to agree to it. If no agreement can be reached in x amount of time the court draws the new districts.

ProgressiveModerate:
Quote from: Southern Speaker Punxsutawney Phil on April 20, 2020, 06:45:57 PM

we have equal representation of the people in one chamber and equal representation of the states in another. Nothing wrong with that at all.
If your party is incapable of winning a Senate majority, boo hoo. You aren't winning enough rural voters. Try to do that instead.

Why should rural voters get such outweighed representation though. It isn't fair that Democrats have to try to outreach to a few rural communities when Republicans don't even have to try to win cities like NYC or Los Angeles. It just seems like this supresses the ideals of people in major urban centers by ensuring taht their agenda is aproved by a few stubborn rural voters, wheras rural states alone can get a majoirty and inflict there agenda upon everyone else, even if they're the minority population wise. Your argument makes zero sense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page