FT 15.14 - Frémont Higher Education Reform Act (DEBATING)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:58:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 15.14 - Frémont Higher Education Reform Act (DEBATING)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 15.14 - Frémont Higher Education Reform Act (DEBATING)  (Read 571 times)
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 19, 2020, 09:05:20 PM »

Frémont Higher Education Reform Act
an act to reform higher education in Frémont

Section I (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be the “Frémont Higher Education Reform Act”. This bill may be referred to as “HERA” or the “college reform bill”.

Section II (Definitions)
i. a “public university” is defined as an institution funded by public revenue responsible for post-secondary education.
ii. “FSAT” is defined as an abbreviation for “Frémont Standardized Admissions Test”.
iii. “SAT-E”, or “SAT-Equivalent”, is defined as the rough SAT score that reflects the student’s FSAT test score. When the Frémont Department of Education finishes developing the FSAT scoring system, this terminology will be phased out.
iv. a “Frémont student” is defined as an of-age student residing within the boundaries of Frémont, as defined in the Preamble of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Frémont.
v. “academic tuition” is defined as tuition paid for instruction.
vi. “room-and-board tuition” is defined as tuition paid for food and lodging services.
vii. “local community college” is defined as the community college closest to a prospective attendee’s place of residence, or as all community colleges within 25 miles of a prospective attendee’s place of residence.

Section III (Standardized Admissions Testing in Frémont)
i. The Frémont Department of Education, in conjunction with local, state, regional, and national authorities on education, shall craft the FSAT, a scored test of knowledge to replace the ACT and SAT as an indicator of the academic abilities of a prospective college attendee.
ii. This test must contain both multiple-choice and written sections, to more holistically reflect the critical-thinking abilities of the testee. Additionally, the Frémont Department of Education will create a fair and rigorous system for grading these examinations, with a minimum of five educational professionals assessing the quality of each written section.
iii. Frémont students in high school will not be allowed to sit for the FSAT more than once in a six-month period. Frémont students in community college will not be allowed to sit for the FSAT more than once in a three-month period.
iv. All public secondary schools within the Commonwealth of Frémont will be required to offer the FSAT once it is avaliable at least twice an academic year. Additionally, schools and organizations outside of the Commonwealth of Frémont will be allowed to administer the FSAT on an application basis.

Section IV (Frémont Higher Education Authority)
i. All public universities in the Commonwealth of Frémont will be folded into the Frémont Higher Education Authority System.
ii. The FHEA shall be divided into the following districts:
a. The California District, consisting of the state of California.
b. The Northwest-Pacific District, consisting of the states of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands, and all outlying territories under the jurisdiction of Frémont.
c. The Southwestern District, consisting of the states of Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico.
d. The Plains District, consisting of the states of North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, and Kansas.
iii. Each FHEA district will be responsible for:
a. distributing regional funding to schools in their jurisdiction,
b. redistributing faculty and reallocating dorm space to address capacity issues,
c. granting admission to eligible Frémont students,
d. purchasing or renting facilities previously owned by closed private universities, or purchasing new land to build educational facilities, as needed to address capacity issues,
e. establishing a new tenure system, with the consent of major teachers’s unions,
f. working in conjunction with local public transportation authorities to establish extensive commuter options for colleges in their jurisdiction, and
g. adjusting admissions requirements to address capacity issues.
iv. Due to outstanding political concerns, the public universities of the state of Kansas will not be integrated into the FHEA at this time.

Section V (Curriculum)
i. The FHEA will work to standardize curriculum quality across all public universities. It will do so by working with university faculty and regional education officials to:
a. align course offerings,
b. align course objectives and topics, and
c. ensure that all courses are taught at a universal high standard of quality
ii. The FHEA will aim to achieve maximum curriculum standardization by January 2025.
iii. All FHEA universities, if not already doing so, will be encouraged to offer a general “Honors Track”, a series of accelerated and/or advanced courses for general education or a specific area of study.
iv. The FHEA will establish “flagship schools”, or state universities academically renowned on the national level that would be overloaded with admissions requests due to their existing prestige, with higher admissions standards. The following schools will be considered for flagship status:
a. University of California at Berkeley
b. University of California at Los Angeles
c. University of California at Santa Barbara
d. University of California at Irvine
e. University of California at Davis
f. University of Washington
g. University of Minnesota at Twin Cities
h. Colorado School of Mines
v. After academic alignment and standardization is seen by the FHEA as complete, the need for flagship schools will be re-evaluated.

Section VI (Admissions)
i. Any Frémont student that scores over 1200 SAT-E will be offered admission to all non-flagship FHEA colleges.
ii. Any Frémont student that scores over 1300 SAT-E will be offered admission to the honors program of the FHEA college they choose to attend.
iii. Admissions requirements for “flagship schools” will be set by officials from the school in concern and district FHEA officials, based on school capacity and demand. However, these requirements may not exceed 1400 SAT-E.
iv. Requirements for individual schools may be subjected to change based on school capacity and demand. However, all such changes must be carefully vetted by the FHEA, and requirements may not exceed those enumerated in this bill by 50 SAT-E points.
v. Any Frémont student not meeting these requirements will be admitted to their local community college. If they can maintain a GPA above 3.25, they will be able to transfer to a FHEA college of their choice after two years, provided that they retake the FSAT and score above the admissions threshold for their desired college. .

Section VII (Reinstatement of Tuition)
i. Students whose parents or legal guardians have a combined yearly income of below $70,000 will not be charged academic tuition.
ii. For students whose parents or legal guardians have a combined yearly income of between $70,000 and $270,000 will be charged five cents of yearly academic tuition per dollar of yearly income over $70,000.
iii. For students whose parents or legal guardians have a combined yearly income of over $270,000, $10,000 in yearly academic tuition will be charged.
iv. Students commuting to the FHEA school geographically closest to them will be granted a yearly waiver for public transportation costs.
v. Students attending a school in-state, but not commuting, will be charged $2,000 in yearly room-and-board tuition.
vi. Students attending a school out-of-state whose parents or legal guardians have a combined yearly income of below $70,000 will be charged $3,000 in yearly room-and-board tuition.
vii.  Students attending a school out-of-state whose parents or legal guardians have a combined yearly income of between $70,000 and $270,000 will be charged three and a half cents of yearly room-and-board tuition per dollar of yearly income over $70,000.
viii. Students attending a school out-of-state whose parents or legal guardians have a combined yearly income of over $270,000 will be charged $10,000 in yearly room-and-board tuition.

Sponsor: Oregon Blue Dog, MFP (Meadowlark—Labor, Oregon)

The member from Oregon now has the floor.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 02:54:30 PM »

As promised, here is a draft of the bill that will reform college education in Frémont. As the primary drafter of this bill, this draft DOES include some potentially superflouous elements that I favor - for instance, the inclusion of flagship schools with higher admissions rates until curriculums are equalized - and given the scope of this bill, I urge comment from both civillians and my colleagues in Denver.

Thank you, and I yield the floor.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 05:52:31 PM »

I have spoken publicly already on this matter following the initial conversations between myself and the honorable members from Oregon and Washington, but now that it is more than a mere idea, I would like to reiterate what a privilege it is to have the opportunity to work with such fine citizens and public servants. This article is a testament to what can be achieved when dedicated people arguing in good faith come together to legislate for the general good; well may we rejoice that left, right, and centre have such able representatives as I see before me today.

I likewise extend my thanks to the member from Oregon for taking on the task of actually writing this bill. This was a difficult needle to thread for a variety of reasons, and while some may wish to see changes made before it is implemented, I for one am proud to lend it my voice and my vote today.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 12:04:44 PM »

Section I (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be the “Frémont Higher Education Reform Act”. This bill may be referred to as “HERA” or the “college reform bill”.

Section II (Definitions)
i. a “public university” is defined as an institution funded by public revenue responsible for post-secondary education.
ii. “FSAT” is defined as an abbreviation for “Frémont Standardized Admissions Test”.
iii. “SAT-E”, or “SAT-Equivalent”, is defined as the rough SAT score that reflects the student’s FSAT test score. When the Frémont Department of Education finishes developing the FSAT scoring system, this terminology will be phased out.
iv. a “Frémont student” is defined as an of-age student residing within the boundaries of Frémont, as defined in the Preamble of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Frémont.
vi. “room-and-board tuition” is defined as tuition paid for food and lodging services.
vii. “local community college” is defined as the community college closest to a prospective attendee’s place of residence, or as all community colleges within 25 miles of a prospective attendee’s place of residence.

i. The Frémont Department of Education, in conjunction with local, state, regional, and national authorities on education, shall craft the FSAT, a scored test of knowledge to replace the ACT and SAT as an indicator of the academic abilities of a prospective college attendee.
ii. This test must contain both multiple-choice and written sections, to more holistically reflect the critical-thinking abilities of the testee. Additionally, the Frémont Department of Education will create a fair and rigorous system for grading these examinations, with a minimum of five educational professionals assessing the quality of each written section.
iii. Frémont students in high school will not be allowed to sit for the FSAT more than once in a six-month period. Frémont students in community college will not be allowed to sit for the FSAT more than once in a three-month period.
iv. All public secondary schools within the Commonwealth of Frémont will be required to offer the FSAT once it is avaliable at least twice an academic year. Additionally, schools and organizations outside of the Commonwealth of Frémont will be allowed to administer the FSAT on an application basis.
v. Drafting of the FSAT will begin as soon as possible, and a board of certified instructors in Math, Science, and Language Arts shall be appointed to review the exam's contents. The drafting process must be complete by September 2021.

i. All public universities in the Commonwealth of Frémont will be folded into the Frémont Higher Education Authority System.
b. The Northwest-Pacific District, consisting of the states of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands, and all outlying territories under the jurisdiction of Frémont.
c. The Southwestern District, consisting of the states of Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico.
d. The Plains District, consisting of the states of North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, and Kansas.
b. redistributing faculty and reallocating dorm space to address capacity issues,
d. purchasing or renting facilities previously owned by closed private universities, or purchasing new land to build educational facilities, as needed to address capacity issues,
e. establishing a new tenure system, with the consent of major teachers’s unions,
f. working in conjunction with local public transportation authorities to establish extensive commuter options for colleges in their jurisdiction, and
iv. Due to outstanding political concerns, the public universities of the state of Kansas will not be integrated into the FHEA at this time.

Section V (Curriculum)
i. The FHEA will work to standardize curriculum quality across all public universities. It will do so by working with university faculty and regional education officials to:
ii. The FHEA will aim to achieve maximum curriculum standardization by January 20252027.
iii. All FHEA universities, if not already doing so, will be encouraged to offer a general “Honors Track”, a series of accelerated and/or advanced courses for general education or a specific area of study.
iv. The FHEA will establish “flagship schools”, or state universities academically renowned on the national level that would be overloaded with admissions requests due to their existing prestige, with higher admissions standards. The following schools will be considered for flagship status:
v. After academic alignment and standardization is seen by the FHEA as complete, the need for flagship schools will be re-evaluated.

Section VI (Admissions)
i. Any Frémont student that scores over 1200 SAT-E will be offered admission to all non-flagship FHEA colleges.
ii. Any Frémont student that scores over 1300 SAT-E will be offered admission to the honors program of the FHEA college they choose to attend.
iii. Admissions requirements for “flagship schools” will be set by officials from the school in concern and district FHEA officials, based on school capacity and demand. However, these requirements may not exceed 1400 SAT-E.
iv. Requirements for individual schools may be subjected to change based on school capacity and demand. However, all such changes must be carefully vetted by the FHEA, and requirements may not exceed those enumerated in this bill by 50 SAT-E points.
v. Any Frémont student not meeting these requirements will be admitted to their local community college. If they can maintain a GPA above 3.25, they will be able to transfer to a FHEA college of their choice after two years, provided that they retake the FSAT and score above the admissions threshold for their desired college. .

i. Students whose parents or legal guardians have a combined yearly income of below $70,000 will not be charged academic tuition.
ii. For students whose parents or legal guardians have a combined yearly income of between $70,000 and $270,000 will be charged five cents of yearly academic tuition per dollar of yearly income over $70,000.
iii. For students whose parents or legal guardians have a combined yearly income of over $270,000, $10,000 in yearly academic tuition will be charged.
iv. Students commuting to the FHEA school geographically closest to them will be granted a yearly waiver for public transportation costs.
v. Students attending a school in-state, but not commuting, will be charged $2,000 in yearly room-and-board tuition.
vi. Students attending a school out-of-state whose parents or legal guardians have a combined yearly income of below $70,000 will be charged $3,000 in yearly room-and-board tuition.
vii.  Students attending a school out-of-state whose parents or legal guardians have a combined yearly income of between $70,000 and $270,000 will be charged three and a half cents of yearly room-and-board tuition per dollar of yearly income over $70,000.
viii. Students attending a school out-of-state whose parents or legal guardians have a combined yearly income of over $270,000 will be charged $10,000 in yearly room-and-board tuition.

Section VIII (Implementation)
i. The provisions of this Act shall come into effect for the 2022-2023 school year
ii. If the Frémont Department of Education believes preparations are inadequate to implement the provisions of this Act, implementation may be delayed until the 2023-2024 school year at the latest without legislative action.
Proposing the following amendment for more realistic timing benchmarks.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 09:29:43 PM »

I approve of the amendment. Once it is adopted, since it appears nobody has anything more to add, should we proceed to a vote?
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 10:25:54 PM »

I approve of the amendment. Once it is adopted, since it appears nobody has anything more to add, should we proceed to a vote?
Unless some random public comment comes, that's a good plan.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 12:45:52 PM »

Well, then, I move for a vote.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 01:13:59 PM »

Motion seconded. Vote opened.

48 hours.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 02:08:30 PM »

Aye.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 05:51:34 PM »

Don't think any of you guys saw this, so I'll reiterate. Final vote on this bill is now open, and will proceed for 48 hours until all you n00bs vote.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 06:08:35 PM »

Aye
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 10:25:10 PM »

Aye!
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 07:31:37 AM »

Aye!
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 08:19:36 PM »

Looks like this bill passed, but I'll hold open the vote for Koopa.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2020, 03:39:54 PM »

Frémont Parliament Bill 15.14 - Sponsored by Oregon Blue Dog, MFP

LABPAXINDTOTAL
Aye
Nay
Abstain
Not Present

FFTRMLULTOTAL
Aye
Nay
Abstain
Not Present

First Minister HARRY S TRUMAN of North Dakota (LAB/FF)
Mr. AUSTRALIANSWINGVOTER of Washington (IND/ML)
Mr. ISHAN of Guam (LAB/UL)
Ms. KOOPADAQUICK of Iowa (PAX/TR)
Mr. OREGON BLUE DOG of Oregon (LAB/ML)

The bill passes. Thanks to everyone for their support.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2020, 05:11:12 PM »

Section I (Title)

Section II (Definitions)

v. Drafting of the FSAT will begin as soon as possible, and a board of certified instructors in Math, Science, and Language Arts shall be appointed to review the exam's contents. The drafting process must be complete by September 2021.

Section V (Curriculum)
ii. The FHEA will aim to achieve maximum curriculum standardization by January 2027.

Section VI (Admissions)

Section VIII (Implementation)
i. The provisions of this Act shall come into effect for the 2022-2023 school year
ii. If the Frémont Department of Education believes preparations are inadequate to implement the provisions of this Act, implementation may be delayed until the 2023-2024 school year at the latest without legislative action.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies