Death of the Stag - ASOIAF Game - Sign Up and OOC Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:39:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Death of the Stag - ASOIAF Game - Sign Up and OOC Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Death of the Stag - ASOIAF Game - Sign Up and OOC Thread  (Read 6280 times)
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: April 16, 2020, 07:07:59 PM »

Renly please
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 08:56:44 PM »

This is probably (for me as Renly) one of the 4-5 scariest players I could get as Stannis, there aren't many people I am afraid of in these games Lumine, Dkrol, GoTfan, KingPoleon, and Dereich. All are great with strategy and the big picture and are some of the most well rounded players to counter my aggressive playstyle.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 04:07:28 PM »

That's how it was in Canon, the reach + stormlands combined for 100k and had Stannis outnumbered 4:1 when they brought just their cav to Stormsend while their foot was still at Bitterbridge
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 04:23:17 PM »

That's how it was in Canon, the reach + stormlands combined for 100k and had Stannis outnumbered 4:1 when they brought just their cav to Stormsend while their foot was still at Bitterbridge

And yet Renly never considered recognising Joffrey or allying with the Lannisters.

Well, I'll give you insight to my POV as Renly. Basically Im facing down 40,000 men from the Crownlands, Dorne has allied with the Lannisters, and the Reach has allied with the Lannisters as well I am surrounded on all sides outnumbered heavily and my only possible ally is you, Stannis. Now, normally I would be open to attempting to luck out some victory against the combined might of the Lannisters, Tyrells, Crownlands, and Martell's. Renly is a smart guy, if I don't bend the knee I have maybe 1-2 turns before I am overrun at the Bronzegate and have a Lannister Army on my doorstep and Stannis can't do jack to help me.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 12:58:02 PM »

I have a much bigger problem with the Martell-Lannister-Tyrell alliance. I mean, that’s three Great Houses that absolutely despise each other. As it was, the Tyrell’s got two seats on the Small Council and a Queen, only doing so after Renly died. I don’t really think it’s realistic for all three of those to form an alliance when they all are huge rivals.

I will say this, I think the Lannister-Tyrell-Martell alliance sort of makes sense in a weird way, Myrcella is the most eligible "bachelorette" in the 7k, and establishing close ties to the Tyrells are necessary for Joff to stay on the throne, as we remember from the OTL WotFK The Lannisters are practically screwed until the death of Renly and the Tyrell's turning coat, and fighting for the Lannisters at the Blackwater. For the Martells the marriage between Arriane and Tommen may seem strange at first, but seeing what we know about Doran from the books on how he tried to manipulate Arrianne, I think him marrying Arrianne to Tommen accomplishes his goal of allowing Arriane to succeed him as Princess of Dorne and it could also lul the Lannisters into a sense of trust with the Martell's which book Doran at least seemed to want from them. Just my two cents however.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 08:23:16 PM »

I am at a point where I'm not sure what to do. I see the points raised by many players, in regards to character developments and structural choices I've made in the game, and I agree with a good number of them. I don't know if its appropriate to go through and overrule them, and make changes to my own decisions, at this point. Would that cause more harm than good?

I just say we keep it like it is
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 11:36:48 AM »

I really don't have issue with the alliances, but there is one certain sticking point: Tywin would never, ever allow Renly and Stannis to survive. I don't know what that means going forward, but a peace like this kind of ruins momentum and impetus for him to murder him down the line. Imagine how more elaborate this takedown will become rather than just having him branded a traitor and being done with it, I mean he's completely cornered and they can bring the Tyrell navy and just wait him out; massively OOC to not take this opportunity to take out one of the biggest threats to his line's reign; a young capable, likable adult male claimant who will certainly be fathering children soon, on Margaery Tyrell, long before his own match will be capable and therefore tarnishing his own alliance.

TLDR: It's not out of character for Renly, but completely out of character for Tywin. Can't imagine a scenario where he would allow this.

Up to your discretion but I would tend toward changing less than more, considering we don't know what's going on in people's skulls. I don't think anyone foresaw this occurring which is arguably the point of these what if scenarios. I'm fine with playing through, considering this was a pick up and play character for me anyways.

Getting back to the game, I have some PMs that need answering Smiley

Who said Tywin is going to let Renly survive?

Renly knows Tywin is gonna have him whacked, but the real question is, when/where/how. Declaring fealy to Joffrey allows Renly to not be crushed by the combined mass of Lannister-Tyrell-Martell, but it allows Lannister-Baratheon to have a nonliteral battle.   
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 02:49:51 PM »

I've rolled the dice and processed the turn. Everything is up now.

I won't hold up the turn, but we can't move forward until we get a Dornish player.

Shouldn't Berric be with the Brotherhood without Banners? Not at Blackhaven?
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 03:06:55 PM »

I've rolled the dice and processed the turn. Everything is up now.

I won't hold up the turn, but we can't move forward until we get a Dornish player.

Shouldn't Berric be with the Brotherhood without Banners? Not at Blackhaven?

His timeline is not clear, at least to me. I believe that sometime between the Tourney for Ned becoming Hand and the Clash of Kings starting he joins the Brotherhood. I chose to, in my GM creative license, to have him still be Lord of Blackhaven at this point.

Beric is sent by Ned to arrest the Mountain after the Tourney of the Hand and many of the former members of  said expedition were killed at the Battle of the Mummers Ford (The battle where Beric originally dies) so wouldn't that mean that Beric should be in the Riverlands? It wouldn't really matter as the only difference is that he isn't surrendering the castle instead it's his Castellan.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies