Historically Republican Counties (With MianFei)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:44:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Historically Republican Counties (With MianFei)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Historically Republican Counties (With MianFei)  (Read 3260 times)
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2020, 08:11:34 PM »

Putnam County, MO has been consistently Republican since at least 1932. I'm not able to find county-level results from before then. Maybe someone here can? It's definitely the longest one-party streak of any Missouri county, but I have no idea of exactly how long it is.
Actually, Gasconade County is the longest one-party streak of any County, not just in Missouri, but nationally too. Both Gasconade, and Putnam though, along with Ozark and Taney Counties have voted Republican every time since after the Civil War ended though.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2020, 01:34:31 PM »

South Dakota (following my criteria):
Campbell
Hamlin
Sully
Douglas
Jones
Hyde
clever but short
andy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2020, 11:38:59 PM »

Putnam County, MO has been consistently Republican since at least 1932. I'm not able to find county-level results from before then. Maybe someone here can? It's definitely the longest one-party streak of any Missouri county, but I have no idea of exactly how long it is.
Actually, Gasconade County is the longest one-party streak of any County, not just in Missouri, but nationally too. Both Gasconade, and Putnam though, along with Ozark and Taney Counties have voted Republican every time since after the Civil War ended though.
Why was it so loyal?
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2020, 12:18:12 AM »

Gasconade County, MO voted Republican in 1860 and has voted Republican in every election for President since (and has been GOP downballot in every election where I can find data).

Claire McCaskill won it in 2002 though.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2020, 06:29:02 PM »

St. Joseph County Michigan has been won by every GOP Presidential candidate since 1964 and before that, I believe it was won by Roosevelt in 1932 as well, but when we go back to 1900 it was the only county won by WJB in Michigan, it was also won by WJB in 1896.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2020, 10:33:18 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2020, 10:45:30 PM by I Was So Wrong »

Updated-
What should I do for counties that voted D in 1856, but then became staunch Republican since 1860? Such as Gasconade, and several other counties in MO. In fact, many counties in KY, TN, and MO actually do not fit the bill under this criteria, although I find it hard to read the old maps since county boundaries have changed much since then, so I know I am missing a few. I could not tell from the map how Owsley County voted in '56 and '60, for example. I know Fremont was not on the ballot in these states in 1856, but I would have thought that those counties would have voted for Fillmore, not Buchanan. (Like Edwards, IL) (For example, I include counties that voted for Bell in 1860).
I do include counties that voted D before 1856, of course.

Does anyone know how Owsley County voted in 1856? Thanks!
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2020, 11:07:13 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2020, 12:02:49 AM by I Was So Wrong »

Here is the map of what I consider to be Historically Republican Counties. I know I must be missing some from Kentucky and Tennessee. I excluded many that most would put on the list. Again, I am excluding many counties from MO, KY, and TN until I get a better reading on their voting in the elections of 1856 and 1860. That does not mean I will not put them on eventually. I excluded counties such as Potter, PA, due to strong liberal third party showings. So this is just a starting map. Anyone notice any areas of interest? I am intrigued by West Central Ohio, I wonder why that area has consistently voted Republican.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2020, 11:21:12 PM »

Here is the map of what I consider to be Historically Republican Counties. I know I must be missing some from Kentucky and Tennessee. I excluded many that most would put on the list. Again, I am excluding many counties from MO, KY, and TN until I get a better reading on their voting in the elections of 1856 and 1860. That does not mean I will not put them on eventually. I excluded counties such as Potter, PA, due to strong liberal third party showings. So this is just a starting map. Anyone notice any areas of interest? I am intrigued by West Central Ohio, I wonder why that area has consistently voted Republican.

A thought that comes to mind is that a lot of these counties are former Yankee belt counties that were subsequently Germanified but done so at just the right times so that almost always voted Republican, meaning this demographic transition occurred or perhaps better stated as "got serious enough to effect the outcome" after 1896 (or maybe even after WWI in some cases) and before 1964, and thus avoided a potential Democratic trend from the Germans before or the Yankees after that time range. Heavily rural without a unionized presence (which is why a large part of NE OH and NW PA is not on the map) and also a strong religious tradition that was either maintained or replaced at just the right time and thus likewise avoided a Democratic trend.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2020, 12:35:37 AM »

Ah, that makes sense, I was wondering why mostNE OH and NW PA counties were not on this list! Unions answer that! And dang you were right about German populations many of these counties marked do have high German populations! Also, I notice that Geugua, OH and Walworth, WI counties voted Free Soil in both 1848 and in 1852.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2020, 12:42:54 AM »

Ah, that makes sense, I was wondering why most NE, OH and NW PA counties were not on this list! Unions answer that! And dang you were right about German populations many of these counties marked do have high German populations! Also, I notice that Geugua, OH and Walworth, WI counties voted Free Soil in both 1848 and in 1852.

Geugua is in the "Western Reserve" of Ohio, which was the Whig base in that state but its free soil defection cost them the state and caused it to vote Democratic. Meanwhile in NY, Van Buren pulled more from ex-Jacksonians and hence why Taylor won NY. I would guess that Walworth was in this same boat since I don't think there was much Whig presence in WI.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2020, 10:55:32 AM »

Image doesn't display.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2020, 12:03:10 AM »

Hmm, sorry about that, does the image display now?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2020, 01:09:22 AM »

Now I cannot see it and I could before.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2020, 01:20:03 AM »

I cannot see the map either, and have never been able to see it.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2020, 07:02:57 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2020, 08:51:13 PM by I Was So Wrong »

Here we are! Note that I have not yet begun Missouri and most of the south yet, as I am wondering how to handle the 1856 election, which throws a wrench in most of those counties Republican/Whig historical patterns. Also, I left out some northern counties if Democrat+liberal third party vote share reached 50% in an election. So this is a very, very basic map, that should be used as a starting point. (Shoot, disregard Clinton county in Indiana).

mianfei
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2020, 10:16:41 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2020, 10:30:26 PM by mianfei »

Completing certain states:

West Virginia:

• Grant
  • Morgan
  • Preston
  • Ritchie
  • Upshur

Kentucky:

• Clay
  • Jackson
  • Leslie
  • McCreary
  • Owsley
  • Pulaski
  • Whitley

Tennessee:

• Blount
  • Bradley
  • Carter
  • Cocke
  • Grainger
  • Greene
  • Hancock
  • Hawkins
  • Jefferson
  • Johnson
  • Scott
  • Sevier
  • Unicoi
  • Washington

Oklahoma:

• Blaine
  • Ellis
  • Garfield
  • Kingfisher
  • Major

New Mexico:

• Lincoln

Wyoming:

• Weston

I excluded Sublette County, Wyoming and Clark County, Idaho – both of which have never voted for a Democrat other than FDR in 1932 and, in Sublette County’s case 1936 – because they were only created after 1916 and the area they occupy almost certainly voted Democratic in 1896 and 1916.

Tyler County, WV is debatable, its 1996 official result has Bill Clinton winning it, and not even with it being particularly close, but chances are that the official result is an error, and that Dole probably won it in actuality.
Given the Clinton lost Tyler County, WV to Bush senior by a mere six votes in 1992, and that in 1996 he made gains in Unionist Appalachia comparable to what he did in rural Yankee counties – for instance winning 37 percent or 4 percent more than LBJ in Owsley County and being the only Democrat apart from Lyndon Johnson to carry Martin County, KY – it is entirely understandable that Clinton would have won Tyler County. The margin, I will admit, is a little suspicious though.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2020, 10:56:30 PM »

Thanks! I'm gonna make two maps, one that includes counties that had Dem+liberal 3rd party over 50% in 1892 or 1924, and one that does not contain those counties. (The map I have so far excludes those, which is why Potter County, PA isn't on the map)
mianfei
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2020, 12:33:25 AM »

Thanks! I'm gonna make two maps, one that includes counties that had Dem+liberal 3rd party over 50% in 1892 or 1924, and one that does not contain those counties. (The map I have so far excludes those, which is why Potter County, PA isn't on the map)
Thanks for the information! I knew that if La Follette got over 50 percent, the county would be omitted – is that not why Hutchinson County and Turner County in South Dakota are not on the map? (An interesting sidelight is that those two counties were more Democratic than the national average in 1972, the reason of course being a favorite son vote for the overwhelmingly defeated McGovern.)

I wonder if I am cheating by including states that were not in the Union until well after 1860? How Lincoln County, NM and those Oklahoma counties would have voted before 1912 or 1908 I do not know, but given that Lincoln was ancestrally Texas German-settled, it might have resisted Bryan.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2020, 12:35:34 AM »

Thanks for the information! I knew that if La Follette got over 50 percent, the county would be omitted – is that not why Hutchinson County and Turner County in South Dakota are not on the map? (An interesting sidelight is that those two counties were more Democratic than the national average in 1972, the reason of course being a favorite son vote for the overwhelmingly defeated McGovern.)
Yep! And I excluded Southern counties that did not vote for Fillmore or Bell in 1856 and 1860! (For the first map, second map I will include all of them!) I'm giving you co-authorship on this, since you helped me out a ton!
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2020, 12:40:29 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2020, 12:45:08 AM by I Was So Wrong »

Here it is! Thanks so much for the help, MianFei! Time to get started on the second, more inclusive map! (Which contains most of those southern counties that voted for Buchanan or Breckinridge, eastern counties that were created after 1876, and certain counties with D plus lib. third party over 50% in 1892, 1916, and 1924 elections!)

mianfei
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2020, 12:55:23 AM »

Yep! And I excluded Southern counties that did not vote for Fillmore or Bell in 1856 and 1860! (For the first map, second map I will include all of them!) I'm giving you co-authorship on this, since you helped me out a ton!
Thanks!

I did not check whether the counties I listed in Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginia voted for Fillmore or Bell. None of the counties in Missouri that have not voted Democratic since 1860, nor those that voted Democratic only in 1932 (Camden County, Christian County, Stone County) voted for Fillmore, and only Christian County voted for Bell. In fact, all those unionist counties in the Ozarks, Missouri Rhineland and Iowa Line were Democratic during the Second Party System, as were almost all those in West Virginia except Grant (not created until after the Civil War) and Morgan. Much of their unionism was from pure unwillingness of poor whites to be martyrs for rich plantation owners.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2020, 01:01:14 AM »

Wow, I am learning a lot! Thanks so much! I was wondering why those counties were very pro Union! And thanks for the lesson on those Missouri counties, they were confusing me!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies