Georgia Black DINO state rep, endorses Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:43:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia Black DINO state rep, endorses Trump
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Georgia Black DINO state rep, endorses Trump  (Read 3135 times)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2020, 02:17:41 PM »

LOL at the Walk Away hash tag. Then why are you in the Democratic Primary sir?

I just donated to his opponent. Hopefully folks can get this message out because his District is not full of Resistance wine moms who are on Twitter. These are working class Black voters who are just trying to make it day by day and probably overwhelmed with COVID-19 stuff.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2020, 09:36:14 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2020, 01:10:15 PM by Biden/Abrams Voter »

On one hand, these are fairly common situations when you have 90% of a large constituency clustered within one party. When 90% of a community is in one party, you're bound to have loads of people with terrible beliefs on one issue or another. It's a good reason why so many GOP state caucuses where they achieved supermajority status can't seem to agree on much of anything.

On the other hand, this is Vernon Jones, who has been known as a long-time pariah in Georgia Democratic politics (as an example, he's the only Democrat who comes to mind who managed not only to lose a statewide primary runoff despite coming in 1st in the first round, but actually got a smaller vote share in the runoff). His name recognition in Dekalb (and now Rockdale) is the only reason he's managed to get back in office time after time, and it'll be the only thing that can (and probably will) save him this time. His opponent has a lot of party and community organizing history in Rockdale, though (which is >60% of the district), so we'll see - she made the runoff against him in 2016 and only lost by 8 points. The state party will put everything they can into helping her, I imagine.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2020, 09:47:21 AM »

It is worth noting that this shouldn't be shocking. Jones has always been fairly forthright on his conservative positions - he won a less-than-insignificant share of rural conservative Democrats in his 2008 Senate primary, as one example, and has for the better part of 20 years been a self-described "libertarian" of sorts. Those actually familiar with his long-term worldview shouldn't be surprised at his endorsement of Trump.

In a world where both parties had a fighting shot at winning majority-black constituencies, I'm 100% positive he would be a Republican. Alas and again, these are the situations that unfold when 90% of a large constituency votes for one party: the power-hungry go along to get along, if just in name only. Same thing happens in heavily-white rural areas these days as well; around one-third of the GOP elected officials in my county are personally Democratic, but they pretend to be conservative (and given there are greater consequences for breaking from the party line if you're a R, far more convincing in their public personas).
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2020, 10:10:27 AM »

On one hand, these are fairly common situations when you have 90% of a large constituency clustered within one party. When 90% of a community is in one party, you're bound to have loads of people with terrible beliefs on one issue or another. It's a good reason why so many GOP state caucuses where they achieved supermajority status can't seem to agree on much of anything.

On the other hand, this is Vernon Jones, who has been known as a long-time pariah in Georgia Democratic politics (as an example, he's the only Democrat who comes to mind who managed not only to lose a statewide primary runoff despite coming in 1st in the first round, but actually got a smaller vote share in the runoff). His name recognition in Dekalb (and now Rockdale) is the only reason he's managed to get back in office time after time, and it'll be the only thing that can (and probably will) save him this time. His opponent has a lot of party and community organizing history in Rockdale, though (which is >60% of the district), so we'll see. The state party will put everything they can into helping her, I imagine.
Do you really think he has a shot to win again? He has full-throatedly endorsed one of the hated politicians among AA's, and furthermore it has gotten fairly extensive coverage. I imagine that Taylor will basically be to flip any voter she can manage to contact.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2020, 10:19:01 AM »

On the other hand, this is Vernon Jones, who has been known as a long-time pariah in Georgia Democratic politics (as an example, he's the only Democrat who comes to mind who managed not only to lose a statewide primary runoff despite coming in 1st in the first round, but actually got a smaller vote share in the runoff). His name recognition in Dekalb (and now Rockdale) is the only reason he's managed to get back in office time after time, and it'll be the only thing that can (and probably will) save him this time. His opponent has a lot of party and community organizing history in Rockdale, though (which is >60% of the district), so we'll see. The state party will put everything they can into helping her, I imagine.
Do you really think he has a shot to win again? He has full-throatedly endorsed one of the hated politicians among AA's, and furthermore it has gotten fairly extensive coverage. I imagine that Taylor will basically be to flip any voter she can manage to contact.

Probably the biggest dynamic working against him is it'll be a primary by mail this year, where voters have to procure 3 stamps and endure 2 rounds of bureaucracy to vote. I'm not looking to write a 5-paragraph essay of nuance on the primary voting habits of majority-black constituencies, why they are more prone to re-electing/less prone to primarying awful incumbents and how the Trump era has not outraged black communities as much as white ones, but the gist is: there will likely be a large contingent of people voting in the primary who won't even know about this, and will simply defer to incumbency & name recognition (before anybody wants to complain about this, ask yourself how he got into the State House in '16 in the first place?).

There'll undoubtedly be a lot of squawking among state politicos, Atlas types and other avid political followers over this; if the district were 75% white and filled with WOWs and #Resist types, then his ass would be grass. Given his district and name rec, that outcome is by no means guaranteed. He's not the first s[inks]tbird to survive a primary because he did something bad.

He might not be an absolute favorite, but he isn't automatically guaranteed to be some underdog because of this either.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2020, 10:21:06 AM »

Bad politics for him to pair this with "#WalkAway" — the endorsement means more if he appears a committed Democrat who simply thinks Trump is the better candidate for his constituents.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2020, 10:24:38 AM »

This is why I am an Independent. However, Jones is a nutcase. He'll be an Independent.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2020, 04:15:41 PM »

First things first. This guy is a crackhead, and does not belong in the Democratic Party. If he was some Dixiecrat from Turner County, I'd understand, but if he's from freaking DeKalb there's no business here. Also, note the rule of white conservative politics. The more blacks in your coalition, the more conservative whites you scare off. Ask LBJ how the Dems lost the South.

It's not 1964

While true, Lee Atwater did say something along the lines of we can't use the N-word anymore so we're gonna use forced bussing, tough on crime etc.

Attitudes have drastically changed.

Yes. Modern day Republicans have switched back to being far less subtle.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2020, 04:18:42 PM »

Probably the biggest dynamic working against him is it'll be a primary by mail this year, where voters have to procure 3 stamps and endure 2 rounds of bureaucracy to vote. I'm not looking to write a 5-paragraph essay of nuance on the primary voting habits of majority-black constituencies, why they are more prone to re-electing/less prone to primarying awful incumbents and how the Trump era has not outraged black communities as much as white ones, but the gist is: there will likely be a large contingent of people voting in the primary who won't even know about this, and will simply defer to incumbency & name recognition (before anybody wants to complain about this, ask yourself how he got into the State House in '16 in the first place?).

There'll undoubtedly be a lot of squawking among state politicos, Atlas types and other avid political followers over this; if the district were 75% white and filled with WOWs and #Resist types, then his ass would be grass. Given his district and name rec, that outcome is by no means guaranteed. He's not the first s[inks]tbird to survive a primary because he did something bad.

He might not be an absolute favorite, but he isn't automatically guaranteed to be some underdog because of this either.

Since his opponent only lost by 8 points last time, and this is undoubtedly a game-changer, it's hard to see how he'd pull it out in a regular non-mail election. Fingers crossed!
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2020, 07:40:47 AM »

The AJC has an article about Jones and the endorsement:

OPINION: Crazy? Genius? Democrat Vernon Jones’ right-wing exit strategy
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2020, 10:05:38 AM »

This seemed to be a pretty apt summation of what this whole "thing":

“He’s useless in Georgia because people in both parties know him,” said Holcomb. “But he can pull the wool over other people’s eyes. He could be a unique asset to the Trump campaign.”
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2020, 07:13:34 AM »

Jones has resigned from the state legislature.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2020, 07:22:31 AM »

Will any other Democrats jump into the race?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2020, 07:27:19 AM »

He was already facing a very credible primary opponent, Rhonda Taylor, who was probably the favorite even if Jones stayed in.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2020, 09:54:24 AM »

Ah, well, I guess it solved itself then. I cant help but feel we'll being seeing Mr. Jones on the conservative talk show and Fox News circuit relatively soon though. 
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2020, 01:38:17 PM »

So, looks like he can be the next Herman Cain/Larry Elder/Wayne Dupree/etc. ranting about how African-Americans should leave the "Liberal Democrat Plantation" every 5 minutes.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2020, 01:53:40 PM »

So, looks like he can be the next Herman Cain/Larry Elder/Wayne Dupree/etc. ranting about how African-Americans should leave the "Liberal Democrat Plantation" every 5 minutes.

From the article GeorgiaModerate linked already about his resignation:

“Turn the lights off, I have left the plantation,” Jones said in a statement. “Someone else can occupy that suite. Therefore, I intend not to complete my term effective April 22, 2020.”

“I don’t plan to leave the Democratic Party because somebody’s got to be in there to hold them accountable —hold them accountable to how they are treating black people (and) root out the bigotry,” Jones said on The Rashad Richey Morning Show shortly after announcing his resignation.

“I intend to help the Democrat Party get rid of its bigotry against Black people that are independent and conservative,” Jones said in the statement announcing his resignation. “I endorsed the White guy (Donald J. Trump) that let Blacks out of jail, and they endorsed the White guy (Joe Biden) that put Blacks in jail.”
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2020, 03:45:45 PM »

Qualifying has closed. The nominee will be Rhonda Taylor.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2020, 03:50:33 PM »

Huh, that was certainly an odd side-plot. At least we got a better Democratic state rep out of it.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2020, 04:13:04 PM »

Is there such a thing as a black DINO?
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2020, 05:27:46 PM »

Ah, well, I guess it solved itself then. I cant help but feel we'll being seeing Mr. Jones on the conservative talk show and Fox News circuit relatively soon though. 

Like that KY clerk who refused to wed a gay couple, this guy has cashed in on the right wing media persecution complex.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2020, 07:21:10 PM »

Like that KY clerk who refused to wed a gay couple, this guy has cashed in on the right wing media persecution complex.

yeah, he's well on his way to being a prime grifter. He was already on hannity last week.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2020, 11:21:18 AM »

From the article GeorgiaModerate linked already about his resignation:

“Turn the lights off, I have left the plantation,” Jones said in a statement. “Someone else can occupy that suite. Therefore, I intend not to complete my term effective April 22, 2020.”

“I don’t plan to leave the Democratic Party because somebody’s got to be in there to hold them accountable —hold them accountable to how they are treating black people (and) root out the bigotry,” Jones said on The Rashad Richey Morning Show shortly after announcing his resignation.

“I intend to help the Democrat Party get rid of its bigotry against Black people that are independent and conservative,” Jones said in the statement announcing his resignation. “I endorsed the White guy (Donald J. Trump) that let Blacks out of jail, and they endorsed the White guy (Joe Biden) that put Blacks in jail.”

Shibboleth: no actual Democrat says "Democrat Party."
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2020, 02:51:57 PM »

He has reversed course and will NOT resign Roll Eyes

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2020, 02:54:09 PM »

Although Jones has unresigned, he did withdraw his candidacy for reelection, so Rhonda Taylor will be the new representative.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies