Is it ridiculous to call NH and VT gov safe R?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:47:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is it ridiculous to call NH and VT gov safe R?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Is it ridiculous to call NH and VT gov safe R?  (Read 1049 times)
Lognog
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2020, 03:28:33 PM »

IMO that is what i would rate them, they have insanely high approvals (Sununu is at 73% based off of 538). Yes, the numbers are inflated because of COVID, but I think voters will remember liking how they handled the crisis. Also, they weathered the storm of 2018 very well against some decent challengers, especially considering the walloping other Republicans on the state level saw
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 03:50:26 PM »

No.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 05:12:49 PM »

can't tell if that's to the question or if that is to what I said
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 05:53:56 PM »

Yes
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 06:21:35 PM »

The question Tongue
voice_of_resistance
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.34, S: 5.22

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 07:33:50 PM »

Vermont no, NH yes
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 07:39:04 PM »

It is ridiculous
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 08:10:10 PM »

Vermont is safe
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 09:10:11 PM »

Both are states where high approval ratings for governors aren't all that well reflected in election results. Sununu had something like a 60% approval rating in 2018 and won with 52.8% of the vote. Plus, both states have well organized and effective Democratic parties, and seem to have viable candidates running.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 10:22:09 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2020, 10:04:58 AM by KaiserDave »

Both are states where high approval ratings for governors aren't all that well reflected in election results. Sununu had something like a 60% approval rating in 2018 and won with 52.8% of the vote. Plus, both states have well organized and effective Democratic parties, and seem to have viable candidates running.

As you would know, the VT Dem party has been remarkably ineffective at doing anything since Green Mountain Care failed. Phil won by a huge margin in a D wave year, and with COVID increasing his approvals, I expect him to win by more.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 10:28:38 PM »

As you would know, the VT Des party has been remarkably ineffective at doing anything since Green Mountain Care failed. Phil won by a huge margin in a D wave year, and with COVID increasing his approvals, I expect him to win by more.

That timeline doesn't sync up. Green Mountain Care was arguably dead by April 2014 yet Shumlin still managed to be re-elected despite voters' dissatisfaction with the progress the state had made in instituting health care reform.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 12:16:23 AM »

I would not call NH Safe R at all, as a rule, given NH's fickle elasticness, but depending on circumstances, I could definitely see it being Likely R due to Sununu's incumbency.

VT is probably easier to consider as such, given how Scott has run strong in past elections, so I could, with some reluctance, rate as Safe R until more evidence arose that he was actually vulnerable.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 03:11:30 AM »

No. I would personally rate them both Likely R, but both of their approval's and early polling suggests fairly easy re-elections for both of them thus far. Dems couldn't even take out Sununu last cycle despite tightening towards the end and many people predicting upsets.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2020, 07:38:42 AM »

Dems will have to wait another election cycle to beat them
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2020, 10:05:59 AM »

As you would know, the VT Des party has been remarkably ineffective at doing anything since Green Mountain Care failed. Phil won by a huge margin in a D wave year, and with COVID increasing his approvals, I expect him to win by more.

That timeline doesn't sync up. Green Mountain Care was arguably dead by April 2014 yet Shumlin still managed to be re-elected despite voters' dissatisfaction with the progress the state had made in instituting health care reform.

Fair, but if Shumlin scraping by in 2014 is the only thing they have to prove them being an effective party, then I think my point stands.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2020, 10:57:41 AM »

Fair, but if Shumlin scraping by in 2014 is the only thing they have to prove them being an effective party, then I think my point stands.

Green Mountain Care was a flaming mess and Shumlin never personally recovered, but he did manage to win re-election (narrowly) in 2014 after it was thrown to the State Legislature. More to the point, what other offices have been competitive for the GOP statewide recently? Both the House and Senate have Democratic (or Dems+allies) super majorities, though I grant you the caucus is fractured at times. I hope Scot is re-elected, I personally like him and think he has done a good job, but safe R in a state that heavily favors Democrats is just a bit too much. I can see the race being Likely R at this point, but the partisan lean is just too much to ever make the race Safe R.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 11:31:57 AM »

Green Mountain Care was a flaming mess and Shumlin never personally recovered, but he did manage to win re-election (narrowly) in 2014 after it was thrown to the State Legislature. More to the point, what other offices have been competitive for the GOP statewide recently? Both the House and Senate have Democratic (or Dems+allies) super majorities, though I grant you the caucus is fractured at times. I hope Scot is re-elected, I personally like him and think he has done a good job, but safe R in a state that heavily favors Democrats is just a bit too much. I can see the race being Likely R at this point, but the partisan lean is just too much to ever make the race Safe R.

Hmmmm. I suppose I see your point, but at least again Phil I think the party is pretty ineffective. Every attack that's been used against him has failed miserably, and while Zuckerman is a decent candidate to keep it somewhat competitive, Holcombe would get wiped out.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 11:47:12 AM »

Hmmmm. I suppose I see your point, but at least again Phil I think the party is pretty ineffective. Every attack that's been used against him has failed miserably, and while Zuckerman is a decent candidate to keep it somewhat competitive, Holcombe would get wiped out.

I do think Scott is proving difficult for the Democrat's to effectively attack. The most controversial thing he can do is veto bills, and the only way to keep them from becoming a law if the legislature tried to overturn it is if some Democrats defect to sustain the veto. So it's hard for the Democrat's to  attack Scott for his vetoes when some Democrats in the legislature had to vote to sustain them in the first place. Beyond that, you're right, they just don't have great messaging against him yet.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 12:14:37 PM »

I do think Scott is proving difficult for the Democrat's to effectively attack. The most controversial thing he can do is veto bills, and the only way to keep them from becoming a law if the legislature tried to overturn it is if some Democrats defect to sustain the veto. So it's hard for the Democrat's to  attack Scott for his vetoes when some Democrats in the legislature had to vote to sustain them in the first place. Beyond that, you're right, they just don't have great messaging against him yet.

Yeah, and given that his COVID seems to be approved of, I doubt he loses. But Likely R is fine.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2020, 06:27:30 PM »

No. It's similar to the Charlie Baker dynamic here in Massachusetts, where tons of liberals love their "moderate" Republican governors, even though Sununu isn't all that moderate. Both Scott and Sununu will win re-election easily in November.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2020, 11:05:25 PM »

I'm not so sure about Sununu, but the Vermont governorship is in all likelihood Scott's for as long as he wants it, yeah.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2020, 07:55:39 PM »

VT is essentially a non-partisan race at this point. Safe Scott.

NH is just shy of safe, but it would likely take a major collapse of Sununu's term for him to lose.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2020, 06:56:09 AM »

I would always be cautious about calling any gubernatorial race "safe" this far ahead, but if you're willing to do that, Vermont would probably qualify.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2020, 07:31:28 AM »

I think with democrats in Vermont possibly going to nominate an anti-vaxxer I say safe R there isn't out of the ordinary. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2020, 08:27:14 AM »

MT and NH are the only Govs to turn from Red to blue. Of course Dems dont want Sununu to challenge Hassan so Volinsky needs to defeat Sununu
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies