Opinion of theists who believe this regarding God/death/afterlife?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:31:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of theists who believe this regarding God/death/afterlife?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See post below
Agree

Disagree

Unsure

Atheist

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: Opinion of theists who believe this regarding God/death/afterlife?  (Read 1024 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2020, 11:56:32 PM »

We should train ourselves to be at peace with life, death, and the universe -- even if there is no God and/or no afterlife. We should have no fear of death. To believe in God and Heaven, but to also accept there's at least a small possibility that they might not exist, yet still be at peace. Believing that every person, at their core, is good; believing that life itself, at its core, is good; believing that he universe itself, at its core, is good; believing that these truths don't change even if there is no God or Heaven. Being at peace whether the previous beliefs about God, Jesus, and the Afterlife are right or wrong. Same for being at peace if another form of afterlife is true, like: reincarnation, or a neutral/varied afterlife in this universe or a spiritual dimension, or losing personal identity to become one with something. Being at peace with the actual process of dying, being at peace with the potential end of you and your relationships, being at peace with your life's work potentially going unfulfilled, being at peace with potentially never knowing the future of your loved ones or society or the universe, being at peace with death inevitably being forced upon you and everyone else and not knowing when or how.

Opinions?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 12:00:54 AM »

If we're talking about it from a Christian perspective, then the concept of "if there is no God" is a nonstarter.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 12:03:10 AM »

If we're talking about it from a Christian perspective, then the concept of "if there is no God" is a nonstarter.
What if the Christian God is real, but would want his followers to believe this? That is the idea I'm asking to be considered. That God is real, but keeps conclusive proof of his existence uncertain because he wants people to be at peace with the idea of there not being a God or afterlife.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 02:58:25 PM »

This is difficult to assess because it conflates at least two completely different questions (whether we should be at peace with the prospect of death and whether people and the universe are basically good).
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 03:05:43 PM »

Hmm.

I think I am weirdly at peace with being dead, to such an extent it impacts upon my outlook in life.

Being at peace with the actual process of dying

I think that would take a resolve that very few humans and animals possess. It's visceral to fear dying particularly as there are very painful ways in which that can happen. But even painful ways can be embraced if there's a choice/drive in the same way that painless and peaceful passings can be fought.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 06:03:45 PM »

Believing that every person, at their core, is good; believing that life itself, at its core, is good; believing that he universe itself, at its core, is good; believing that these truths don't change even if there is no God or Heaven.

Can't agree with this.  Man is fallen, remember?  That's how all this started. 
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 10:41:28 PM »

Believing that every person, at their core, is good; believing that life itself, at its core, is good; believing that he universe itself, at its core, is good; believing that these truths don't change even if there is no God or Heaven.

Doesn’t Genesis day that God created us, and saw all was good? That’s the core.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 10:44:36 PM »

Doesn’t Genesis day that God created us, and saw all was good? That’s the core.

Did you bother to read what came after that?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 11:20:33 PM »

It didn’t change the core. If it did, Jesus couldn’t have been both God and man.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 02:00:11 AM »

Quote from: Christina Rossetti, "A Fair World Tho' a Fallen"
You tell me that the world is fair, in spite
Of the old fall; and that I should not turn
So to the grave, and let my spirit yearn
After the quiet of the long last night.
Have I then shut mine eyes against the light,
Grief-deafened lest my spirit should discern?
Yet how could I keep silence when I burn?
And who can give me comfort?—hear the right.

Have patience with the weak and sick at heart:
Bind up the wounded with a tender touch.
Comfort the sad, tear-blinded as they go:—
For tho' I failed to choose the better part,
Were it a less unutterable woe
If we should come to love this world too much?—
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 07:46:12 PM »

We should train ourselves to be at peace with life, death, and the universe -- even if there is no God and/or no afterlife. We should have no fear of death. To believe in God and Heaven, but to also accept there's at least a small possibility that they might not exist, yet still be at peace. Believing that every person, at their core, is good; believing that life itself, at its core, is good; believing that he universe itself, at its core, is good; believing that these truths don't change even if there is no God or Heaven. Being at peace whether the previous beliefs about God, Jesus, and the Afterlife are right or wrong. Same for being at peace if another form of afterlife is true, like: reincarnation, or a neutral/varied afterlife in this universe or a spiritual dimension, or losing personal identity to become one with something. Being at peace with the actual process of dying, being at peace with the potential end of you and your relationships, being at peace with your life's work potentially going unfulfilled, being at peace with potentially never knowing the future of your loved ones or society or the universe, being at peace with death inevitably being forced upon you and everyone else and not knowing when or how.

Opinions?

The bolded part is what loses my support.  While I see Eden as myth rather than history, it does encapsulate what I think is an essential truth.  Humanity lost its innocence when it learned that what is good for one can be evil to others. (Not must be, just can be.) It wasn't the tree of good and evil whose fruit Adam and Eve partook of, but the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 03:43:47 AM »

Opinions?

The bolded part is what loses my support.  While I see Eden as myth rather than history, it does encapsulate what I think is an essential truth.  Humanity lost its innocence when it learned that what is good for one can be evil to others. (Not must be, just can be.) It wasn't the tree of good and evil whose fruit Adam and Eve partook of, but the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
But the essential truth of the Eden myth IS the message that we are all good at our core.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 02:16:03 PM »

Opinions?

But the essential truth of the Eden myth IS the message that we are all good at our core.

Really? It's clear from the narrative that once Adam and Eve ate the fruit, they got all scared. Why would they be scared if they knew they were good?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 01:32:20 AM »

Their act didn’t change that God created us in his image, and declared us good.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 11:37:57 PM »

Their act didn’t change that God created us in his image, and declared us good.

Good when created, not eternally good.

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 11:44:50 PM »

Good at core, which sin does not change.

Or else Jesus can't be fully human and fully God, as most Christians accept as fundamental.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2020, 12:15:34 AM »

For myself, I think it is only putting my faith in Christ that would allow me to be at peace with dying whether or not there is an afterlife.

Sin mars and scars the goodness in God's creation, but does not destroy it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 06:10:08 AM »

Many are believing now, that there may be reincarnation,  even if they are Christian. So, the evolution of religious thought is changing
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies