If Ford won in 1976, does he run for reelection in 1980?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:46:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  If Ford won in 1976, does he run for reelection in 1980?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Ford won in 1976, does he run for reelection in 1980?  (Read 915 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2020, 04:44:09 PM »

If President Ford defeated Jimmy Carter in 1976, does Ford run for reelection in 1980?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 04:45:06 PM »

The 22nd Amendment says no.
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 08:58:45 PM »

He didn't really even want to run in 1976 so even if he could, he would probably have chosen not too.

A Democrat would probably have won in 1980 if Ford had beaten Carter in 1976.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 09:27:45 PM »

He didn't really even want to run in 1976 so even if he could, he would probably have chosen not too.

Rumsfeld-Bond 76, probably.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 09:47:04 PM »

Rumsfeld-Bond 76, probably.

Nah, if Ford opts to not run in '76, then that nomination is 100% Reagan's to lose.
MIKESOWELL
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 12:29:48 AM »

He couldn't run again, because he served more than half of Nixon's second term.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 02:21:33 PM »

Constitutionally, he wouldn't be allowed to.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 11:29:06 PM »

Legally no, but if the rule was not in place, I think still probably not
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 05:13:39 AM »

I wish Jerry Ford had run in 1980 against Carter. He probably liked to run, but didn't because he thought Reagan wasn't beatable in the primaries. He would have led the country into a much better direction. With hindsight, Reagan should have been the nominee in 1976 and lose to Carter, with Ford stepping up in 1980 on a "I told you so" message. Then he should have picked Howard Baker as his vice president, and the Bush family would never have been close to the White House.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 01:44:37 PM »

I wish Jerry Ford had run in 1980 against Carter. He probably liked to run, but didn't because he thought Reagan wasn't beatable in the primaries. He would have led the country into a much better direction. With hindsight, Reagan should have been the nominee in 1976 and lose to Carter, with Ford stepping up in 1980 on a "I told you so" message. Then he should have picked Howard Baker as his vice president, and the Bush family would never have been close to the White House.

Reagan original choice for VP was I believe Howard Baker but the collapse in polling of Carter during the summer made it plausible that the Republicans would take over the senate and since Senate Majority Leader is a better position than VP(especially at the time) , Howard Baker said no. David Brinkley mentioned this during the 1980 election night coverage .

Reagan 2nd choice was Ford but Ford asked for too much so he  said no then he went with his third choice which was HW Bush which imo was a fantastic choice. HW was an amazing VP and an amazing President, it was just his son who was terrible

I think if HW gets reelected in 1992 , or Bush's dui is revealed say between Iowa and South Carolina instead of October, McCain is the nominee and then W Bush would never become President
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 03:42:18 PM »

It's a nice hypothetical, but no former President is coming back from a defeat in the primaries as an incumbent, regardless of the message they campaign on.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 10:52:19 PM »

If Rockefeller would have been his Veep, he could have possibly won. Rockefeller would have been the favorite for the R nomination in 1980
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 04:00:09 AM »

If Rockefeller would have been his Veep, he could have possibly won. Rockefeller would have been the favorite for the R nomination in 1980

I agree that Rocky would have delivered at least New York for Gerald Ford and he would have been reelected. It was a dumb idea to drop him and Ford later admitted it. He would not have been the nominee in 1980, obviously, since he died in January 1979. Also, if Ford had won in 1976, 1980 would have been an easy Democratic win since the 1977-81 term was pretty messy at home and abroad. Aside from the fact that Republican presidents were in charge for the previous three terms.

I also think Ronald Reagan could have delivered the 1976 election for Ford as his running mate. The Gipper would have helped in Texas and parts of the South. Even Ohio, which was extremely close. Bob Dole was some sort of compromise between the factions, but they overlooked he was a lackluster vice presidential choice in a year, Ford needed every help he could get.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 02:10:04 PM »

I agree that Rocky would have delivered at least New York for Gerald Ford and he would have been reelected. It was a dumb idea to drop him and Ford later admitted it. He would not have been the nominee in 1980, obviously, since he died in January 1979. Also, if Ford had won in 1976, 1980 would have been an easy Democratic win since the 1977-81 term was pretty messy at home and abroad. Aside from the fact that Republican presidents were in charge for the previous three terms.

I also think Ronald Reagan could have delivered the 1976 election for Ford as his running mate. The Gipper would have helped in Texas and parts of the South. Even Ohio, which was extremely close. Bob Dole was some sort of compromise between the factions, but they overlooked he was a lackluster vice presidential choice in a year, Ford needed every help he could get.

I would agree with both of those scenarios.  Rockefeller would have given Ford NY.  Reagan would have given Carter TX, FL, and MS.  (George Wallace endorsed Carter in the GE and that would have been enough for Carter to carry AL.

My hedge on Reagan is that he MIGHT have caused Ford to lose WA, MM, and POSSIBLY NJ and CT.  NJ was as heavily unionized state, and CT was socially liberal even back then.  At the TOP of the ticket, however, Reagan would have possibly beaten Carter.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 08:18:29 PM »

I could see Virginia going Democratic if Rocky was the VP nominee though given how conservative a state Virginia was then(The Richmon suburbs and even NoVa counties like Loudon were very conservative) and maybe even Oklahoma as Ford barely won those states and I think  picking a liberal Republican would result in him losing those two states to Carter which would result in Carter winning 276-262

Carter/Mondale 276
Ford/Rockefeller 262

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies