Atlas gender demographics poll (gender and LGBT/straight questions) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:53:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Atlas gender demographics poll (gender and LGBT/straight questions) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are you a man or a woman? And do you identify as LGBT or not?
Are you a man or a woman?

(cis) Man

(cis) Woman

Trans man

Trans woman

Other / Prefer not to answer

Do you self-identify as LGBT?

Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 121

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Atlas gender demographics poll (gender and LGBT/straight questions)  (Read 2040 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« on: April 09, 2020, 12:04:08 PM »

If trans women are women, why have separate options for transgenders? Shouldn't a trans women just click "female?" Why separate them?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 12:24:31 PM »

If trans women are women, why have separate options for transgenders? Shouldn't a trans women just click "female?" Why separate them?
My guess is that due to their prevalence on Atlas, trans women are separated from cis women to show what percentage of women on Atlas are trans. Why cis is in parentheses and trans is not is beyond me.

Maybe, but I have seen this before in forms I've filled out for my university.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 12:34:12 PM »

If you sincerely mean that; in the sense that transwomen are women then you're a legend.

I'm not trying to push any particular viewpoint here; I'm just looking for some consistency in the language used to address this issue. Haven't found any yet.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 03:49:23 PM »

If you sincerely mean that; in the sense that transwomen are women then you're a legend.

I'm not trying to push any particular viewpoint here; I'm just looking for some consistency in the language used to address this issue. Haven't found any yet.

I agree with the spirit of what you're trying to say here, however speaking as someone who is *not* Trans, there is a large sect of people (cis and Trans) who believe that Trans should be a separate identity, for vastly different reasons obviously. A lot of cis people believe that Trans men or women are not """real""" men or women. Conversely, I think a lot of Trans people take pride in their identity, which is fine too.

I understand all of this, but the fact that there is disagreement even within the transgender community on something like this makes it very difficult not to offend anyone when discussing this topic. If you don't include "transgender" as an option on a poll like this, people will get mad at you for excluding them. If you do include "transgender" as an option, someone will get mad at you for separating the two categories. I tend to believe that a lot of our disagreements in politics are the result of misunderstanding the language that other people are using, so the vocabulary surrounding transgender issues (which is rife with cultural landmines for anyone trying to discuss them) has always bothered me because it is unnecessarily prone to misunderstandings.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies