Atlas gender demographics poll (gender and LGBT/straight questions)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:07:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Atlas gender demographics poll (gender and LGBT/straight questions)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Are you a man or a woman? And do you identify as LGBT or not?
Are you a man or a woman?

(cis) Man

(cis) Woman

Trans man

Trans woman

Other / Prefer not to answer

Do you self-identify as LGBT?

Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 121

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Atlas gender demographics poll (gender and LGBT/straight questions)  (Read 1998 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 03:39:33 PM »

I'm not Lgbt. Although I was shocked to find out when the mother of my son was bi last year. Kind of threw me in for a loop when I saw her with a woman one night

Is this like a cuck thing or did you separate?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 03:49:23 PM »

If trans women are women, why have separate options for transgenders? Shouldn't a trans women just click "female?" Why separate them?

If you sincerely mean that; in the sense that transwomen are women then you're a legend.

I'm not trying to push any particular viewpoint here; I'm just looking for some consistency in the language used to address this issue. Haven't found any yet.

I agree with the spirit of what you're trying to say here, however speaking as someone who is *not* Trans, there is a large sect of people (cis and Trans) who believe that Trans should be a separate identity, for vastly different reasons obviously. A lot of cis people believe that Trans men or women are not """real""" men or women. Conversely, I think a lot of Trans people take pride in their identity, which is fine too.

I understand all of this, but the fact that there is disagreement even within the transgender community on something like this makes it very difficult not to offend anyone when discussing this topic. If you don't include "transgender" as an option on a poll like this, people will get mad at you for excluding them. If you do include "transgender" as an option, someone will get mad at you for separating the two categories. I tend to believe that a lot of our disagreements in politics are the result of misunderstanding the language that other people are using, so the vocabulary surrounding transgender issues (which is rife with cultural landmines for anyone trying to discuss them) has always bothered me because it is unnecessarily prone to misunderstandings.
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 03:58:44 PM »

Non-binary, and I don't label my sexual orientation.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 04:32:26 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2020, 05:36:39 PM by Jen10 and Coolface's grandma »

Non-binary (?) and bisexual, so yeah
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 04:35:28 PM »

If trans women are women, why have separate options for transgenders? Shouldn't a trans women just click "female?" Why separate them?

If you sincerely mean that; in the sense that transwomen are women then you're a legend.

I'm not trying to push any particular viewpoint here; I'm just looking for some consistency in the language used to address this issue. Haven't found any yet.

I agree with the spirit of what you're trying to say here, however speaking as someone who is *not* Trans, there is a large sect of people (cis and Trans) who believe that Trans should be a separate identity, for vastly different reasons obviously. A lot of cis people believe that Trans men or women are not """real""" men or women. Conversely, I think a lot of Trans people take pride in their identity, which is fine too.

I understand all of this, but the fact that there is disagreement even within the transgender community on something like this makes it very difficult not to offend anyone when discussing this topic. If you don't include "transgender" as an option on a poll like this, people will get mad at you for excluding them. If you do include "transgender" as an option, someone will get mad at you for separating the two categories. I tend to believe that a lot of our disagreements in politics are the result of misunderstanding the language that other people are using, so the vocabulary surrounding transgender issues (which is rife with cultural landmines for anyone trying to discuss them) has always bothered me because it is unnecessarily prone to misunderstandings.

It's worth noting that nobody in this thread is upset about the verbiage in the poll.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2020, 06:07:50 PM »

cis male, and I'm neither straight, gay, bi, nor asexual. I have no known orientation at all.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2020, 06:10:58 PM »

Didn't this forum used to be close to 50% LGBT in some older polls? Or at least in the low 40s? Are we becoming a big fat pile of heteros Sad?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2020, 06:20:30 PM »

Didn't this forum used to be close to 50% LGBT in some older polls? Or at least in the low 40s? Are we becoming a big fat pile of heteros Sad?

Fwiw, I feel like most of the new people who joined in the last year and remained noticable posters (like Dule, Laki, S019 etc) are straight, so it certainly feels like it Tongue

Also, gay cis man (boring)
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2020, 06:21:50 PM »

(cis) man; not LGBT
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2020, 06:23:07 PM »

same
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2020, 06:39:16 PM »

Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2020, 08:28:59 PM »

Fwiw, I feel like most of the new people who joined in the last year and remained noticable posters (like Dule, Laki, S019 etc) are straight, so it certainly feels like it Tongue

I feel personally attacked by this post.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2020, 08:41:19 PM »

We need to recruit more gays to become competitive again.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2020, 11:33:10 PM »

There were some where it was in the 40s, but I don't think it's ever been 50%.  This poll from 2018 had it as high as 46.5% "non-straight": https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=291045.0

But if you go farther back in time to the 2000s, I don't think the LGBT fraction was as high as the 40s back then.  This poll from way back in 2007 has the forum as "only" 60% straight, but some of the non-straight votes are clearly jokes (like "furry" as a sexual orientation):

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=64825.0
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2020, 02:39:59 AM »
« Edited: April 10, 2020, 04:21:22 AM by Parrotguy »

I feel personally attacked by this post.

You're one of the Good Ones
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2020, 05:39:39 AM »

Ignoring the grammatically incorrect use of transgender as a noun, my guess is that due to their prevalence on Atlas, trans women are separated from cis women to show what percentage of women on Atlas are trans. Why cis is in parentheses and trans is not is beyond me.

Yeah this is basically the reason. It is a good "crosstab" to have because of their comparatively high number (just look at how cis and trans women are tied here while irl the former outnumber the latter what, 500 to 1?)

As for cis in parenthesis, no idea why I did that tbh; maybe I should have removed them
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2020, 08:49:22 AM »

I've always been on the thin side, so I categorically reject your weightist assumptions.  Heteros come in all shape and sizes.  Perhaps think of us as a Jenga of heteros.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2020, 09:23:55 AM »

Trans woman, yes. (Bisexual, trans, non-binary)

I was thinking about selecting “other” for the gender question because I'm specifically a demigirl, which isn't exactly the same as a binary trans woman, but I usually tend to avoid talking about this aspect of my identity because it confuses a lot of people. I usually just go by trans female to most people anyways because it's easier to wrap your head around, but I'm specifically that non-binary identity and not necessarily a binary woman.

also, just gonna put it out there, my pronouns are still she/her, i'm not really super comfortable with they/them
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies