German-question
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:54:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  German-question
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Poll
Question: Check what applies to you:
I'm a native German speaker

I studied German and speak it (almost) fluently

I know basic (vacation) German

I'm currently learning it/know only a few words

I want to learn it

Don't speak German (but could imagine learning it)

Don't speak German (and have no intention learning it)

Other (post)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: German-question  (Read 4055 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2020, 07:44:52 AM »

lol:

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2020, 08:24:56 AM »

Which areas of the German-speaking world are reputed to have the most colorful way of speaking?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2020, 11:03:06 AM »

Which areas of the German-speaking world are reputed to have the most colorful way of speaking?

That is in the ears of the beholder ...
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2020, 11:23:28 AM »

is there a stereotypical "comedian dialect" in German?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2020, 12:09:36 PM »

is there a stereotypical "comedian dialect" in German?

No, comedians also use their regional dialects.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2020, 06:05:24 PM »

what is German comedy like in general? Loads of wordplay?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2020, 07:33:02 PM »

I've been trying to be a good boy and avoid asking this question, but does anyone have a final solution to the German question?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2020, 12:34:56 AM »

One of my favourite German comedians are those with a so-called "migrant background".

For example Faisal Kawusi (of Afghan origin + with a certain body mass).

Faisal dances Schwanensee:

Faisal as cheerleader:

Faisal as Instagram-model:

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2020, 05:48:21 AM »

From a German quiz show:

What is the correct answer ?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2020, 05:27:43 PM »

What characteristics of German would you say are the MOST divergent from English?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2020, 10:36:02 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/user/MeisterLehnsherr
This is a good YT channel.
Sozialliberal
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2020, 03:52:57 PM »

Challenge for Germans.

Please try to translate this Pinzgauerisch-German dialect sentence into Standard German:

OK, I'll take up this challenge. But first of all, I'd like to say I'm more familiar with Wienerisch, the Viennese dialect. That's because I listen to music in that dialect. For example, Marianne Mendt is an artist I really like. I think she deserved more recognition, especially here in Germany.

This 1972 song is quite moving. It's a dramatic, bittersweet love song about a woman in an unhappy relationship who still loves that person too much to leave them. As Mendt sings in the chorus: "I'm at home in you, like in a bad dream." You might notice the instrumentation sounds a bit jazzy. Well, that's not a coincidence. Marianne Mendt's big passion is jazz music. She's the founder and artistic director of a yearly jazz festival in Austria, and she also hosts a monthly radio show, in which she plays jazz music. In her career, she often sang pop songs that have little or nothing to do with jazz, but she's a big fan of that genre.

Here's another Marianne Mendt song. This performance is apparently from a TV show in 1971. The song is much calmer than the first one. Some would call it schmaltzy, but I don't agree. It's about a woman who is in love with someone who understands her as well as she understands him. The connection between the two of them is so deep that she doesn't even have to say anything or ask anything because he knows it anyway. Even though this kind of love might seem old-fashioned to other people, she'd like to grow older with him. She knows that she is his and he will forever be "der Meinige" (the one who is mine).

Some context, so it won’t be that hard ...

A father talking with his older daughter:

„Kust ma heit tschnochts bittsche as Buzzaö kinzn, I muas no huseg wos hoön foon.“

I have already given one hint on this thread: Buzzaö (baby, infant)

Now back to your question: It's helpful that you've explained the meaning of "Buzzaö" because I've never heard or read that word before.

My translation attempt:
„Kust ma heit tschnochts bittsche as Buzzaö kinzn, I muas no huseg wos hoön foon.“ -> „Kannst du heute Nacht bitte auf das Baby aufpassen? Ich muss noch etwas holen fahren.“ -> "Can you please look after the baby tonight? I have to drive out and get something."
(I have no clue what "huseg" means, though.)

what are the funniest cases of false friends in German and English?

When we were learning English as kids, we laughed when we learned that the room where you prepare food is called "kitchen" in English. In German, "Kittchen" (pronounced slightly differently) is a colloquialism for prison.

Wordplay is an important part of German comedy, but I've always had the impression it's more popular in Britain. Brits love their puns.

Since this is a political forum, I thought I'm gonna share some political comedy with you. "Extra 3" is not the most popular political comedy show on German TV, but it's the only one I like. Because of the restrictions due to the coronavirus, the more recent episodes are not as good, though. One of the best segments on the show are the fake interviews. Christian Ehring, the show's host, "interviews" a politician, who is played by Max Giermann, a very talented impersonator. Most of those fake interviews are with German politicians, but they also did some with Donald Trump. I think they made an exception for Trump because he's such a tempting target. This video is from January 2017, when Trump assumed office.

Even if you don't speak German, you should get the humor in this sketch because it's bilingual. Kirstin Warnke, an Extra 3 cast member, is introduced to the audience as "the only German-born member in Trump's team". Warnke is interpreting for Trump. At first, she's deliberately mistranslating what Trump is saying to make him more likeable to the German audience. During the interview, she's getting more and more annoyed with Trump. At the end, she translates Trump's answers as "blah blah blah".

Some jokes that you wouldn't understand if you don't speak German:
When Ehring asks how it's possible that "10 billions" are at Trump's side, Warnke says: "Oh, it mounts up. His Secretary of Treasury has three billions, his Secretary of Commerce has five billions and his Secretary of Education has six billions."
When Trump says he will create millions of new jobs, Ehring asks how that is supposed to work. Warnke answers: "I guess he simply included his blowjobs in that calculation."

I've been trying to be a good boy and avoid asking this question, but does anyone have a final solution to the German question?

I don't know. The current state of affairs is that more and more people in the east and the west are wondering if the reunification was such a good idea after all. Maybe, there will be two Germanys again soon. Wink

From a German quiz show:

What is the correct answer ?

B, of course! It was in the German media, too. Van der Bellen also said he would be looking for a job tomorrow. Wink

What characteristics of German would you say are the MOST divergent from English?

A big difference is that English has a much larger share of loanwords.

Some examples:

English: important (borrowed from medieval Latin)
German: wichtig (derived from "Gewicht", the German word for weight)

English: beautiful ("beauty" was borrowed from Old French)
German: schön (related to the German word "schauen", which means "to look")

English: to invite (borrowed from Old French or Latin)
German: einladen

English: to promise (borrowed from Latin)
German: versprechen

English: the dictionary (of words) (borrowed from Latin)
German: das Wörterbuch (literally: "the book of words")

English: the vacuum cleaner ("vacuum" was borrowed from Latin)
German: der Staubsauger (literally: "the dust sucker")
(I remember an interview with a British actor who's living and working in Germany. He said "Staubsauger" (dust sucker), the German word for vacuum cleaner, is one of his favorite German words. That name seemed very apt to him because it's exactly what this gadget does: It sucks dust.)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2020, 01:29:25 AM »

Inspired by Biden's running gal thread.

Me: native German speaker.

You actually forgot one option in the poll: The Belgians and the Dutch learn German by watching TV (and in the past by listening to the radio).
And what about the "German"-speaking Swiss? They speak a different dialect which is completely unintelligible to Germans, but they learn genuine German at school. Should they opt for the second answer?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2020, 01:45:40 AM »

Definitely der Streetworker, das Public Viewing, das Gymnasium, der Smoking, das Gift, der Mist, der Beamer and wanken.

The most famous faux amis, however, are probably das Handy, das Mobbing, die Billion (and higher numbers) and bekommen.

Seen from the other perspective, Rathaus seems to be a funny word to Anglophones.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2020, 01:51:48 AM »

I'd be disappointed if it wasn't that Austrian village whose name is spelled the same way as an English profanity.

Oh yes. That one, and there is a town of 32,000 inhabitants in Schleswig-Holstein called Itzehoe.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2020, 02:06:20 AM »

One thing I find funny is that Lied means is a noun, song, in German but in English it is the past tense of the verb lie. This generates irony when you consider the fact that, well, songs can lie, or distort.

The Salafists used a slogan for a Quran distribution campaign in Germany, which had better not been used for an international campaign...

Lies! is the imperative of the verb lesen (=to read).
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2020, 02:17:01 AM »

One thing I find funny is that Lied means is a noun, song, in German but in English it is the past tense of the verb lie. This generates irony when you consider the fact that, well, songs can lie, or distort.

The Salafists used a slogan for a meanwhile prohibited Quran distribution campaign in Germany some years ago, which had better not been used for an international campaign...

Lies! is the imperative of the verb lesen (=to read).

Here is a video about the translation of German sayings, which is pretty funny as it is pretty strange to watch three buff American football dudes translate German sayings into English. One of them is the Oregonian guy with the Texan accent. (Thank you, muon2! Wink )
ENJOY YOUR LIFE IN FULL TRAINS!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies