ASOIAF Game
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:42:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  ASOIAF Game
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ASOIAF Game  (Read 851 times)
leonardothered
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2020, 02:49:37 PM »
« edited: April 07, 2020, 02:55:14 PM by leonardothered »

I dunno how we're not pitching these like crazy during quarantine. I'm waiting on covid test results so I'm just about as stir crazy as could be.

So whatcha got? Who's got ideas?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 11:57:29 PM »

For reference we've done:

Diplomacraft: The North (Before the Doom)
Century of Blood (Pre-Targaryen Conquest)
The Dance of the Dragons (Dance of the Dragons)
After the False Spring (Pre-Robert's Rebellion)
The Death of Kings (Alt-Battle of the Trident)
Lord of the Crossing (Before the War of the Five Kings)
The Iron Throne (Alt-aftermath of Robert Baratheon's death)
Clash of Kings (War of the Five Kings)
The Lion and the Rose (Alt-Purple Wedding)
A Feast for Crows (A Feast for Crows/A Dance with Dragons)

So what hasn't been tried would be the Targaryen Conquest itself, Maegor the Cruel/Faith Militant, the Rogue Prince stuff, the Conquest of Dorne, the whole Blackyfre saga, the Duskendale period, a direct version of Robert's Rebellion, and... the Season 7-8 stuff? (*shudders*)

Not that any of those don't offer opportunities, but I do wonder if any future ASOIAF game would benefit from another stab at alternate history.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 11:47:12 AM »

For reference we've done:

Diplomacraft: The North (Before the Doom)
Century of Blood (Pre-Targaryen Conquest)
The Dance of the Dragons (Dance of the Dragons)
After the False Spring (Pre-Robert's Rebellion)
The Death of Kings (Alt-Battle of the Trident)
Lord of the Crossing (Before the War of the Five Kings)
The Iron Throne (Alt-aftermath of Robert Baratheon's death)
Clash of Kings (War of the Five Kings)
The Lion and the Rose (Alt-Purple Wedding)
A Feast for Crows (A Feast for Crows/A Dance with Dragons)

So what hasn't been tried would be the Targaryen Conquest itself, Maegor the Cruel/Faith Militant, the Rogue Prince stuff, the Conquest of Dorne, the whole Blackyfre saga, the Duskendale period, a direct version of Robert's Rebellion, and... the Season 7-8 stuff? (*shudders*)

Not that any of those don't offer opportunities, but I do wonder if any future ASOIAF game would benefit from another stab at alternate history.

I would like to put forward the Blackfyre period, specifically the first Blackfyre rebellion which is probably one of the most interesting scenario left unplayed.
King Saul
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 02:14:30 PM »

Blackfyre Rebellion is a nice setting for a ASOIAF game.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 05:20:13 PM »

War of the five kings with a different scenario with me playing Willos Tyrell.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 09:35:09 AM »

I think its worth considering general knowledge of the scenario when considering starting a new game. Diplomacraft and Century of Blood were easily the most ambitious and (thinking of Diplomacraft here) creative of the ASOIAF games we've had. However, both involve times and characters that we don't know very much about. I think both games (as well as some non-ASOIAF games like Alea Iacta Est) suffered from being too far outside the player's knowledge of the characters they were supposed to be interacting with.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 02:06:45 PM »

I’d be interesting in playing or hosting, if others would prefer to play. 
King Saul
Rookie
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 03:10:06 PM »

I agree that a better known scenario of the present of ASOIAF like the War of the Five Kings is more easier and have more general knowledge and it has been a long time since I played an ASOIAF game in a scenario of this war, I just suggest that it would be interesting for some element of alternative history in this , I remember that someone had a concept for a game in which Stannis won the Battle of Blackwater and could be an interesting scenario to explore.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 11:22:24 PM »

We should just do war of the five kings. Problem with Stannis winning the Blackwater is the Lannister cause is kind of axed. Stannis will just execute Cersei and Joff, and the Tyrells arent going to back Tommen when they don't even hold the throne, not to mention its a lot more likely Stannis gets him first than Tywin. LF or Varys gives him up for their own head.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 11:45:33 PM »

Bears reminding the last time we did the War of the Five Kings was in 2017 (how time flies!), so there's certainly enough time distance (and it was an alt-history scenario too). Might not be a bad idea after all, though whoever is GM may have to play around with the show/book canon.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 12:06:07 AM »

I did consider doing one where Jon Snow's true parentage is discovered.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 12:18:04 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2020, 12:23:26 AM by Dereich »

If you want to do an alternate WOT5K, maybe a divergence of killing off Joffrey early would work. One thing I've noticed consistently is that very few players ever want to do anything that helps Joffrey on the IT. Probably because we all know much more about him than would the IRL lords of Westeros. I think the best and only "successful" Joffrey game involved him nuking King's Landing on turn 2 or 3. A WOT5K scenario with King Tommen from the start might change the dynamics somewhat.

I did consider doing one where Jon Snow's true parentage is discovered.

I think that one would require either a super early or a much later start. At the start of the WOT5K, no lords of any significance would have been interested in Targaryen restoration. It might create an interesting dynamic if Robert and Ned were still alive, causing tension between them. If the goal is to make Jon a legitimate contender rather than a weak target, I think the war needs to have already gone on long enough that a savior (like Jon or Faegon) can come sweeping in.
King Saul
Rookie
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 12:26:37 AM »

If you want to do an alternate WOT5K, maybe a divergence of killing off Joffrey early would work. One thing I've noticed consistently is that very few players ever want to do anything that helps Joffrey on the IT. Probably because we all know much more about him than would the IRL lords of Westeros. I think the best and only "successful" Joffrey game involved him nuking King's Landing on turn 2 or 3. A WOT5K scenario with King Tommen from the start might change the dynamics somewhat.

It would be interesting, could he be pushed from the walls of Reed Keep by Sansa perhaps ? , of course Cersei would execute Sansa because of that but maybe it would make everything more interesting, with that said I wouldn't mind if it is done a game that follows the canon until the beginning of the War of the 5 Kings, I would play in any of the options.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 04:16:13 AM »

There's a great YouTube channel that does Thrones what-ifs if people are stumped for scenarios: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA4WFGBMDvToByexOyYhWLwKVAtV51pyx
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 10:05:57 AM »

With respect to Leonardo, I’d like to begin planning an ASOIF game to begin soon. Probably the War of Five Kings scenario.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 10:21:11 AM »

With respect to Leonardo, I’d like to begin planning an ASOIF game to begin soon. Probably the War of Five Kings scenario.

Depending on what point you begin the WOTFK scenario I would probably play as Renly, but if he is already dead then Tywin, or maybe even someone like Kevan.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies