Cardinal Pell Acquitted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:26:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Cardinal Pell Acquitted
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cardinal Pell Acquitted  (Read 742 times)
Small L
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2020, 08:28:42 PM »
« edited: April 06, 2020, 08:40:08 PM by Small L »

NPR (will update)

CNN (More detailed)

Link to the Judgment
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 08:32:38 PM »

Incredibly disappointing. One can only imagine what his victims are feeling right now.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 08:41:53 PM »

What a farce of justice. Anyone defending the Catholic Church or the law systems across the globe that give an easy pass to those aligned with the elite are purely aiding the continuation of this abuse in this day and age.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 08:54:46 PM »

If there is reasonable doubt as to his guilt, he should not be found guilty and imprisoned.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 08:59:10 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2020, 09:11:40 PM by Miliband: The Art of the Comeback »

My understanding is that there was a lot of prosecutorial misconduct during his trial(s), separate from the question of whether or not he did it?

Not that that excuses an appeals court telling a jury that it "ought to have" found reasonable doubt. wtf. What's the point of even having trial by jury if a bunch of old judges can make a determination like that for a powerful defendant?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 09:09:25 PM »

I have no idea if he did what he is accused of, but his trial was a sham with extremely flimsy evidence which did not merit his conviction.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 10:05:14 PM »

Incredibly disappointing. One can only imagine what his victims are feeling right now.

This.

The obvious solution if the earlier trial was mishandled would have been to void it and hold a new one. I understand that the prosecutorial team has apparently f**ked up multiple times already, but that's no excuse not to have him answer for his crimes.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 10:24:25 PM »

This.

The obvious solution if the earlier trial was mishandled would have been to void it and hold a new one. I understand that the prosecutorial team has apparently f**ked up multiple times already, but that's no excuse not to have him answer for his crimes.

Worth noting that, in their judgement of the case, they never deemed Pell to be fully innocent nor did they dismiss the victim's evidence as not credible, which makes it even more confusing as to why they didn't come to the conclusion of a retrial over quashing it completely. The narrative will be that he's innocent, but as far as the documentation of their decision goes, it's a cloud that still hangs over him.

Or perhaps there just wasn't any legal value in a retrial? For, barring any new evidence, it seems a retrial could only reestablish - at worst for Pell; at best for those that want him jailed - the complainant as plausible & the "opportunity" evidence as having no weight.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 10:52:03 PM »

This.

Worth noting that, in their judgement of the case, they never deemed Pell to be fully innocent nor did they dismiss the victim's evidence as not credible, which makes it even more confusing as to why they didn't come to the conclusion of a retrial over quashing it completely. The narrative will be that he's innocent, but as far as the documentation of their decision goes, it's a cloud that still hangs over him.

Or perhaps there just wasn't any legal value in a retrial? For, barring any new evidence, it seems a retrial could only reestablish - at worst for Pell; at best for those that want him jailed - the complainant as plausible & the "opportunity" evidence as having no weight.

From everything I've read it looks like it's basically the alleged victim's word against Pell's without much else in the way of evidence. I don't know enough about the Australian legal system to say for sure, but it seems like it's bound to be a not guilty result since there's not much proof either way.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 11:03:08 PM »

This.

From everything I've read it looks like it's basically the alleged victim's word against Pell's without much else in the way of evidence. I don't know enough about the Australian legal system to say for sure, but it seems like it's bound to be a not guilty result since there's not much proof either way.

Well, there was indeed evidence other than the witness testimony, such as Pell's itinerary, etc., but it evidently wasn't enough in the eyes of the High Court to secure (or, rather, uphold) a conviction beyond a reasonable doubt.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 12:59:08 AM »

This must be the first time a priest has been thankful that people have reasonable doubts.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 02:02:56 AM »

This must be the first time a priest has been thankful that people have reasonable doubts.

...okay, I chuckled.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 02:08:56 AM »

Ugh.

Don't read Catholic Twitter.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 02:29:47 AM »

Always good advice regardless of what's going on in the news.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 10:39:47 PM »

One thing that's worth meditating on in this context is the extent to which abuse accusations have, almost as a matter of course, become political footballs within the Church. You determine whether a prelate is "liberal" or "conservative" and form your opinion from there. I myself--and I say this by way of a very strong self-criticism--have at various points "wanted" Pell to be guilty because I already thought he was an evil son of a bitch for unrelated, fundamentally political reasons. Conversely, there are a lot of thinkpieces coming out of the EWTN/CNA/Register orbit treating him as if he's been shown to be a living saint, rather than just somebody who happens to have had a dodgy criminal conviction overturned; some of these thinkpieces come from people who immediately sided with Archbishop Viganò in 2018. Whatever our thoughts on any of these people, I think we can all agree that this is a deeply dismaying cultural and psychic process that's unfolding.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 04:22:14 AM »

One thing that's worth meditating on in this context is the extent to which abuse accusations have, almost as a matter of course, become political footballs within the Church. You determine whether a prelate is "liberal" or "conservative" and form your opinion from there. I myself--and I say this by way of a very strong self-criticism--have at various points "wanted" Pell to be guilty because I already thought he was an evil son of a bitch for unrelated, fundamentally political reasons. Conversely, there are a lot of thinkpieces coming out of the EWTN/CNA/Register orbit treating him as if he's been shown to be a living saint, rather than just somebody who happens to have had a dodgy criminal conviction overturned; some of these thinkpieces come from people who immediately sided with Archbishop Vigaṇ in 2018. Whatever our thoughts on any of these people, I think we can all agree that this is a deeply dismaying cultural and psychic process that's unfolding.

It's worth remembering that Pell's own lawyer effectively downplayed the severity of the acts during his trial rather than dismiss them as fabrications. And in Scotland Alex Salmond was found not guilty of 11 (and not proven in 1) counts against him by the jury despite it being alleged his own lawyer was not convinced of his innocence.

Sex abuse cases are being politicised by not just people but by institutions. And this is a really effective tactic because as a subset of offences they are really really difficult to prove evidentially in criminal courts. Which then feeds back into the belief that they are being 'fabricated' or the victims are liars. Being a child but having an adult recollection unfortunately hobbles a lot of cases. Pell's accusers are apparently pursuing it in the civil court. From my own previous experience in my line of work we could provide compensation through the civil route often when cases failed, or could not proceed to trial.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 05:39:24 AM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-52569092

'Cardinal George Pell knew of child sexual abuse by priests in Australia as early as the 1970s but failed to take action, a landmark inquiry found.

The findings on Cardinal Pell - an ex-Vatican treasurer - come from Australia's royal commission into child sexual abuse, which ended in 2017.

Details were only revealed on Thursday. A court had previously redacted the report because the cleric was facing child abuse charges at the time.

The cardinal has denied the findings.'
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 04:46:36 PM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-52569092

'Cardinal George Pell knew of child sexual abuse by priests in Australia as early as the 1970s but failed to take action, a landmark inquiry found.

The findings on Cardinal Pell - an ex-Vatican treasurer - come from Australia's royal commission into child sexual abuse, which ended in 2017.

Details were only revealed on Thursday. A court had previously redacted the report because the cleric was facing child abuse charges at the time.

The cardinal has denied the findings.'

CNA's coverage of this is something to behold. They're spinning it so that the rap falls on the current Archbishop of Melbourne, Peter Comensoli, likely because--as an acquaintance of mine remarked on Facebook--Comensoli, unlike Pell, is honest (or stupid) enough to admit he's made mistakes. Despite the fact that Comensoli has been in office for less than two years.

This whole Pell saga (even independent of the question of whether he should have been convicted of child rape or not) is such a regression to the "ABUSE CRISIS IS AN ANTI-CATHOLIC WITCH HUNT, MUH LAST ACCEPTABLE BIGOTRY" Bill Donohue days of the 2000s and early 2010s, before the brief period in which "liberal" figures like McCarrick and Wuerl being implicated gave that faction within the Church reason to temporarily pretend to care about victims.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies