Bergen vs. Nassau vs. Westchester
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:41:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Bergen vs. Nassau vs. Westchester
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which county is the "odd man out"?
Bergen

Nassau

Westchester

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Bergen vs. Nassau vs. Westchester  (Read 1636 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2020, 03:49:18 PM »

Of these three NYC suburban counties, which is the "odd man out"?

One obvious for Bergen being "different" is that it's in NJ

Westchester developed earlier and is more "old money"/"establishment"

Westchester and Bergen both have urbanized, more densely populated southern half and more exurban north half, while Nassau is both less urban and less "exurban"

Nassau is probably more old time "New Yawk"-ish in demographics while Westchester and Bergen likely attract more Manhattanites seeking a more suburban life and more transplants to the NYC area

AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 09:30:05 PM »

In terms of politics Westchester because it delivers the strongest margins to the Democrats. Overall, I would say Nassau because it is mostly just suburban sprawl while Westchester and Bergen have some urban areas.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 10:24:15 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2020, 10:32:15 PM by Tintrlvr »

One key difference is that Bergen doesn't have good public transit into Manhattan. NJ Transit does have some trains in the west of the county (the east of the county, closer to the city, is entirely without train service), but someone commuting into Manhattan then has to change trains at Secaucus. That definitely affects the type of people who move to Bergen as compared to Westchester (especially) and Nassau (to a lesser extent). The people who like to commute by train and move to NJ mostly move elsewhere, such as the wealthy towns in the west of Essex/east of Morris or to Union or Middlesex.

Westchester is definitely the home of "old money" as noted. And its wealthy voters are more Democratic (or at least less Republican), which may be related to being "old money". What makes Westchester more Democratic is hard to express, but there is a certain je ne sais quoi about Westchester that makes its wealthy voters different. If you grew up in the New York area, you just know what that is in your bones.

Long Island is basically more New Jersey, just like Staten Island, at least until you get so far out that you're starting to get to the second homes (about halfway across Suffolk -- the key divider is the Ronkonkoma LIRR station, which is the last station that has frequent commuter service into NYC), so Nassau and Bergen really aren't that different, culturally.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 11:49:28 PM »

Of these three NYC suburban counties, which is the "odd man out"?

One obvious for Bergen being "different" is that it's in NJ

Westchester developed earlier and is more "old money"/"establishment"

Westchester and Bergen both have urbanized, more densely populated southern half and more exurban north half, while Nassau is both less urban and less "exurban"

Nassau is probably more old time "New Yawk"-ish in demographics while Westchester and Bergen likely attract more Manhattanites seeking a more suburban life and more transplants to the NYC area

Both Nassau and Westchester have lost areas to NYC.

The Bronx was formed from the southern part of Westchester (that is why the former town of Westchester is in NYC). Queens shed its eastern part when it was incorporated into NYC.

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 11:54:25 PM »

Nassau, probably, living in the Tri State Area, I just think Bergen and Westchester are more associated with being New York City suburbs, also politically both counties are reliably Democratic, while Nassau is swingy
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 10:46:54 AM »
« Edited: April 06, 2020, 11:03:10 AM by King of Kensington »

Both Nassau and Westchester have lost areas to NYC.

The Bronx was formed from the southern part of Westchester (that is why the former town of Westchester is in NYC). Queens shed its eastern part when it was incorporated into NYC.

Obviously state borders mattered.  Hudson County is often thought of as "the sixth borough."
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 10:46:53 PM »

Demographically, Westchester is the least white, with its Hispanic and especially Black populations concentrated in the cities. 

Nassau has the most Blacks living in suburban settings I suspect though.

Bergen is the most Asian, due to the very large Korean population.  Nassau I believe has the most Indians and Chinese, and I suspect its proximity to Queens means it's likely to grow signficantly.  Few Asians in Westchester or northern NY suburbs.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 12:40:26 AM »

Demographically, Westchester is the least white, with its Hispanic and especially Black populations concentrated in the cities. 

Nassau has the most Blacks living in suburban settings I suspect though.

Bergen is the most Asian, due to the very large Korean population.  Nassau I believe has the most Indians and Chinese, and I suspect its proximity to Queens means it's likely to grow signficantly.  Few Asians in Westchester or northern NY suburbs.

What about Filipinos? I'm guessing they would also be less common in Westchester than Nassau or Bergen, but I'm not very familiar with the Tri-State Area.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies