Why is Madison County, AL growing so fast?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:33:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Why is Madison County, AL growing so fast?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is Madison County, AL growing so fast?  (Read 645 times)
walleye26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2020, 04:06:21 PM »

Madison County has grown over 11% this decade, after growing 21% between 2000-10. Is this related to the Huntsville space industry? Also, can anybody confirm if a lot of non-white voters are moving here? It looks like in 2000 it was 72% white and in 2010 it was 65.9% white, but I don’t know if this is continuing.
What type of people are moving here? Educated (by Southern standards)? Retirees? Evangelicals? And what industries are driving this growth?
cvparty
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 04:58:31 PM »

military and NASA
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 05:30:36 PM »

Yes, a lot of it has to do Aerospace and the Cummings Research Park. From I have heard they have been a lot of new tech jobs created over there as well. 

As far as the people moving there I'm not sure. I think its most people from Alabama and other metros in the south. But like Chicago is to the midwest Atlanta is to the south. Any minorities or liberal-minded whites will be more geared to moving to Atlanta. Which means demographics skew more white and more conservative.
walleye26

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 08:30:34 PM »

I was looking for information and I found some census data that shows 39% of Madison county adults have a bachelor’s degree. That’s gotta be one of Alabama’s highest.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 12:20:19 AM »

There might be some metropolitan corridor agglomeration effects happening here too. The triangle from Nashville to Birmingham to Atlanta is surprisingly built up, and this is right in the middle of it all.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 12:28:29 AM »

Educated (by Southern national, or hell even Connecticut or Maryland standards)?

FTFY
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 12:42:28 AM »

As far as the people moving there I'm not sure. I think its most people from Alabama and other metros in the south.

It actually looks like Madison County gets a lot of high-income in-migration from Southern California, Colorado, DC suburbs, and Florida.  Link.

But like Chicago is to the midwest Atlanta is to the south. Any minorities or liberal-minded whites will be more geared to moving to Atlanta. Which means demographics skew more white and more conservative.

This is a function of the MSA's industry-mix.  HSV's aerospace and tech industries attract a lot of White, male engineers (i.e., conservatives) while cities like Atlanta and Nashville are more dominated by industries like marketing, entertainment, and public interest/non-profit (which are going to attract more diverse pools of workers).
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 12:56:17 AM »

As far as the people moving there I'm not sure. I think its most people from Alabama and other metros in the south.

It actually looks like Madison County gets a lot of high-income in-migration from Southern California, Colorado, DC suburbs, and Florida.  Link.

But like Chicago is to the midwest Atlanta is to the south. Any minorities or liberal-minded whites will be more geared to moving to Atlanta. Which means demographics skew more white and more conservative.

This is a function of the MSA's industry-mix.  HSV's aerospace and tech industries attract a lot of White, male engineers (i.e., conservatives) while cities like Atlanta and Nashville are more dominated by industries like marketing, entertainment, and public interest/non-profit (which are going to attract more diverse pools of workers).

Are you actually going to argue that tech bros vote Republican?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 12:57:08 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2020, 01:08:04 AM by Del Tachi »

Quote from:  link=topic=368004.msg7279163#msg7279163 date=1586238977 uid=16104

Aerospace engineers living in Huntsville, AL are mostly Republicans, yes

Note that military-types are over-represented in aerospace compared to other fields of engineering, and all the places I mentioned as having significant out-migration to HSV are khaki country.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 06:58:26 AM »

Also, in the South tech/science areas aren't automatically Dem. Look at Oak Ridge, TN (Anderson County) for another example.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 07:00:20 AM »

Also, in the South tech/science areas aren't automatically Dem. Look at Oak Ridge, TN (Anderson County) for another example.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 07:53:34 AM »

Tech =\= Engineering. Most engineers I know are more conservative than programmers or data scientists.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 10:49:55 PM »

My prediction- Madison will vote D in the next democratic landslide.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 11:28:57 PM »

Tech =\= Engineering. Most engineers I know are more conservative than programmers or data scientists.

Agreed. STEM politics varies wildly by field. Compare, for example, Petroleum Engineers with Comp Sci.
clever but short
andy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2020, 02:38:25 PM »

Note that military-types are over-represented in aerospace compared to other fields of engineering, and all the places I mentioned as having significant out-migration to HSV are khaki country.

I think it's also worth noting that Madison County has trended somewhat more Democratic recently. I would surmise that this demographic, especially the younger end of it, is becoming swingier. There are other places further west that I think have some similar types of industries, such as Boise, Oklahoma City, and Wichita, and it's noteworthy to see the voting trends.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies