NY-GOV: Who is the next Governor of New York? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:00:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-GOV: Who is the next Governor of New York? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY-GOV: Who is the next Governor of New York?  (Read 6556 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« on: April 06, 2020, 01:55:51 PM »

Kathy Hochul Purple heart

At least I wish it's going to be her. She's smart, pragmatic, likeable and experienced at the county, state and federal level as well as private sector. Furthermore, she's from Upstate New York and could improve Democratic margins here. Since it appears she and Cuomo have a very good relationship, it's likely he will keep her on the ticket beyond the 2022 election if he runs for a fourth term and she wants it. In 2026, she isn't less likely than Tish James to run. They're the same age, but Hochul has more experience in state government. And we shouldn't count out the possibility of Cuomo getting an offer from President-elect Joe Biden to join his team as Chief of Staff or Attorney General by the end of this year. After a decade, Cuomo could resign then at the peak of his popularity in the post-pandemic era and turn the chair over to her to become the first female governor of New York. That's what I'm hoping for.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 02:24:23 PM »

Kathy Hochul Purple heart

At least I wish it's going to be her. She's smart, pragmatic, likeable and experienced at the county, state and federal level as well as private sector. Furthermore, she's from Upstate New York and could improve Democratic margins here. Since it appears she and Cuomo have a very good relationship, it's likely he will keep her on the ticket beyond the 2022 election if he runs for a fourth term and she wants it. In 2026, she isn't less likely than Tish James to run. They're the same age, but Hochul has more experience in state government. And we shouldn't count out the possibility of Cuomo getting an offer from President-elect Joe Biden to join his team as Chief of Staff or Attorney General by the end of this year. After a decade, Cuomo could resign then at the peak of his popularity in the post-pandemic era and turn the chair over to her to become the first female governor of New York. That's what I'm hoping for.

Even if he wants to keep her on the ticket, she has to survive the primary for Lt. Gov. first. Her performance in 2018 was pretty underwhelming for an incumbent.

It was decent considering her opponent came from New York City and had strong minority support Cynthia Nixon did not have in her bid against Cuomo. Meanwhile, she swept Upstate by big margins. Hopefully all statewide elected officials of New York including Tish James (the best group in the country) can run unopposed without a left-wing challenge next time. Cuomo is a pretty liberal governor who has a more progressive record than a lot of other Democratic governors.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 04:28:29 AM »

New York has no term limits, which is okay, you can run how long if you are doing a good job

Pataki would have probably lost in 2006, Spitzer would have probably lost in 2010.

Had he not been in a Prostitution scandal, Spitzer would have been re-elected in 2010.

Probably, but his approvals by late 2007 was at 30% or something. So he was unpopular even before the scandal broke. I wonder whether David Paterson would have won the primary and general if he stayed in the race in 2010.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 12:51:35 PM »

This thread isn't about the next Democratic governor of Florida.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 01:24:09 PM »

Lmao at Stefanik having a shot at the governor's villa. She's a fake moderate who has done Trump's bidding over the past years. The New York governorship is gone for Republicans for the next cycles. Andrew Cuomo will once again destroy anyone they put up against him in 2022. In 2014 and 2018, there wasn't even a Republican primary since none but one candidate wanted to run. Even in California, there were at least two competing for general election spot.

If Cuomo joins a Biden Administration (which I'm hoping for) or is elected president, I feel confident Kathy Hochul would improve in Upstate New York. She's from Buffalo and did pretty well there in the primary. It seems a reason for Cuomo underperforming Gillibrand and Schumer in Upstate are gun rights. Hochul has been moderate on guns. If she ran in her own right, she'd probably crack 60% in a statewide election against a generic Republican.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 05:17:12 PM »

Lmao... Cuomo is not losing to a Republican. Not even in a disastrous midterm for Democrats, which is not guaranteed either. I could see more of a neutral one, similar to 1998.

Anyway, I want Kathy Hochul and him to go to Washington serving under President Biden. I think she would do better in Upstate New York than Cuomo did in 2014 and 2018.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 03:47:47 PM »

I hope Cuomo gets a position in the Biden administration.

Because you want him there or to get him out Albany?

I certainly would like both.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies