NY-GOV: Who is the next Governor of New York?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:25:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-GOV: Who is the next Governor of New York?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: NY-GOV: Who is the next Governor of New York?  (Read 6531 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2020, 08:46:26 AM »

Cuomo for life?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 09:01:26 AM »

Letitia James? AG has proven to be a stepping stone for many govs across the country.

I can tell you who won't be gov: DeBlasio.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 09:05:46 AM »

Letitia James? AG has proven to be a stepping stone for many govs across the country.

True. I wonder why lieutenant governors don't make it far...
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 09:16:36 AM »

Can you see Cuomo there until 2030?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 09:20:04 AM »

True. I wonder why lieutenant governors don't make it far...

Gavin Newsom, Tate Reevers, Brad Little, Mike Parson, Kay Ivey, Henry McMaster, Ralph Northam, John Carney and Eric Holcomb are govs who were lt. govs at some point and were elected or have succeeded and won an election. Otherwise, lt govs are often powerless with no actual influence of policies. AGs have more opportunities to implement stuff. TX lt gov. is more powerful, but since the state has no term limit, govs stay in office for a long time. Last time NY has elected an lt gov was in 1982 Mario Cuomo. It has elected lt govs before, like Herbert Lehman (and probably more).

Even at the federal levels, just few VPs have become prez without succeeding to office during an ongoing term. Before WWII, VPs were powerless and not considered big names in their party. Those who sought the top job often had little success in even winning their party's nomination. Later on, VPs became more influential and won the nomination, but lost the election trying to succeed a 2 term prez from their party (which has become difficult). Nixon, Humphrey and Gore all lost, only HW was successful. Nixon only later won, Mondale lost as former VP. Biden remains to be seen; he could join Nixon in the very exclusive club of former VPs elected to be prez.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 09:23:37 AM »

With how unpredictable and stupid things are, it will probably be either Andrew Yang or Joey Salads
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 11:00:07 AM »

Cuomo imo retires in either 2022 or 2026, I don't see him staying on past 2026. As of right now I think he runs for a 4th term, gets reelected and then retires in 2026.

No idea on who would replace him though.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 12:07:23 PM »

I think he might just be governor for life. New York loves him now anyway.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 12:21:45 PM »

New York has no term limits, which is okay, you can run how long if you are doing a good job

Pataki would have probably lost in 2006, Spitzer would have probably lost in 2010.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 01:08:00 PM »

Cuomo is obviously running again in 2022 - he wants that 4th term for the family.

Otherwise, yeah, probably Tish James come 2026.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 01:55:51 PM »

Kathy Hochul Purple heart

At least I wish it's going to be her. She's smart, pragmatic, likeable and experienced at the county, state and federal level as well as private sector. Furthermore, she's from Upstate New York and could improve Democratic margins here. Since it appears she and Cuomo have a very good relationship, it's likely he will keep her on the ticket beyond the 2022 election if he runs for a fourth term and she wants it. In 2026, she isn't less likely than Tish James to run. They're the same age, but Hochul has more experience in state government. And we shouldn't count out the possibility of Cuomo getting an offer from President-elect Joe Biden to join his team as Chief of Staff or Attorney General by the end of this year. After a decade, Cuomo could resign then at the peak of his popularity in the post-pandemic era and turn the chair over to her to become the first female governor of New York. That's what I'm hoping for.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 02:14:17 PM »

At least I wish it's going to be her. She's smart, pragmatic, likeable and experienced at the county, state and federal level as well as private sector. Furthermore, she's from Upstate New York and could improve Democratic margins here. Since it appears she and Cuomo have a very good relationship, it's likely he will keep her on the ticket beyond the 2022 election if he runs for a fourth term and she wants it. In 2026, she isn't less likely than Tish James to run. They're the same age, but Hochul has more experience in state government. And we shouldn't count out the possibility of Cuomo getting an offer from President-elect Joe Biden to join his team as Chief of Staff or Attorney General by the end of this year. After a decade, Cuomo could resign then at the peak of his popularity in the post-pandemic era and turn the chair over to her to become the first female governor of New York. That's what I'm hoping for.

Even if he wants to keep her on the ticket, she has to survive the primary for Lt. Gov. first. Her performance in 2018 was pretty underwhelming for an incumbent.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 02:24:23 PM »

Even if he wants to keep her on the ticket, she has to survive the primary for Lt. Gov. first. Her performance in 2018 was pretty underwhelming for an incumbent.

It was decent considering her opponent came from New York City and had strong minority support Cynthia Nixon did not have in her bid against Cuomo. Meanwhile, she swept Upstate by big margins. Hopefully all statewide elected officials of New York including Tish James (the best group in the country) can run unopposed without a left-wing challenge next time. Cuomo is a pretty liberal governor who has a more progressive record than a lot of other Democratic governors.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 05:25:59 PM »

Cuomo is obviously running again in 2022 - he wants that 4th term for the family.

Who's Tish James?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 05:27:54 PM »

Who's Tish James?

Attorney General since 2018, & NYC's Public Advocate before that.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2020, 01:04:16 AM »

Maybe a House member?  SPM?  Kathy Rice?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2020, 01:10:14 AM »

If SPM couldn't win an AG primary, I can hardly see him managing to win a gubernatorial primary.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2020, 01:17:18 AM »

If SPM couldn't win an AG primary, I can hardly see him managing to win a gubernatorial primary.

Cuomo himself flubbed his initial gubernatorial run in 2002 before coming back in 2010.   
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2020, 01:24:32 AM »

Cuomo himself flubbed his initial gubernatorial run in 2002 before coming back in 2010.   

I mean, any SPM gubernatorial run would surely involve going up against Tish James again. If that repeat were to happen, I just don't see how James doesn't win again.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2020, 08:20:30 AM »

Hopefully AOC, but Cuomo is there as long as he wants to be there.
Duke of York

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2020, 12:03:13 PM »

I think Cuomo runs again in 2022 if he's not picked for a Biden Cabinet and he is succeeded by either Kathy Hochul or Tish James.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2020, 01:11:01 PM »

I think Cuomo runs again in 2022 if he's not picked for a Biden Cabinet and he is succeeded by either Kathy Hochul or Tish James.

I agree with this
Elijah89
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2020, 09:04:10 PM »

It was decent considering her opponent came from New York City and had strong minority support Cynthia Nixon did not have in her bid against Cuomo. Meanwhile, she swept Upstate by big margins. Hopefully all statewide elected officials of New York including Tish James (the best group in the country) can run unopposed without a left-wing challenge next time. Cuomo is a pretty liberal governor who has a more progressive record than a lot of other Democratic governors.

I though she did very well. As someone who voted for her that night I was nervous but at the same time once I realized that she wasn't trailing by much after the NYC vote was counted I figured she would crush it upstate. She got in the mid to high 40s in NYC. Not bad for an upstate gal who is not that well known in the city. It takes time to build a profile in the city.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2020, 09:40:57 PM »

Hochul will step in when Cuomo becomes Attorney General (or President). I think she'll win reelection, although she'll have to fend off some tough competition.
Pulaski

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2020, 10:37:53 PM »

If Cuomo runs and wins again in 2022, I have a hard time seeing either Hochul or James running in 2026. They'll both be nearly 70 by then.

Most likely in that scenario it's someone we can't anticipate now. But if Corey Johnson or Andrew Yang succeeded de Blasio next year, they could be contenders. Mike Gianaris, Brian Benjamin and Carl Heastie are options from the statehouse I guess.

Don't shoot the messenger, but depending on Presidential and Senatorial politics I honestly wouldn't rule out AOC running for governor at that time either.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies