NY-GOV: Who is the next Governor of New York?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:26:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-GOV: Who is the next Governor of New York?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: NY-GOV: Who is the next Governor of New York?  (Read 6501 times)
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2020, 07:55:31 PM »

Cuomo probably loses reelection in either 2022 or 2026 (either in the primary or general election)

The most likely successor,at least to me are Leticia James (She's a Cuomo ally, if Cuomo decides to retire anytime soon, I expect she'll run), Kathleen Rice, Tom Suozzi and the one realistic Republican candidate right now, Elise Stefanik (if she runs, she'd probably give Cuomo a scare,if not win in a Biden midterm)
LOL, Cuomo isn't losing a GE. Not even close. If there is any chance to retire him against his wish, it's a minor chance in a primary. I don't even see that, unless there is a major scandal.
No one thought Mario Cuomo would lose in 1994 either.

Stefanik has the profile (Moderate Upstate Republican) to be a threat to Cuomo if she runs in 2022.

That said, Cuomo's biggest problem will be the Democratic Primary. He's going to get a tougher challenge than Zephyr Teachout or Cynthia Nixon (especially Cynthia Nixon) at some point (maybe in 2022.)

It's also possible Cuomo's appointed to something in the Biden Administration (Secretary of Homeland Security and Attorney General both seem plausible to me.), which would leave Kathy Hochul as Governor...and there's a non-zero chance he gets elected President in 2024 as well (I think Biden will only serve one term if he wins)

NY from 1994 is vastly different from 2022 or 2026 and not really comparable. I just don't see how Cuomo, Hochul, James or any Dem loses a GE in the states unless we talk about a - very unrealistic - Roy Moore scenario here.
A Republican with suburban appeal and a law and order profile can win, like LiPetri or someone like that.

Andrew Cuomo is in a much stronger position as the de facto Supreme Leader of the New York Democratic Party, he has eliminated practically all opposition within the Democratic party in the state and see no reason he doesn't win in 2022 easily and if he wanted to again in 2026.

Counterpoint: Schumer.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2020, 08:55:54 PM »

Cuomo probably loses reelection in either 2022 or 2026 (either in the primary or general election)

The most likely successor,at least to me are Leticia James (She's a Cuomo ally, if Cuomo decides to retire anytime soon, I expect she'll run), Kathleen Rice, Tom Suozzi and the one realistic Republican candidate right now, Elise Stefanik (if she runs, she'd probably give Cuomo a scare,if not win in a Biden midterm)
LOL, Cuomo isn't losing a GE. Not even close. If there is any chance to retire him against his wish, it's a minor chance in a primary. I don't even see that, unless there is a major scandal.

Stefanik has the profile (Moderate Upstate Republican) to be a threat to Cuomo if she runs in 2022.

That said, Cuomo's biggest problem will be the Democratic Primary. He's going to get a tougher challenge than Zephyr Teachout or Cynthia Nixon (especially Cynthia Nixon) at some point (maybe in 2022.)

It's also possible Cuomo's appointed to something in the Biden Administration (Secretary of Homeland Security and Attorney General both seem plausible to me.), which would leave Kathy Hochul as Governor...and there's a non-zero chance he gets elected President in 2024 as well (I think Biden will only serve one term if he wins)

NY from 1994 is vastly different from 2022 or 2026 and not really comparable. I just don't see how Cuomo, Hochul, James or any Dem loses a GE in the states unless we talk about a - very unrealistic - Roy Moore scenario here.
A Republican with suburban appeal and a law and order profile can win, like LiPetri or someone like that.

Andrew Cuomo is in a much stronger position as the de facto Supreme Leader of the New York Democratic Party, he has eliminated practically all opposition within the Democratic party in the state and see no reason he doesn't win in 2022 easily and if he wanted to again in 2026.

Does Schumer oppose Cuomo?
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2020, 11:58:49 PM »

I've heard rumors about Jessica Ramos. Not sure about her chances.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2020, 03:19:24 PM »

Does Schumer oppose Cuomo?

They got into a pretty serious fight over Cuomo’s recent attempts to cut Medicaid; Schumer was threatening to make certain coronavirus aid conditional on Cuomo ceding the relevant reforms.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2020, 10:36:02 PM »

Whose to say Republican Ed Romaine won't be?  He's the Supervisor of Brookhaven Town, which has almost 500K residents.

Pataki wasn't supposed to be elected, either.  NY's electorate is far more elastic than Georgia's.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2020, 11:12:42 PM »

Whose to say Republican Ed Romaine won't be?  He's the Supervisor of Brookhaven Town, which has almost 500K residents.

Pataki wasn't supposed to be elected, either.  NY's electorate is far more elastic than Georgia's.
You insisted in 2018 that Cuomo would lose re-election to Molinaro after saying something bad about America (he won by more than Hillary). In 2019, you said Max Rose would change parties. No such thing happened. But I'm sure you are right this time, lol.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2020, 05:12:16 PM »

If Cuomo doesn't watch his back, he could lose his reelection as well.

Lee Zeldin could use the law and order thing and sweep upstate.

NY GOV 2022 is Likely D
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2020, 05:23:23 PM »

Watch it be a Republican because of course... Biden's midterm is going to be such a bloodbath sadly
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2020, 05:30:49 PM »

Watch it be a Republican because of course... Biden's midterm is going to be such a bloodbath sadly

That wouldn't necessarily be much worse than Cuomo. At least we'd finally be rid of him, I hope.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2020, 06:49:08 PM »

It could be if the NYGOP defines Cuomo as a nursing home killer and the NYPD shrinks in terms of force, they'll run law and order, bypass the NYC mayor to cater to Lynch and Mullins
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2020, 04:51:00 AM »

I'm still of the same opinion as last time I posted in this thread: I think Cuomo wins one more term in 2022 and then retires in 2026.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2020, 05:17:12 PM »

Lmao... Cuomo is not losing to a Republican. Not even in a disastrous midterm for Democrats, which is not guaranteed either. I could see more of a neutral one, similar to 1998.

Anyway, I want Kathy Hochul and him to go to Washington serving under President Biden. I think she would do better in Upstate New York than Cuomo did in 2014 and 2018.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2020, 11:56:13 AM »

2022 Predictions:

Governor:  Kathy Hochul
Senator:  Chuck Schumer
Lt. Governor:  Tom DiNapoli
Attorney General:  Letitia James
Comptroller:  Byron Brown
warandwar
United States

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2020, 12:37:45 PM »

Cuomo is going to run again and face a primary challenge from Sen. Biaggi. Biaggi will lose. I don't think he's going to face serious Republican opposition, but I suspect they will noninate a cop or DA to push their law and order deal (and provide cover for Cuomo refusing to end solitary).
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2020, 01:21:14 PM »

I hope Cuomo gets a position in the Biden administration.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2020, 02:19:36 PM »

i think cuomo goes for 5
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2020, 03:47:47 PM »

Because you want him there or to get him out Albany?

I certainly would like both.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2020, 03:49:10 PM »

Because you want him there or to get him out Albany?

I certainly would like both.

Mostly to get him out of Albany, but I'm sure he'd be competent at whatever administration position he got.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2020, 04:07:43 PM »

It will be a New York Democrat.

In 2026.

A Republican probably won't win until 2030 or 2034
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2020, 05:54:15 PM »

Interesting article related to Cuomo.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-james-cahill-alleged-organized-crime-ties-20201228-s3fetgkm5jbg3dlt7ogeubui2u-story.html

His friends are mobsters. We always knew that.

Unions are still the best way to advocate for the everyday worker. We need to stop allowing the Mafia to taint the image of organized labor. Stamp it out.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies