NY-GOV: Who is the next Governor of New York?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:14:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-GOV: Who is the next Governor of New York?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: NY-GOV: Who is the next Governor of New York?  (Read 6503 times)
Quincy Kelley
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2020, 08:03:19 AM »

When Trump wins reelection in November as President, expect Cuomo to remain in the NY State Executive Mansion in Albany until 2027.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2020, 03:49:19 PM »

When Trump wins reelection in November as President, expect Cuomo to remain in the NY State Executive Mansion in Albany until 2027.

I'd expect that regardless of whether or not Trump wins re-election.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2020, 07:33:20 PM »

New York has no term limits, which is okay, you can run how long if you are doing a good job

Pataki would have probably lost in 2006, Spitzer would have probably lost in 2010.

Had he not been in a Prostitution scandal, Spitzer would have been re-elected in 2010.

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2020, 10:21:30 PM »

Mayor Corey Johnson in 2026?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2020, 04:28:29 AM »

New York has no term limits, which is okay, you can run how long if you are doing a good job

Pataki would have probably lost in 2006, Spitzer would have probably lost in 2010.

Had he not been in a Prostitution scandal, Spitzer would have been re-elected in 2010.

Probably, but his approvals by late 2007 was at 30% or something. So he was unpopular even before the scandal broke. I wonder whether David Paterson would have won the primary and general if he stayed in the race in 2010.
Quincy Kelley
Rookie
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2020, 08:37:18 AM »

Probably, but his approvals by late 2007 was at 30% or something. So he was unpopular even before the scandal broke. I wonder whether David Paterson would have won the primary and general if he stayed in the race in 2010.

Paterson was doomed regardless because Obama & Co., aggressively pushed him out in favor of Cuomo.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2020, 11:48:46 AM »

Tom Suozzi or Harry Wilson?

Wilson is a center-right Republican.

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2020, 03:28:22 PM »

I think you're thinking of Paterson's 2008-09 approval ratiings.  The guy was horrible.

Spitzer was sharp, and he was on the right side of the Wall Street issue.  If he hadn't gotten caught with prostitutes he'd have been on the ticket in 2016.
Quincy Kelley
Rookie
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2020, 05:35:22 PM »

Paterson was pathetic & his sex scandals didn't help.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2020, 08:14:50 PM »

Paterson was doomed regardless because Obama & Co., aggressively pushed him out in favor of Cuomo.

You think Paterson would have lost to Lazio?

Probably.

Cuomo will be there til 2027.

Who is his successor? Tom Suozzi? Tish James?
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2020, 07:45:13 PM »

The ghost of Andrew Cuomo. During his 10th term he'll wake up and no longer be alive, but will still serve as Governor. Point being: He's governor as long as he wants to be.

In all seriousness, I really hope it's AOC or Andrew Yang.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2020, 12:22:36 PM »

Someone who isn't born yet.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2020, 12:51:35 PM »

This thread isn't about the next Democratic governor of Florida.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2020, 02:55:15 PM »

Moreover, I was born 20 years ago.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2020, 03:44:07 PM »

Sorry, I might have used the same joke twice.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2020, 04:13:55 PM »

2022 would be the time for Cuomo to lose. Convincing voters you deserve a fourth term as governor is traditionally an uphill battle, and, although he's currently popular in a George-Bush-after-9/11-rally-around-the-flag way, once there's some distance from the current crisis, his handling of it would be impossible to defend from any scrutiny. Of course, this is assuming his record gets any scrutiny, which isn't especially likely.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2020, 12:43:21 AM »

Cuomo probably loses reelection in either 2022 or 2026 (either in the primary or general election)

The most likely successor,at least to me are Leticia James (She's a Cuomo ally, if Cuomo decides to retire anytime soon, I expect she'll run), Kathleen Rice, Tom Suozzi and the one realistic Republican candidate right now, Elise Stefanik (if she runs, she'd probably give Cuomo a scare,if not win in a Biden midterm)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2020, 02:07:22 AM »

Cuomo probably loses reelection in either 2022 or 2026 (either in the primary or general election)

The most likely successor,at least to me are Leticia James (She's a Cuomo ally, if Cuomo decides to retire anytime soon, I expect she'll run), Kathleen Rice, Tom Suozzi and the one realistic Republican candidate right now, Elise Stefanik (if she runs, she'd probably give Cuomo a scare,if not win in a Biden midterm)

LOL, Cuomo isn't losing a GE. Not even close. If there is any chance to retire him against his wish, it's a minor chance in a primary. I don't even see that, unless there is a major scandal.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2020, 02:22:17 AM »

LOL, Cuomo isn't losing a GE. Not even close. If there is any chance to retire him against his wish, it's a minor chance in a primary. I don't even see that, unless there is a major scandal.
No one thought Mario Cuomo would lose in 1994 either.

Stefanik has the profile (Moderate Upstate Republican) to be a threat to Cuomo if she runs in 2022.

That said, Cuomo's biggest problem will be the Democratic Primary. He's going to get a tougher challenge than Zephyr Teachout or Cynthia Nixon (especially Cynthia Nixon) at some point (maybe in 2022.)

It's also possible Cuomo's appointed to something in the Biden Administration (Secretary of Homeland Security and Attorney General both seem plausible to me.), which would leave Kathy Hochul as Governor...and there's a non-zero chance he gets elected President in 2024 as well (I think Biden will only serve one term if he wins)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2020, 03:16:51 AM »

Stefanik has the profile (Moderate Upstate Republican) to be a threat to Cuomo if she runs in 2022.

That said, Cuomo's biggest problem will be the Democratic Primary. He's going to get a tougher challenge than Zephyr Teachout or Cynthia Nixon (especially Cynthia Nixon) at some point (maybe in 2022.)

It's also possible Cuomo's appointed to something in the Biden Administration (Secretary of Homeland Security and Attorney General both seem plausible to me.), which would leave Kathy Hochul as Governor...and there's a non-zero chance he gets elected President in 2024 as well (I think Biden will only serve one term if he wins)

NY from 1994 is vastly different from 2022 or 2026 and not really comparable. I just don't see how Cuomo, Hochul, James or any Dem loses a GE in the states unless we talk about a - very unrealistic - Roy Moore scenario here.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2020, 06:29:02 AM »

Strongly believe it will be Stefanik.  Whether she wins in 2022 or 2026 will depend on who is president.  She will wait for a Dem midterm.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2020, 01:24:09 PM »

Lmao at Stefanik having a shot at the governor's villa. She's a fake moderate who has done Trump's bidding over the past years. The New York governorship is gone for Republicans for the next cycles. Andrew Cuomo will once again destroy anyone they put up against him in 2022. In 2014 and 2018, there wasn't even a Republican primary since none but one candidate wanted to run. Even in California, there were at least two competing for general election spot.

If Cuomo joins a Biden Administration (which I'm hoping for) or is elected president, I feel confident Kathy Hochul would improve in Upstate New York. She's from Buffalo and did pretty well there in the primary. It seems a reason for Cuomo underperforming Gillibrand and Schumer in Upstate are gun rights. Hochul has been moderate on guns. If she ran in her own right, she'd probably crack 60% in a statewide election against a generic Republican.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2020, 01:30:20 PM »

NY from 1994 is vastly different from 2022 or 2026 and not really comparable. I just don't see how Cuomo, Hochul, James or any Dem loses a GE in the states unless we talk about a - very unrealistic - Roy Moore scenario here.
A Republican with suburban appeal and a law and order profile can win, like LiPetri or someone like that.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2020, 08:00:36 PM »

My guess is the Democrats will hold the Governor's Mansion until at least the 2030s.

I don't see how the GOP win anytime soon.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2020, 07:18:29 PM »

A Republican with suburban appeal and a law and order profile can win, like LiPetri or someone like that.

Andrew Cuomo is in a much stronger position as the de facto Supreme Leader of the New York Democratic Party, he has eliminated practically all opposition within the Democratic party in the state and see no reason he doesn't win in 2022 easily and if he wanted to again in 2026.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies