Will the minimum wage be raised after the pandemic is over?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:33:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Will the minimum wage be raised after the pandemic is over?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Will the minimum wage be raised after the pandemic is over?  (Read 1834 times)
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2020, 01:25:07 AM »
« edited: April 06, 2020, 01:40:10 AM by BaldEagle1991 »

The fact is a lot of these people working in restaurants and grocery stores right now are currently working for much low wages. With the height of this pandemic do you see any sign that their push to raise the minimum wage would become more supported in the far future?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 01:33:41 AM »

Hopefully. The pandemic is gonna take a huge toll on the working poor. It remains to be seen what happens after the stimulus checks if they haven't been able to meet financial obligations (because one $1,200 stimulus check isn't gonna be enough if this goes on for more than a month). We're certainly a wealthy society with plenty of resources to fix the burden of this pandemic, but our laws are so weak & their enforcement so lax that the consequences of this pandemic could very well be the ruin of more than one generation.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 03:25:13 AM »

It should, but it won't as long as Republicans have anything to say about it.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 05:21:19 AM »

There should be a massive economic redistribution to the poorest workers which is now often correlated by age, particularly as many have known nothing but recession and cannot isolate from it. That should include a minimum wage increase as it is clear that the lowest paid and undervalued workers are essential.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 12:42:34 PM »

Maybe a short term raise to eventually balance out list revenue but not really long term
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 09:23:05 PM »

Doubtful. Maybe permanent improvements to sick leave, family leave, and  unemployment insurance. If anything, "Businesses are too shaky right now!" will make it harder to raise the minimum wage at either the State or Federal level for the next couple of years.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 09:28:11 PM »

There will likely be a look at unemployment benefits, but not minimum wage.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 11:09:47 PM »

Probably not.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 09:59:08 AM »

White House Considers Cuts to Migrant Farm Worker Minimum Wages, Despite Labor Shortages

Even in times of crisis, people need to eat—but that doesn’t mean the farms that produce our food are immune from the ripple effect of the coronavirus pandemic. Quite the opposite, actually: The closures of public dining spaces like restaurants and cafeterias have upended the usual supply chains, and rerouting them to fit demand is difficult—leaving plenty of food going to waste, upsettingly at a time when many Americans are struggling to feed themselves. Adding to the problem are COVID-19-related labor shortages—both domestic for those affected by the illness and foreign for migrants struggling to get into the country.

To deal with these issues, the USDA has been offering support to farmers such as direct payments, loan assistance, and relaxed regulations—including working directly with the State Department and the Department of Homeland Security to attempt to keep a steady flow of migrant workers into the country to prevent further labor shortages. But at a time when more labor is needed and millions of Americans are out of work, a new plan purportedly being discussed to save farms money is drawing some scrutiny: lowering worker wages.

Granted, I think this is more because Trump is trying to indulge his xenophobic supporters rather than specifically to cut the minimum wage, but I did somewhat call it:

If anything, "Businesses are too shaky right now!" will make it harder to raise the minimum wage at either the State or Federal level for the next couple of years.

I didn't think anyone would propose cutting the minimum wage, especially at the Federal level.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 10:17:34 AM »

That would only hurt businesses more.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 07:43:29 PM »

This should be a regional issue. The cost of living and value of a dollar changes in differing parts of America. What might be common sense in LA would bankrupt a business owner in rural Mississippi.
Expanding social programs would be a better way of lifting people up.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 10:43:52 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2020, 10:48:54 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

I can't imagine a worse time to play with the minimum wage. Grocery stores are barely profitable as is. Sounds like a great way to create even more food deserts unless you are referring to targeting very select areas.

Restaurants are going to be in absolutely dire shape after this, and the average restaurant is not in great financial health during ordinary times. I barely went before, and this has only made me less interested in ever going back. I guess you could raise wages/prices, but expect the options to fall drastically - not that I care. Maybe Americans are lazy enough to keep going at any price. They've already outpaced inflation this decade by more than I could ever stomach.

We have to count on the federal government (and some states) to even the score after the fact. Expanding EITC, healthcare and other key assistance should be the priorities while a couple of high cost cities get their minimum wages where it belongs (which they have largely done - they can move it as they still see fit).
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 10:47:17 PM »

I see inflation decreasing as a result of this, so I don't see it as necessary.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 11:22:39 PM »

I barely went before, and this has only made me less interested in ever going back.

We need to meet up more often to do our part, then!
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 04:56:38 PM »

And young people trying to enter the job market.

This is one issue where I agree with Libertarians: I don't think there should be a minimum wage at all.

And when people start talking about raising the minimum wage, I get sarcastic and suggest that we raise the wage to $75 an hour. Hey, we're going to get there anyway, some day, so we might as well get there sooner rather than later. After all, it never hurts anyone at all to raise the minimum wage. Raising it is always a win-win scenario. And we need to ensure that no one is ever "working poor."
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2020, 10:32:06 PM »

This is one issue where I agree with Libertarians: I don't think there should be a minimum wage at all.

And when people start talking about raising the minimum wage, I get sarcastic and suggest that we raise the wage to $75 an hour.
Hey, we're going to get there anyway, some day, so we might as well get there sooner rather than later. After all, it never hurts anyone at all to raise the minimum wage. Raising it is always a win-win scenario. And we need to ensure that no one is ever "working poor."

Okay, Gary Johnson.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 12:58:41 PM »

And when people start talking about raising the minimum wage, I get sarcastic and suggest that we raise the wage to $75 an hour. Hey, we're going to get there anyway, some day, so we might as well get there sooner rather than later. After all, it never hurts anyone at all to raise the minimum wage. Raising it is always a win-win scenario. And we need to ensure that no one is ever "working poor."

I guarantee you there wouldn't be so many "unpaid internships" out there if it were legal to pay people $5 an hour.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 06:08:45 PM »

With all the extra money those restaurants will have after this??  Lol.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2020, 12:26:41 AM »

I guarantee you there wouldn't be so many "unpaid internships" out there if it were legal to pay people $5 an hour.

Abolish the minimum wage and repeal Taft-Hartley so we get mass unionization negotiating with employers on a workplace by workplace basis.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2020, 10:36:04 AM »

Abolish the minimum wage and repeal Taft-Hartley so we get mass unionization negotiating with employers on a workplace by workplace basis.

I would be fine with this.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 04:18:41 AM »

Most Northern states have already raised the minimum wage, except the NE, that's why Collins, Sununu and Phil Scott may lose due to minimum wage being stuck at 7.25
cris01us
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 04:00:18 PM »

Probably not in the immediate wake and in a Presidential election year.  The issue will certainly be pressed after the election, the emphasis to which it is given will depend on which party holds the Oval Office.

I'm not sure the wage fight will ever be over, even if a $15 or $20 wage was passed tomorrow.  It would only abate and delay the discussion until inflation made the new wage seem insufficient.  So long as there is tension between labor and capitalist this issue will be with mankind.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2020, 09:07:04 PM »

I guarantee you there wouldn't be so many $10 an hour jobs out there if it were legal to pay people $5 an hour.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2020, 11:44:19 PM »

I guarantee you there wouldn't be so many $10 an hour jobs out there if it were legal to pay people $5 an hour.

Yes and that's a good thing.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2020, 11:56:25 PM »

Yes and that's a good thing.

What is the pathway to libertarian Paradise like? Do you just get rid of the bad laws and everything is okay? Do you first try to eliminate inequities from a corrupt pre-existing order and then institute policies that allow people to sink or swim on their own? What are the first steps taken?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies