Spencer v. Nigrelli: Guns and God in church
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:05:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Spencer v. Nigrelli: Guns and God in church
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Spencer v. Nigrelli: Guns and God in church  (Read 1130 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2023, 09:44:24 AM »

This is an interesting case. After some reflection, I agree with the result. If guns are allowed in Walmart, they should be allowed in Church, as similarly situated. A Hair Salon however is not similarly situated, with more controlled access with less volume. Perhaps the statute could be rewritten to avoid singling out religious institutions.

https://reason.com/volokh/2022/12/30/n-y-law-banning-gun-carrying-in-churches-including-when-authorized-by-church-unconstitutionally/
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 07:59:09 PM »

The law is aimed at the Jim Jones/David Koresh style, surely?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 10:58:43 AM »

I'm quite far from a gun enthusiast, but this seems like the correct decision to me. A law like this certainly does not pass strict scrutiny. The issue I see with this law is that it prohibits carrying in church even when authorized by the church.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 03:37:19 AM »

if the property owners don't care if guns are on the property, neither should the govt.  I don't even understand any other conclusion.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 07:27:35 AM »

if the property owners don't care if guns are on the property, neither should the govt.  I don't even understand any other conclusion.

I'm mostly in agreement with that sentiment, though I can think of some possible exceptions. I don't know about you, but I don't think passengers should be allowed guns on commercial airliners.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 07:40:09 AM »

I'm mostly in agreement with that sentiment, though I can think of some possible exceptions. I don't know about you, but I don't think passengers should be allowed guns on commercial airliners.
if the airline didn't have a problem with it, I wouldn't have a problem with it.  Lucky for you, air travel is one of the most (over) regulated industries and the people in charge would never allow that again*.

*people used to fly with guns all the time before 1961.  Terrorism in the air really picked up afterwords.  Weird. 
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 10:45:14 PM »

if the airline didn't have a problem with it, I wouldn't have a problem with it.  Lucky for you, air travel is one of the most (over) regulated industries and the people in charge would never allow that again*.

*people used to fly with guns all the time before 1961.  Terrorism in the air really picked up afterwords.  Weird. 
hmm, nothing else involved there
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies