If the WTC was destroyed in 1993 what would have happened?

(1/5) > >>

Frozen Sky Ever Why:
The intention of the 1993 attack was to have the North Tower fall on the South Tower, destroying both. The death toll would probably have been astronomically higher than 9/11. What does Clinton do at home and abroad?

brucejoel99:
Clinton would probably respond like Bush responded after 9/11: seek out al-Qaeda at all costs & send troops to the country where we believe they're hiding. At the time, bin Laden & Co. were based in Sudan, & given how the Sudanese government kicked him out in 1995 for planning to assassinate the President of Egypt, I think we can comfortably presume that they'd at least give the Americans fuel & directions on their way to arrest him themselves.

And like Bush mostly abandoned his hopes for education reform after 9/11, Clinton would abandon his hopes for healthcare reform to instead focus on this event. Perhaps without focusing on healthcare & the rallying effect (assuming Clinton acts, which I think he would), the Democrats can presumably hold the House in 1994, though an earlier War on Terror might be enough to drag Powell into the 1996 election, but unless Clinton badly f**ks up post-attack, he'd probably still get re-elected.

(no subject):
I think that in this scenario the Republicans in alt-1996 "choose" (as they won't have any other option) someone with strong defence and foreign policy credentials, if not outright someone with actual military experience.

NewYorkExpress:
Clinton would probably lose in 1996, presumably to Colin Powell (if he runs) or John McCain.

Remember, 9/11 only helped Dubya because he was able to exploit it for his own reelection (and invading Iraq). I can't see Clinton being able or willing to do the same.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers:
Probably no 1994 style R sweep in Congress which hurt Gore more than it did Clinton, since he was a 3rd term Clinton in 2000, due to Lewinsky and impeachment.  Probably no OKC bombing either

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page