What's the last movie you've seen? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:31:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 630250 times)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« on: March 01, 2006, 01:12:26 AM »

The original with Katherine Hepburn or the remake with Glen Close and Patrick Stewart? The remake was long and boring, I liked the original better. It was one of Anthony Hopkins first roles.

You only get one guess as to what the last movie I saw in the theatre was. I don't like talking about it b/c States and Jake start making lynching jokes Sad I'll just say that "Crash" better not win on Sunday, if Hollywood knows whats good for it.

Everyone's whining that no popular movies were nominated. Capote, Munich, etc. are great films and if you are too lazy or ignorant to see them then maybe the Oscars shouldn't matter to you.

I saw Sin City on DVD, I didn't like it. Yes visually it was great, but the story was lacking.

Frodo- Not only you are a hypocrite, you're a homophobe. 
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 04:30:09 AM »

Frodo- Not only you are a hypocrite, you're a homophobe. 

And that right there is exactly the queer agenda. If you disagree with their position and where they stand. Start personally attacking them. Very petty.

Just because you have a 2,000 year old book to base your "arguement" on doesn't make it any more valid.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 05:10:22 AM »

Why is this being brought up again from a week ago?

Frodo my problem is this (not the bold part in your post):

Well, you're talking to someone here with a shameless double standard -I was much more comfortable with the heterosexual sex scenes and had no problem whatsoever with how graphic they were.  If I had to see a scene with two people of the same sex going at it, I would prefer they be women as opposed to men..... 

Yeah, I know I'm a hypocrite.  Tongue

Just b/c you admit you have a double standard and downplay it doesn't make it less offensive. I bet if there was a law proposed to allow only lesbians to marry you'd support it? I can understand someone being flat out homophobic, but having a double standard like this is just plain insulting.

I suppose its not your fault you feel this way, since most men find 2 women making out to be hot. It may be more about biology than bias, but its still annoying.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 12:18:47 AM »

In Theaters- Brokeback Mountain (I care about it more as a gay rights event than as a movie, which is something most people wouldn't understand). Still, it was the best movie of 2005. March of the Penguins was G-rated pablum that belongs on TV, and Wedding Crashers was far less funny than I was led to believe.

On Video/DVD: Sin City- Didn't Like It

Out of Africa: A Good Oscar Winner from 1985. It made me nostalgic for the days of colonialism.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 06:00:20 AM »

March of the Penguins was G-rated pablum that belongs on TV

You have no appreciation for art. Sad

I agree. The Swedish voice over wasn't very good, unfortunately, but as a movie it was great. Stunning.

Stunning? It was a documentary on penguins. It should have been aired on Discovery or National Geographic.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thats exactly how I feel. Yes its amazing how the parents care for their young, walk a hundred miles in blizzards, etc. But it seemed to be made for children primarily, and wasn't worth a full ticket price. I only saw it b/c my friend wouldn't see 40 Year Old Virgin instead.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 11:12:50 PM »

New- The Family Stone    B+

Old- Boogie Nights           A
       Of Human Bondage   B

Three Kings and The Hours are really awesome movies.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 05:21:30 PM »

I tried to watch Match Point but I didn't like it so I only saw the first 20-25 minutes.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 11:07:29 PM »

Babel

I loved it!  It has Best Picture written all over it. Has anyone else here seen it?
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 05:51:30 PM »

Last two films I saw where 'Bobby' and 'Rocky Balboa'

Quelle Horror! Je n'aime pas boxing movies. (If you don't speak French I apologize in advance Wink)

I saw the Hours recently. Pretty good, I liked the mood of it.

I cried during that one, I saw it 4 years ago in the theatre but haven't seen it again because it was so upsetting. One of the best films of the decade though.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 04:46:22 PM »

Hannah and her Sisters a Woody Allen film from 1986.

It was better than Platoon, which won the Oscar that year. But it was still a little boring. Michael Caine's hair looked weird, it was like he was wearing a sheep on his head. A blond sheep.

And it seemed kind of dated. During the whole film, I kept thinking "I can't believe I was alive when this was made!"
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 04:22:23 PM »

Zodiac

too long, but I liked it, and Jake Gyllenhaal is hot which made the length bearable.

Cool   Cool

I saw a lame movie called "Flyboys". I give it a 6 out of 10. It should have had a Mystery Science Theater commentary with it.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 09:34:02 PM »

Jake Gyllenhaal is hot which made the length bearable.

Alright, you can acknowledge a guy is good looking, but this goes into the f****t category.

That doesn't make any sense. We have a category?

Sorry if we f****tized your evening Jake. We'll tone it down Roll Eyes
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 01:14:58 AM »

I saw The Namesake

It was very good. I read the book a few months ago when I heard this was coming out, since the author won a Pulitzer Prize for another book and she's supposed to be very good (Her name is Jhumpa Lahiri). The book was well written, just as I had been told. I think I'll read her other book soon, called "Interpreter of Maladies".

I didn't like that they changed minor details in the movie. In the book the family moves from Calcutta to Boston but they made it the New York suburbs instead. Also, they shortened my favorite part of the book, when Gogol (the main character, played by Kal Penn) goes with his girlfriend and her parents to their summer home in New Hampshire. The contrast between his middle-class Bengali background and the privileged WASPS he found himself with was really interesting, but they changed the vacation to Oyster Bay, a town on Long Island which just isn't the same.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 12:34:21 AM »

Amazing Grace. The score is pretty bad, especially in the really dramatic 'decision-making' moments, and the blind priest character seems a little forced, but overall I liked it quite a bit. That said, a film directed by the guy who makes the 7-UP series (Apsted) I will always go and see; a film with Ioan Gruffudd as the lead I will always go and see, and a film on the life of WW I will always go to see.

You also saw a film that was marketed heavily towards and promoted by Evangelical Protestants as good wholesome Christian entertainment. Next you'll be saying you support John Howard. (Please don't say that). Tongue

The last movie I saw was Hairspray, before that, The Namesake. I don't watch movies that much anymore. If you'd like to know why, ask States Rights about that weird little film I love.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 12:58:00 AM »

Atonement

Really good film. I liked Saorise Ronan and James McAvoy, Keira Knightley was okay but not as good as the other two. Is Briony a common British name?

I Remember Mama  (1948)

One of my all-time favorites. I highly recomend it, but there's not much demand for 40's nostalgia films today, especially among my age group.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 01:55:44 PM »

Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis, easily one of the top French movies in recent years. Ch'est parti biloute!

I read somewhere that it made more money in France than any film since Titanic.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 11:43:30 AM »

The Hours: I didn't like it as much as when I saw it the first time in 2003. I really loved it then, now.......not so much. Julianne Moore is a great actress.

Juno: It had the neo-Nazi from Oz!! It was cute and okay. My favorite line was when Juno says she's going to St. Cloud (Minnesota) and Allison Janney says "Why are you going to East Jesus Nowhere?"
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 12:02:03 AM »

I saw two yesterday.

Get Real and Nixon. Both enjoyable movies.

The last movie I watched was "Get Real" as well, but I don't know if we're on the same page..

I saw that movie years ago. I only remember a couple of scenes, but it was depressing compared to Beautiful Thing, a similar movie that was released around the same time. The latter is one of my all time favorites.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 12:44:10 AM »

For some reason the first time I watched Beautiful Thing I thought it was mediocre and didn't know what all the fuss was about. I thought I judged it a little too harshly, so I watched it a second time pretty recently, and liked it alot more than I did the first time. Go figure.

It was a much more hopeful and uplifting film, while Get Real, as its title suggests, was too pessimistic and sad.

Avatar and The Hangover....both were WAY WAY over-rated as I had suspected.  Avatar looked like a cartoon and was at least an hour too long....and preachy...I guess it was pretty.  The Hangover had like, maybe 10 funny things happen in it and I saw 7 of those in the previews for it.  And I LOVE Ed Helms.

After being disapointed by The Wedding Crashers, I've passed on seeing The Hangover.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies