What's the last movie you've seen? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:46:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 630549 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« on: February 27, 2006, 09:05:25 AM »

The Lion in Winter
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 09:30:15 AM »

The original with Katherine Hepburn or the remake with Glen Close and Patrick Stewart? The remake was long and boring, I liked the original better. It was one of Anthony Hopkins first roles.

The original, I've not seen the re-make at all. It's quite an interesting film, Hopkins, O'Toole and Hepburn are all good. Some good quotes in it as well.

Anyway the last film I've now seen is Saw, which was disappointing.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 05:17:37 AM »

The Squid and the Whale
Very good. Pleasantly surprised as I didn't expect great things from it. Very good performances all round.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 05:35:58 AM »

Over the weekend I say:
X-Men - I'm not a fan of this genre, and unsurprisingly didn't think much of this.

The English Patient - Better than I thought it would be, on the whole not bad.

Braveheart - Seen it before, but it's very entertaining (even if it is from the  Riefenstahl school of film-making).
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 06:26:05 AM »

Kramer versus Kramer
Fairly good. Loved the scene where the kid meets his dad's new lover.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 11:32:38 AM »

Das Boot
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 05:49:38 AM »

The Seventh Seal
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 06:29:15 AM »

The Matador
A reasonable effort. Pierce Brosnan was good.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 07:12:36 AM »

Little Miss Sunshine
Best film I've seen this year. Funny, likeable, original.

The Queen
Certainly held my interest and was better than I expected. Though, of course, one can't tell just how true to life the rperesentations are. Nevertheless, worth watching.

Children of Men
Held my attention, but felt it was lacking...something. On the whole the acting and everyth-ing was fine, the storyline interesting, I would like a more conclusive ending though.

Seabiscuit
Dullness followed by drearyness for over 2 hours. Trumped up out of all proportions. Unoriginal and best avoided, IMHO.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 05:51:48 AM »

Babel
Certainly very engaging, but if there was a central them (beyond possibly misunderstanding) then I missed it. The film was probably too long, and could have been editted down quite a bot but nonetheless worth watching.

The Last King of Scotland
Good, but not as fantastic as most of the reviews have made out. Fascinating portrayal of Amin, the lead performances are good. This is also worth looking out for.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 02:26:52 PM »

Zodiac. Anybody else seen that? I liked it.

Saw it on Friday. I like David Fincher's films generally: Se7en; Fight Club; and especially The Game.

I thought it was good, not great.

I thought it dragged a bit at 2 and a half hours; and the payoff wasn't greatly satisfying (it being based on a true story I'm not sure what they could have done to satisfy me here). Gyllenhaal was good, I'm never sure what to make of Downey Jr. Some nice dialogue too. Worth watching, but below my expectations for a Fincher film.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »

Fight Club is just extremely great (although I saw the film long before I knew the book).

Didn't know about the book...must look that up.

Seven is good too, but overrated actually. I never found the end particularly convincing.

Really? Credibility wise, it's the Sloth scene which I think pushes the limits the most...

One of my favourite films, but not one which most others rate very highly.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 02:14:46 PM »

The Simpsons Movie
I really liked the opening half hour or so - but I thought the latter parts of the film suffered because of the need for plot development which weighed it down a little. Worth seeing though - much better than most of the Simpsons output in recent years.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 10:31:07 AM »

The Simpsons Movie
I really liked the opening half hour or so - but I thought the latter parts of the film suffered because of the need for plot development which weighed it down a little. Worth seeing though - much better than most of the Simpsons output in recent years.

Hahaha.. That's almost exactly what I was going to post in this thread.

Also the attempts at Political 'satire' were far too feeble. The Simpsons truly sucks when it tries to be relevant.

You mean you don't think Itchy/Hillary could win in '08?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 06:38:12 PM »

i ♥ huckabees

I still don't know anything about existentialist philosophy, but I enjoyed this nevertheless.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 12:43:42 PM »

Little Miss Sunshine
Watched it for the first time since seeing it in the cinema. I still rate it very highly. Some great comedy moments.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 01:39:23 PM »

Evan Almighty
Insubstantial but watchable (largely thanks to Steve Carell).
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 01:53:06 PM »

Evan Almighty
Insubstantial but watchable (largely thanks to Steve Carell).

Do they mention "Bruce" at all in it?

No, the storyline is independent of the first Almighty film.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 03:22:26 PM »

Star Trek: Nemesis

Not good, not good at all in fact. The final act had redeeming features but not enough to save what was, on the whole, a rather disappointing effort. Most importantly though - they killed off my favourite character. Sad
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 01:48:06 PM »

An absolutely horrible movie. My Dad's a big Trek fan and he dragged me to see this movie in the theaters. It claims the title of being the only movie I have ever seen that actually put me to sleep, though The Good Shepard was close.

While I've fallen asleep before films a few times (notably so with Godfather II and Apocalypse Now), the only movie I fell asleep in front of in a cinema was Kingdom of Heaven.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 09:46:26 AM »

An absolutely horrible movie. My Dad's a big Trek fan and he dragged me to see this movie in the theaters. It claims the title of being the only movie I have ever seen that actually put me to sleep, though The Good Shepard was close.

While I've fallen asleep before films a few times (notably so with Godfather II and Apocalypse Now), the only movie I fell asleep in front of in a cinema was Kingdom of Heaven.

Well Kingdom of Heaven was an alright movie I just think it suffered from bad casting. In my opinion the movie would have been much better if Liam Neeson had played an older version Orlando Bloom's character.

On Orlando Bloom, I agree completely with the BBC film reviewer Mark Kermode (who calls him Orloondo Bland) when described his acting (in a scene with Kiera Knightley in Pirates 3) as "positively teaky" and "You feel like you need to get out the varnish and varnish it."

Actually, Kermode's scornful reviews of all the Pirates films are hilarious - I think they're downloadable from the BBC Radio 5 website. Well worth listening to.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 01:07:11 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2007, 01:15:55 PM by Jas »

Well Kingdom of Heaven was an alright movie I just think it suffered from bad casting. In my opinion the movie would have been much better if Liam Neeson had played an older version Orlando Bloom's character.

On Orlando Bloom, I agree completely with the BBC film reviewer Mark Kermode (who calls him Orloondo Bland) when described his acting (in a scene with Kiera Knightley in Pirates 3) as "positively teaky" and "You feel like you need to get out the varnish and varnish it."

Actually, Kermode's scornful reviews of all the Pirates films are hilarious - I think they're downloadable from the BBC Radio 5 website. Well worth listening to.

Nice to meet another fellow Kermode fan then.. not that I agree with him lots but he is genuinely one of the best critics out there.

Strongly agree.

Btw, how could sleep during Apoclaypse now? The GF Part II I understand, but Apoclaypse now? Tsk... Tsk... Kingdom of Heaven was genuinely awful though, but Miami Vice is by far the worst film I've ever seen in a cinema, I'd rather drink a can of paint while being raped by a ten foot green pole disguised as Colin Farrell then seen that again. Oh, and Colin Farrell must die. Painfully.

Yeah, I've watched Apocalypse Now since and I just don't rate it at all. I found it rather boring. That being said I'm a big Martin Sheen fan (well more West Wing nut...but still) - I was gutted that he went and did a semester at NUIG, straight after I finished there.

I've not seen Miami Vice and I don't reall yhave a lot of time for Colin Farrell (I remember him from Ballykissangel) though Phone Booth was reasonable.

Anyhow... saw Brazil last night.
Very heavily influenced by 1984. Some quality comedy moments (as to be expected from an ex-Python director) [I particularly liked "This is your receipt for your husband... and this is my receipt for your receipt." Grin] and a remarkably high quality cast. Well worth watching.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 07:47:39 AM »

The Graduate
Good film, but I thought it was meandering somewhat aimlessly towards the end.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 01:19:16 PM »

Rosemary's Baby
Probably one of the best horror/thrillers I've ever seen. A series of very edgy and thrilling moments make this a thoroughly engaging and compelling piece of work.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2007, 01:33:41 PM »

City Slickers

Not that bad, a few laughs. Perfectly watchable.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies