Tim Kaine as a VP pick (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:48:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  Tim Kaine as a VP pick (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tim Kaine as a VP pick  (Read 2880 times)
KYRockefeller
Rookie

« on: August 09, 2020, 06:47:33 PM »

With hindsight, Booker probably would've helped drive Black turnout, which is a key reason Clinton lost. The cynic in me wonders if a Clinton-Warren ticket would've done even poorer with men.

Seeing as how Warren's presidential campaign really leaned into women's issues, especially by February, I have to think men would've gone harder for Trump because they wouldn't have had a lot to vote for with that ticket.
KYRockefeller
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 01:31:11 PM »

My big mark against Castro as a VP is that his support for more low income housing in suburbs while he was in HUD was not popular and could hurt with suburban voters.  Also, his advocacy of an open border is just a bad general election position.

Hillary's two best picks were either Sherrod Brown if she wanted to better target working class voters and tap into the anti-corporate side a bit or go with Booker to try to boost minority turnout.  I think either of those would have been better/more effective than Kaine.
KYRockefeller
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 02:58:49 PM »

History shows that suburban communities aren't keen on low income housing in their areas.  Trump's push on it is toxic because it's Trump (and there's a whole host of reasons Trump isn't getting any leverage on this issue but that's because voters are more concerned with the COVID pandemic) but if you dive into local politics, that issue is not going to be popular with voters there.  That's just a fact.  And we're talking in terms of 2016, which is a much different climate than 2020.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies