Tim Kaine as a VP pick
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:05:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  Tim Kaine as a VP pick
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Tim Kaine as a VP pick  (Read 2814 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2020, 02:49:40 PM »

My big mark against Castro as a VP is that his support for more low income housing in suburbs while he was in HUD was not popular and could hurt with suburban voters.  Also, his advocacy of an open border is just a bad general election position.

Trump's recent dog-whistling on this issue (e.g., the "suburban housewives" Booker tweet) has only served to hurt him thus far, so I really doubt Castro's support for it would've been detrimental to a ticket with him on it in any significant fashion.
KYRockefeller
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2020, 02:58:49 PM »

History shows that suburban communities aren't keen on low income housing in their areas.  Trump's push on it is toxic because it's Trump (and there's a whole host of reasons Trump isn't getting any leverage on this issue but that's because voters are more concerned with the COVID pandemic) but if you dive into local politics, that issue is not going to be popular with voters there.  That's just a fact.  And we're talking in terms of 2016, which is a much different climate than 2020.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2020, 11:14:35 AM »

Kaine would be an improvement over Biden this year.
I dislike Kaine, so no.

At the time, i strongly disliked the choice.

Tim Kain definitely was not Hillary Clinton's best choice for running-mate. He came across as a very weak candidate and his reputation as a very liberal Catholic (Donald Trump and Mike Pence, who are traditionalist Catholics, made Tim Kaines liberal views on Catholicism as a major attack point on the campaign trail) may have hurt Hillary Clinton among more moderate and traditionalist Catholic voters in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan. In retrospect, Cory Booker, Sherrod Brown, or Julian Castro would have been much stronger vice Presidential choices for Hillary Clinton and may have swung enough voters to allow Hillary Clinton to win the election.

... neither Trump or Pence are Catholic. I think Pence used to be but is Evangelical now. I don't think the Kaine pick hurt them among Catholics, Catholics are just getting more conservative because the percent of practicing Catholics is getting smaller.

I was under the impression that Donald Trump concerted to Catholicism after he married Melania in 2005 and that Mike Pence went back to the Catholic Church after he became Indiana’s governor in 2012. Ether way, both Donald Trump and Mike Pence are strong allies with the Catholic Church leadership in the US (such as Timothy Dolan, Bill Donohue, Raymond Arroyo, and Seán Patrick O'Malley) and have sought to implement/actually implemented policies that align with the views of Traditionalist Catholics. 
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2020, 11:53:50 AM »

A mediocre pick. Perfectly workable by qualifications and keeping down bad press, but not very good at the optics.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies