What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:40:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 631581 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3725 on: September 02, 2010, 01:22:18 PM »

L.I.E.

An...errrr....interesting movie.
kemikalije
« Reply #3726 on: September 03, 2010, 03:18:22 AM »

last movie crank 2 ... very funny
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3727 on: September 03, 2010, 09:44:44 PM »

This Boy's Life. A good movie.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3728 on: September 04, 2010, 04:27:16 AM »

Wild At Heart.

Cool, though maybe a bit over the top. I kind of liked seeing a more romantic side of Lynch though.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3729 on: September 04, 2010, 03:41:31 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2010, 04:13:42 PM by The Goy's Teeth »

Alphaville

Beautiful, totally sane pre-cyberpunk 1984-meets-Out of the Past-in-60s-Paris new wave film. Like all Godard, it gets a more dictatic at times though again like in Weekend I wonder whether the 'message' is actually part of the joke or not. This is a film after all not exactly easy to follow or  particularly concerned with its own narrative. But I can't help but really like a film (despite many flaws) which is so unconcerned which is so over-the-top in its romanticism, SF trappings (despite having zero budget and it shows) and in any way being conventional. All those of close-ups of Anna Karina wanted to make me move to Paris, circa 1965 and get involved in the movie business (Though the whole attitude to women does trouble me and would trouble me more if I didn't think the whole film was designed as an intellectual joke).
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #3730 on: September 04, 2010, 07:01:47 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2010, 07:06:40 PM by Northeast Representative Morgan »

I just watched Manic.  Is there some sort of source for the movie plots listed on Wikipedia, or can people really pick this stuff up from a movie?  Because, I sure can't.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3731 on: September 04, 2010, 11:02:09 PM »

Lottery Ticket, not as bad as Family Wedding.  Sissy and I do not have that much in common.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3732 on: September 05, 2010, 08:09:58 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2010, 08:25:55 PM by The Goy's Teeth »

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

I'll happily admit it - I had so much fun watching it. It was great. And I didn't even like Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz all that much.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3733 on: September 05, 2010, 09:07:18 PM »

The American.

Despite the title, this was a very European-style film. I am amazed this could open at #1. George Clooney isn't that big of a draw, it's very slow and doesn't even have much dialogue. It's a pretty good movie if you like that sort of thing, but do not expect anything resembling Bourne or the like. Also it's good that George Clooney is such a capable actor, it would've been a disaster with a weak lead.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3734 on: September 06, 2010, 02:15:56 AM »

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Basically what The Adventures of Pete and Pete would be like if the kids were in their 20s and there was a lot more video game related action/references. So basically, it was pretty awesome.

I really liked the Knives Chau character for some reason.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3735 on: September 06, 2010, 02:50:13 AM »

Just finished watching Requiem for a Dream.

Am I the only one here who watches IFC?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3736 on: September 08, 2010, 08:56:59 PM »

Me and You and Everyone We Know

Very weird, very funny and very indie. I throughly enjoyed it. Has anyone else here seen it?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3737 on: September 11, 2010, 07:41:28 PM »

Metropolis (1927).

I wonder how many PhD thesis' in Gender studies has this film inspired?

Anyway the ideas are totally banal and prosaic and the ending conclusion is laughable (and in a way, unsurprisingly - the screenwriter later joined the Nazi party. In parts, it shows). However it is, in it's second half once the plot gets going (the first half is mostly dull other than the imagery, which is o/c amazing) it turns into the most exciting silent film I've ever seen.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3738 on: September 11, 2010, 09:43:28 PM »

I watched Attack on Leningrad just a few hours ago.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3739 on: September 18, 2010, 01:01:20 AM »

The Town

Ben Affleck IS a good director. This is close to a must see. It's one of the most seamless mixtures of action, drama and romance I've seen in a long time. The only complaint is the ending was kind of anticlimatic (though considering what precedes it anything is going to feel that way.)  I'd be shocked if this doesn't get a Best Picture nomination with the 10 nominees now.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #3740 on: September 18, 2010, 09:39:57 AM »

Toy Story 3...

I plan to watch Resident Evil Afterlife this weekend, woot!
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3741 on: September 18, 2010, 08:08:36 PM »

The Town

Ben Affleck IS a good director. This is close to a must see. It's one of the most seamless mixtures of action, drama and romance I've seen in a long time. The only complaint is the ending was kind of anticlimatic (though considering what precedes it anything is going to feel that way.)  I'd be shocked if this doesn't get a Best Picture nomination with the 10 nominees now.

And here I thought you wouldn't like it because it is supposed to depict Irish Americans.   I havent been to the movies in a while but may have to check it out.

I'm really looking forward to The Fighter.  Christian Bale looks really good in the trailer. It helps that I also loved Mickey Ward as a boxer. He and Arturo Gatti (R.I.P.) beat the living hell out of each other in those 3 fights.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3742 on: September 19, 2010, 12:03:26 AM »

The Town

And here I thought you wouldn't like it because it is supposed to depict Irish Americans.   I havent been to the movies in a while but may have to check it out.

The most obviously Irish characters (like the ones with tattoos of Irish-related stuff or the old one who even has a bit of an accent) are all really terrible people. Much like The Departed, which I also liked. Of course I hated The Boondock Saints but that had nothing to do with the Irish thing and everything to do with it being a very very stupid and annoying movie.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3743 on: September 20, 2010, 12:47:14 PM »

The War Room
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3744 on: September 20, 2010, 04:29:49 PM »

Metropolis (1927).

I wonder how many PhD thesis' in Gender studies has this film inspired?

Anyway the ideas are totally banal and prosaic and the ending conclusion is laughable (and in a way, unsurprisingly - the screenwriter later joined the Nazi party. In parts, it shows). However it is, in it's second half once the plot gets going (the first half is mostly dull other than the imagery, which is o/c amazing) it turns into the most exciting silent film I've ever seen.

Was it the full version they just found earlier this year? I've been meaning to get my hands on that eventually.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3745 on: September 21, 2010, 09:13:57 AM »

Food, Inc.  It was very good, and of course dismaying.  The things you poor b*****ds eat back in the Bad Place.  Soon we'll have to eat that garbage here as well.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3746 on: September 27, 2010, 01:36:02 AM »

Robin Hood (2010)  Ugh, this was crap.  I can overlook something being massively historically inaccurate if it is at least entertaining.  This was really plodding and just flat out boring.  I wanted to like this, but toward the ending with Le Dastardly Frechies storming Omaha Beach, Maid Marion in armor and kids in gorilla masks was one of the most absurd things Ive ever seen.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3747 on: September 27, 2010, 01:38:45 AM »

Robin Hood (2010)  Ugh, this was crap.  I can overlook something being massively historically inaccurate if it is at least entertaining.  This was really plodding and just flat out boring.  I wanted to like this, but toward the ending with Le Dastardly Frechies storming Omaha Beach, Maid Marion in armor and kids in gorilla masks was one of the most absurd things Ive ever seen.

Robin Hood is historically inaccurate.  Wink

Oh, and a friend of mine was an extra in that movie.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3748 on: September 27, 2010, 01:54:00 AM »

Robin Hood is historically inaccurate.  Wink

Oh, and a friend of mine was an extra in that movie.

Quite Smiley  They just took it to a whole different level of absurdity. It was all over the map.  Like it tried to integrate historic events like the Magna Carta and Crusades, and just gets it all wrong.  Then they invent stuff. The Saving Private Ryan-esque scene at the end clinched it.  I would have preferred it if they just played it as straight folklore and dropped  the facade.  Worst of all it was just a bad movie. I was hoping for more with Ridley Scott and Crowe.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3749 on: September 27, 2010, 11:18:21 AM »

Just saw Run Lola Run (Lola Rennt) last night, it was amazing.  Such a cool movie.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies