What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:03:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 626539 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1550 on: April 08, 2008, 10:32:53 AM »

The Marriage Circle (1923), with Adolphe Menjou, who plays an old man (Kirk Douglas with whom he co-stars in Paths of Glory, was only seven years old when this movie was made!), Marie Prevost and Monte Blue. It was Ernst Lubitsch's second American film after Rosita. Lubitsch supplied the young major studio Warner Brothers with some needed elegance and "class". Compared to sound film, the actors and actresses had to exaggerate their movements and expressions, and the use of close-up visuals of letters and telegrams, often shown twice, was quite extensive to move the plot.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1551 on: April 08, 2008, 10:50:46 AM »

Wow, I missed the longest high-brow film discussion ever to take place on here. Tongue

Blackmail surprised me, actually. Given how early it was and so on, it was surprisingly good to me. I really enjoyed it. Otherwise, Hitchcock is a mixed bag for me. While he was undoubtedly a genius in some respects I tend to find some flaws in other departments.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1552 on: April 09, 2008, 01:14:10 AM »

At the cinemas - Vantage Point a few weeks back. Very much enjoyed it.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #1553 on: April 09, 2008, 04:35:33 AM »

All the President's Men (1976)

It was the first time I saw this film and I thought it was really good. However, I did have problems with Robert Redford playing Bob Woodward. In my mind he didn't seem to have the right characteristics to play him, whilst Dustin Hoffman did have the right characteristics play Carl Burnstein, we can thank the hair for my reasoning's Wink.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1554 on: April 09, 2008, 12:37:59 PM »

Robert Rossen's All the King's Men (1949), starring Broderick Crawford, John Ireland, Joanne Dru, and Mercedes McCambridge.

"Willie's Law is Our Law!"
"Man was born in sin and conceived in corruption."
"Every man has a price. The louder he yells, the higher his price."
"We need to find a dummy. A dummy? Ha. That's what we've got."
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1555 on: April 10, 2008, 07:56:39 AM »
« Edited: April 10, 2008, 11:37:07 AM by hughento »

The History Boys

Lovely and Depressing. I will watch it again, i'm sure; I just don't feel like doing it to myself yet Cheesy

The next movies on the list are: Dig, Partition, White Chicks, The Phantom Tollbooth, Idiocracy, Saturday Night Fever, The Benchwarmers, Candy, The Band's Visit, The Prestige, Kokoda, Blades of Glory, Shrek 3, The Illustionist and The Producers.  Any ideas about which order?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1556 on: April 10, 2008, 10:31:53 AM »

Take that one OFF it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1557 on: April 10, 2008, 03:18:48 PM »

The History Boys

Lovely and Depressing. I will watch it again, i'm sure; I just don't feel like doing it to myself yet Cheesy

The next movies on the list are: Dig, Partition, White Chicks, The Phantom Tollbooth, Idiocracy, Saturday Night Fever, The Benchwarmers, Candy, The Band's Visit, The Prestige, Kokoda, Blades of Glory, Shrek 3, The Illustionist and The Producers.  Any ideas about which order?

Just...don't...watch...any...of...them...
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1558 on: April 10, 2008, 07:21:15 PM »

The History Boys

Those magician movies (The Illusionist and The Prestige) aren't bad.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1559 on: April 11, 2008, 02:26:17 AM »

In The Valley of Elah.

Good story, great message. Exactly the type of leftist movie I love.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1560 on: April 11, 2008, 02:44:18 AM »

The History Boys

So I've heard. But in the overall context, still not good enough to get the entire list up to watchworthyness. Wink
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1561 on: April 11, 2008, 05:52:58 AM »
« Edited: April 11, 2008, 05:54:55 AM by JohnFKennedy »

The History Boys

So I've heard. But in the overall context, still not good enough to get the entire list up to watchworthyness. Wink

Of the ones he mentioned I've seen The Illusionist, Shrek 3 and Blades of Glory. Thankfully I didn't have to pay to see the last. The Illusionist was certainly watchable and understandably so; it DOES have Ed Norton in it. Shrek 3 was poor and Blades of Glory was just plain painful.

EDIT: Just remembered a quick question: Gus have you seen You, the Living? I've heard good things and I was just wondering if you'd like to voice an opinion.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1562 on: April 11, 2008, 08:36:28 AM »

The History Boys

Of the ones he mentioned I've seen The Illusionist, Shrek 3 and Blades of Glory. Thankfully I didn't have to pay to see the last. The Illusionist was certainly watchable and understandably so; it DOES have Ed Norton in it. Shrek 3 was poor and Blades of Glory was just plain painful.

EDIT: Just remembered a quick question: Gus have you seen You, the Living? I've heard good things and I was just wondering if you'd like to voice an opinion.

No, sadly I haven't. I wanted to see it but then I couldn't convince anyone to go and I didn't have the time and so on...I've seen some of Roy Andersson's work though. I will be getting back to this interesting topic later but sadly have to run out right now! Smiley
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1563 on: April 11, 2008, 10:29:48 AM »

Over the Hedge
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #1564 on: April 11, 2008, 11:03:45 PM »

The History Boys

I remember seeing the History Boys a while back. I didn't know what to think of it. I thought it was too depressing, considering when it was out in the Cinemas they suggested it was a comedy, though it did have some comedic aspects. However, it did have a great soundtrack. The Clash, The Smiths, New Order all great bands.

The Dead Zone (1983)

A great film adaption of the Stephen King novel The Dead Zone. Christopher Walken was great as Johnny Smith and Martin Sheen was freaky as Greg Stillson. In all a great film. Though whilst I was watching it with my mum last night, I kept on pissing her off by saying 'THE ICE IS GONNA BREAK' and 'JOHNNY IS THAT YOU'.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1565 on: April 12, 2008, 11:30:03 AM »

There Will Be Blood
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1566 on: April 13, 2008, 04:55:18 PM »

*groan*  what happened to my lengthy post on Roy Andersson? Sad I must have misposted in some way...
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1567 on: April 13, 2008, 04:56:09 PM »

I saw 21 on Friday night.  It wasn't bad.

Then I saw Horton Hears a Who last night.  It was pretty cute lol

Rin-chan
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1568 on: April 13, 2008, 05:04:07 PM »

Da Vinci Code (currently on Encore West)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1569 on: April 13, 2008, 10:06:30 PM »

I saw Prom Night and a good chunk of 21Prom Night was fun and I really want to see the rest of 21.

Which "Prom Night"? 1980 or 2008?

I saw "1408" last night starring John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson. That Stephen King is one sick puppy...
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #1570 on: April 13, 2008, 11:31:59 PM »

There Will Be Blood

It was great, I think I might even buy it
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #1571 on: April 14, 2008, 02:14:05 AM »

Capricorn One (1978)

What can I say. Sunday afternoon films are dodgy and so is Capricorn One. OJ Simpson as an astronaut come on? The only realistic part about Capricorn One was when OJ wore two black gloves!
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1572 on: April 14, 2008, 02:25:30 AM »

I saw Prom Night and a good chunk of 21Prom Night was fun and I really want to see the rest of 21.
Which "Prom Night"? 1980 or 2008?

2008.  Old movies usually suck.

ntdo vree hsba eth 0s8, ubt tevo rfo cacmni!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1573 on: April 14, 2008, 10:53:17 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2008, 08:32:53 PM by Beet »

A Trip to the Moon (1902), a breakthrough 14-minute George Melies film for its use of tricks and special effects such as superimposition and disappearance/reappearance, anticipating mankind's actual trip to the moon 67 years later, and often considered the "first" science fiction movie. Melies himself starred as the lead astronomer/journeyman, and the film benefitted from Melies' background as a magician, as opposed to photographer as the Lumiere brothers were.

The Great Train Robbery (1903), Edwin S. Porter's movie is often called the first Western with a fully defined narrative structure. It features things such as chase scenes, cross-cutting, and a man firing a pistol straight at the screen! Though with the amount of smoke that goes up and without sound or suspense, it's not scary to the modern viewer.

Nerone (1909), or "Nero. Or the Fall of Rome." A pretty crappy movie, but one gets to see what it's like to have a big costume drama with a lot of actors many years before Birth of a Nation.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1574 on: April 14, 2008, 09:04:42 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2008, 09:07:09 PM by Beet »

Night of the Hunter (1955), not your typical slasher as the title and synopsis would suggest, this is mostly about the struggle of two kids, brother and sister, to hide some money from an escaped convict who is out to get it. The best parts are the eerie landscape scenery when the kids are rowing down the river, and the part played by Lillian Gish when she is guarding the kids. And of course the "LOVE/HATE" tattooed on the fingers, famously parodied in The Simpsons. Apparently it's good because it's "lyric and expressionistic" and therefore influenced Scorcese, Lynch, the Coen brothers, and the like, even though the plotline is pretty straightforward.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies