What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:51:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 626408 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1250 on: January 20, 2008, 05:06:25 PM »

The Naked Gun (1988) & Borat (2006)

Two of the funniest films I have ever seen in my life.

Same here
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1251 on: January 20, 2008, 05:07:04 PM »

The Naked Gun (1988) & Borat (2006)

Two of the funniest films I have ever seen in my life.

Same here

Haven't watched either, but my friends say the latter is hilarious.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1252 on: January 20, 2008, 11:52:55 PM »

Deliverance

Powerful movie.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1253 on: January 21, 2008, 12:17:56 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2008, 12:28:09 AM by thefactor »

Not a movie, but the AFI recently released its latest top 100 movies. The huge number of changes just hurts its credibility, IMO. I guess there's never much consensus on what's considered the best movie, but when you have a well-known film like Vertigo (1958) jumping 50 places into the top ten, it kind of emphasizes how much the list is the product of a particular set of industry insiders at a particular moment in time. On the other hand, there's honesty to admitting that the critical community can change its mind profoundly, and I admire and respect that.

Raging Bull jumped 20 places to #4, which is absurd.
The Searchers (1956) jumped 84 places into the top 10, with growing recognition of its influence; but that's more of an artifact of 2007, IMO, than the film itself.
Birth of a Nation was removed from the list and replaced with Intolerance. Give me a f-cking break. Does the Godfather being at #2 mean an endorsement of the mafia? Then why would Birth of Nation be removed from the list? David Wark Griffith may or may not have been a racist, (see Intolerance and Broken Blossoms) but the industry should acknowledge the truth about its formative milestones- as Susan Faludi points out in The Terror Dream, Birth may have been simply tapping into the western/John-Wayne narrative on grand scale.

Edit:
I do like how they acknowledge that LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring was the most significant of the LOTR movies. It established the basic premises not only for the plot and themes of the next two films but the very notion of such an open-ended trilogy (the Star Wars trilogy, for example, ended with the blowing up of the Death Star, not the heroes journeying off into uncertainty) after a three-hour feature. It took a big risk and basically established the success of the entire trilogy.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #1254 on: January 21, 2008, 01:03:30 AM »

Atonement.  Had no clue what it was about before going in.  Beautiful film.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1255 on: January 21, 2008, 02:09:29 AM »

What the hell is the big deal with Atonement? Looks like a chick flick to me. I'd rather go to 27 Dresses than that, at least it might be funny.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1256 on: January 21, 2008, 02:11:12 AM »

Not a movie, but the AFI recently released its latest top 100 movies. The huge number of changes just hurts its credibility, IMO. I guess there's never much consensus on what's considered the best movie, but when you have a well-known film like Vertigo (1958) jumping 50 places into the top ten, it kind of emphasizes how much the list is the product of a particular set of industry insiders at a particular moment in time. On the other hand, there's honesty to admitting that the critical community can change its mind profoundly, and I admire and respect that.

Raging Bull jumped 20 places to #4, which is absurd.
The Searchers (1956) jumped 84 places into the top 10, with growing recognition of its influence; but that's more of an artifact of 2007, IMO, than the film itself.
Birth of a Nation was removed from the list and replaced with Intolerance. Give me a f-cking break. Does the Godfather being at #2 mean an endorsement of the mafia? Then why would Birth of Nation be removed from the list? David Wark Griffith may or may not have been a racist, (see Intolerance and Broken Blossoms) but the industry should acknowledge the truth about its formative milestones- as Susan Faludi points out in The Terror Dream, Birth may have been simply tapping into the western/John-Wayne narrative on grand scale.

Edit:
I do like how they acknowledge that LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring was the most significant of the LOTR movies. It established the basic premises not only for the plot and themes of the next two films but the very notion of such an open-ended trilogy (the Star Wars trilogy, for example, ended with the blowing up of the Death Star, not the heroes journeying off into uncertainty) after a three-hour feature. It took a big risk and basically established the success of the entire trilogy.

Raging Bull at #4 is f**king ridiculous, no question.

Also ridiculous: Doctor Zhivago is off.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #1257 on: January 21, 2008, 04:08:21 AM »

Nixon (1995)

It was a brilliant film. Oliver Stone selected such a great cast and filmed it with a touch of class. The only problem I had with the film was it's entirety. It went for TOO long. But that's Oliver Stone for you Wink.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1258 on: January 21, 2008, 02:19:53 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2008, 02:38:34 PM by D18. »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Original AFI List was such a joke I can't imagine people care that much. The real purpose in this exercise is imo to expunge the memory of that awful list (Forrest Gump but no Blade Runner... lol)

EDIT: Having looked at it via wikipedia I claim that the new list is an even bigger joke. Getting rid of The Manchurian Candidate and The Third Man (even if I do think it's a little overrated) for the likes of Spartacus, The Sixth Sense, A Night at the Opera, All The President's Men, Lord of the Rings and most unbelievably of all Titanic!!!. (And still keep Forrest Gump

Okay they added in Blade Runner, but where's Paths of Glory, Kiss Me Deadly, Rebecca, Days of Heaven At least one Movie by Lynch and Cronenberg, Once Upon a time in the West or Once Upon a time in America - if either of the latter two count, to give more deserving examples.

In short, AFI list = Pseudo-Populist humbug for the Pseudo-sophiscated crowd.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #1259 on: January 21, 2008, 05:21:50 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Original AFI List was such a joke I can't imagine people care that much. The real purpose in this exercise is imo to expunge the memory of that awful list (Forrest Gump but no Blade Runner... lol)

EDIT: Having looked at it via wikipedia I claim that the new list is an even bigger joke. Getting rid of The Manchurian Candidate and The Third Man (even if I do think it's a little overrated) for the likes of Spartacus, The Sixth Sense, A Night at the Opera, All The President's Men, Lord of the Rings and most unbelievably of all Titanic!!!. (And still keep Forrest Gump

Okay they added in Blade Runner, but where's Paths of Glory, Kiss Me Deadly, Rebecca, Days of Heaven At least one Movie by Lynch and Cronenberg, Once Upon a time in the West or Once Upon a time in America - if either of the latter two count, to give more deserving examples.

In short, AFI list = Pseudo-Populist humbug for the Pseudo-sophiscated crowd.

Hey, I liked Spartacus.  But, yeah...Dr. Zhivago was unbelievable, and should be reinstated posthaste.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #1260 on: January 21, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »

What the hell is the big deal with Atonement? Looks like a chick flick to me. I'd rather go to 27 Dresses than that, at least it might be funny.

Atonement is both A. a chick flick, and B. not a comedy.  Really, really not a comedy (though there are a few funny moments in it).  Without giving too much away, it's about a girl who had her sister's boyfriend arrested and shipped off to war under false pretenses coming to terms with what she did.  So, yeah, you probably wouldn't like it.

It's a great movie.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1261 on: January 21, 2008, 06:06:17 PM »

Cloverfield
Really good, and the handheld-camcorder thing worked really well. My only criticism would be that there were plenty of questions left unanswered.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1262 on: January 21, 2008, 06:44:51 PM »

Juno was pretty disappointing.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1263 on: January 21, 2008, 07:07:42 PM »

Legend

It was disappointing. I liked other Sci Fi flicks starring Will Smith, but not this one.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #1264 on: January 21, 2008, 09:23:18 PM »

Legend

It was disappointing. I liked other Sci Fi flicks starring Will Smith, but not this one.

I just saw that today myself. One of the most boring films I have ever seen. It went nowhere. Thank God I saw it on a counterfeited DVD otherwise I would have wasted 20 bucks.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1265 on: January 21, 2008, 09:49:45 PM »

'There Will be Blood' -it was a good movie, although I am still trying to make sense of it....   Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1266 on: January 22, 2008, 02:47:58 AM »

I saw City of God again with my roommates and some of their visiting friends, and I liked it a lot more than I did last time.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1267 on: January 22, 2008, 05:01:05 AM »

The whole point of NCFOM (and if you haven't seen it yet and don't want to read any spoilers don't read any further) isn't about the drug money or even Chigurgh but rather Tommy Lee Jones's character deciding to retire. The story is his basically just his view of the incident that finally did it, he doesn't play a huge role in the actual story but that's not really the point. After viewing the true evil in Chigurgh he comes to the conclusion that the world has developed so far into evil and wickedness that it's not worth fighting for anymore, basically what the title means (No World For Old Men would probably be more accurate though I understand it's taken from a poem or something). That sounds like a nihilistic viewpoint to me. Oh and it's violent and bloody. Just not as cartoonish as Sin City.

You know a paper comparing the meaning of the endings of NCFOM and Se7en would be something really interesting to write for a film class or something. Similar themes but completely different conclusions (and endings too in the characters in question, Tommy Lee Jones in NCFOM and Morgan Freeman in Se7en)

It doesn't glorify violence and it also doesn't agree with the violent characters.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1268 on: January 22, 2008, 05:04:46 AM »

Atonement is both A. a chick flick, and B. not a comedy.  Really, really not a comedy (though there are a few funny moments in it).  Without giving too much away, it's about a girl who had her sister's boyfriend arrested and shipped off to war under false pretenses coming to terms with what she did.  So, yeah, you probably wouldn't like it.

It's a great movie.

I also really liked Atonement.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1269 on: January 22, 2008, 12:51:09 PM »

The whole point of NCFOM (and if you haven't seen it yet and don't want to read any spoilers don't read any further) isn't about the drug money or even Chigurgh but rather Tommy Lee Jones's character deciding to retire. The story is his basically just his view of the incident that finally did it, he doesn't play a huge role in the actual story but that's not really the point. After viewing the true evil in Chigurgh he comes to the conclusion that the world has developed so far into evil and wickedness that it's not worth fighting for anymore, basically what the title means (No World For Old Men would probably be more accurate though I understand it's taken from a poem or something). That sounds like a nihilistic viewpoint to me. Oh and it's violent and bloody. Just not as cartoonish as Sin City.

You know a paper comparing the meaning of the endings of NCFOM and Se7en would be something really interesting to write for a film class or something. Similar themes but completely different conclusions (and endings too in the characters in question, Tommy Lee Jones in NCFOM and Morgan Freeman in Se7en)

It doesn't glorify violence and it also doesn't agree with the violent characters.

Man you and Gully are really just whiny Joe Lieberman-clones.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1270 on: January 22, 2008, 01:05:10 PM »

Taxi Driver, slightly overrated, but very good
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1271 on: January 22, 2008, 11:28:16 PM »

No Country doesn't quite glorify violence in the traditional sense. Pain and suffering are not glossed over. Deaths are portrayed individually (for the most part) and happen to characters you care about. There is no larger purpose that the audience can rally around to justify the violence. So in that sense its a very realistic portrayal of violence.

On the other hand I can see where BRTD is coming from. The coolest thing about this movie is watching Chigurgh kill people and waiting to see if he does or does not. The coolest character in this movie is Chigurgh as well. He gets the best lines. Watching violence or anticipation of violence is just about the only reason someone would go to see this, and it is billed after all as entertainment. In some sense the realism only makes it more direct, to throw it even more in your face the following: We made this movie so you could watch this violence and enjoy it as an artistic masterpiece. So yes, in a way it is a very profound glorification of violence, more than perhaps any other film.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1272 on: January 23, 2008, 01:37:02 AM »

Cloverfield

is alright.  good idea that is well executed bogged down by a crummy script and so-so performances.  entertaining though.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1273 on: January 23, 2008, 10:07:19 AM »

The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

It's pretty good - could have needed a better explanation of the characters earlier on; plus a bit of editing during the middle.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1274 on: January 23, 2008, 12:06:28 PM »

Man you and Gully are really just whiny Joe Lieberman-clones.

Eh...if you're "accusing" me of wanting to prohibit violence in movies, you may want to know that I don't.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies