What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:28:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 628520 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: December 05, 2007, 03:44:26 AM »

The Shawshank Redemption

One of the best films I have ever seen in my life. Morgan Freeman was excellent in that film.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1126 on: December 05, 2007, 09:21:58 AM »

oh, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

it was good.  at least, really well acted.  the story had some shortcomings, what with how they decided to set up a lot of it, but aside from that there aren't many quibbles.  just a kind of by-the-numbers movie editted to seem more interesting than it was.  Hawke was great though.

How was Marissa Tomei? (you know what I mean)

you'll be satisfied.  the girl does not like to wear a shirt in this movie.  there are at least 3 topless scenes (i was more satisfied with ethan hawke though.)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1127 on: December 06, 2007, 12:36:00 AM »

The Night Listener.

It was OK, good performances from Robin Williams and Toni Collette. The only problem is all the of the twists were fairly obvious.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1128 on: December 06, 2007, 12:39:15 AM »

The Mist. Good movie based on a Stephen King short story.

They made the middle/end of the movie a lot more depressing than it actually was in the book.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1129 on: December 07, 2007, 01:11:41 AM »

The Golden Compass

People protesting this movie is about the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long while. The only thing for religious people to get upset about is the manifestation of the soul as another entity which is depicted as free thinking and as a separate "being". The Magisterium is portrayed more as Big Brother than as the RCC or some religious body. I felt the movie had a far, far greater anti-authority message than anti-religion.

On an entertainment level it held my interest despite knowing the story and had ridiculously good CGI. The animals looked almost exactly like they were real creatures.

The plot jumped too much and never really flowed like some movies do, so I don't feel like I was ever caught and taken along on the ride like, for example, a Lord of the Rings movie would. The also think the content of the movie was adult, but the way it was presented was aimed at children, something that will probably kill its later weeks at the box office.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1130 on: December 09, 2007, 01:38:52 AM »

The Golden Compass

People protesting this movie is about the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long while. The only thing for religious people to get upset about is the manifestation of the soul as another entity which is depicted as free thinking and as a separate "being". The Magisterium is portrayed more as Big Brother than as the RCC or some religious body. I felt the movie had a far, far greater anti-authority message than anti-religion.

The Magisterium headquarters looks like Vatican City, and its officials are dressed like clergy. They are trying to suppress the findings of a prominent scientist. Plus, the Magisterium is associated with the original sin myth later in the film.

The Magesterium troops reminded me of storm troops guarding a concentration camp, Ms. Coulter had a 1930's style haircut and travelled around in a zeppelin. The good guys are the English kids, an American ("it's your war too, although you don't realize it yet"), and a 'multinational' force including a bear. World War 2 again? Go figure.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I've stopped noticing CGI a long time ago, but it is remarkably good.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There have been a number of kids films with more adult themes that have come out this decade, or kids films that also appeal to adults, some more successful than others. It started as far back as Shrek which lightly put a different twist on traditional fairy tales. On the other hand you have films like Pan's Labyrinth which were basically adult films not for kids at all, but still try to fit into the fair tale structure. Somewhere in the middle are the later Harry Potter movies. Then there are kids films which are also enjoyable for adults like Finding Nemo. The kid/adult split is has definitely gotten blurred.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #1131 on: December 09, 2007, 07:16:22 AM »

Ghostwatch.

Not a movie per se, more of a TV drama/docu-drama pastiche, but still... one of the creepiest things I've seen in ages.

http://www.stomptokyo.com/badmoviereport/reviews/G/ghostwatch.html
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1132 on: December 11, 2007, 01:11:38 AM »

Atonement

having read the book, i guess it was hard to not be underwhelmed.  because the book is amazing.  i think the performances were perfect across the board, with McAvoy standing out, and Ronan being very good as well.  Knightley really just didn't have much to do.  the problem is, the story is just so...literary.  so many of the ethical questions come about via the nature of authorship, and trying to translate this to film is not seamless.  the ending especially shows this.  some really good filmmaking, it just couldn't touch the novel.

A-
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1133 on: December 11, 2007, 01:13:43 AM »

Atonement

having read the book, i guess it was hard to not be underwhelmed.  because the book is amazing.  i think the performances were perfect across the board, with McAvoy standing out, and Ronan being very good as well.  Knightley really just didn't have much to do.  the problem is, the story is just so...literary.  so many of the ethical questions come about via the nature of authorship, and trying to translate this to film is not seamless.  the ending especially shows this.  some really good filmmaking, it just couldn't touch the novel.

A-

Do you go only to independent movies now?

If so though, that's a good thing.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1134 on: December 11, 2007, 01:44:44 AM »

i go to the ones i think are going to be good.  the best theater by us has a $6 student deal - ticket, popcorn, and drink.  more than reasonable, every monday.  i graduated, but i still flash the ID.

and i don't really think it's "independent" so much as .... i don't know the adjective.  the last five weeks have been:

Atonement
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
I'm Not There
No Country For Old Men
Lars and the Real Girl

ok so maybe fake snobbish.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1135 on: December 11, 2007, 01:49:15 AM »
« Edited: December 11, 2007, 01:51:03 AM by I Never Really Missed It Until It Was Gone for Good »

Yeah, those are all independent films. Just ones with a bit higher budget and wider release.

At least since I graduated high school one of the theaters in my hometown has doubled its screens and thus started showing some of those movies (I saw No Country For Old Men there over Thanksgiving break), thus meaning I should be able to at least see some decent movies when I'm there for a month (most likely I'll be going to Juno and There Will Be Blood). After that of course I'll be in Minneapolis where EVERYTHING plays, even super-indie movies like Brick and NC-17 ones like Lust, Caution. Another thing to get excited about.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1136 on: December 11, 2007, 07:25:54 AM »

Last Weekend I saw:

Cidade de Deus (City of God)
and
American Gangster

Both were okay. I suppose. Not quite living up to the hype; but adequate none the less.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1137 on: December 11, 2007, 08:04:44 AM »

Beowulf (in 3-D).  Couldn't find an IMAX close enough that was showing it.  Sad  The movie itself was very good, and a must see in 3-D if you can.  The artists out-did themselves with the technology.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1138 on: December 11, 2007, 09:18:37 AM »

The Mist
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #1139 on: December 11, 2007, 06:16:36 PM »

Election

I found the film quite enjoyable, it had humor and quite a few sex scenes. It did get me wondering what is the difference between Morals and Ethics.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1140 on: December 12, 2007, 03:33:02 PM »

Election

I found the film quite enjoyable, it had humor and quite a few sex scenes. It did get me wondering what is the difference between Morals and Ethics.

If you're actually looking for an answer, one is Latin and one is Greek for pretty much the same thing. Some people load them with different meanings though. And I thought Election was pretty good too.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1141 on: December 13, 2007, 12:10:11 AM »

To Live and Die in L.A.

It was pretty enjoyable although one has to ignore the often clunky dialogue, occasionally wooden acting and the annoying 80s soundtrack. Would've been better if made 10 years earlier or 10 years later. But still enjoyable.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1142 on: December 13, 2007, 01:18:28 AM »

Michael Clayton

you know, it was well-acted and all, but it really amounted to not much.  Swinton's my standout of the cast.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1143 on: December 15, 2007, 01:58:20 AM »

I Am Legend.

I've never seen a movie with more "jump" scenes, or ones used as effectively. This could give an old person a heart attack. Very tense and shocking, and Will Smith gave a great performance as a guy slowly going insane.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1144 on: December 15, 2007, 11:34:31 AM »

Requiem for a Dream

Absurd and depressing.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #1145 on: December 15, 2007, 12:57:01 PM »

Enchanted.  Better than expected.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1146 on: December 15, 2007, 04:52:51 PM »

Who's Camus Anyway?

He was a French existentialist. Disturbing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1147 on: December 15, 2007, 04:56:28 PM »

Who's Camus Anyway?

He was a French existentialist. Disturbing.

He was also the name of a troll on another board. Now that troll is all I ever think about when I hear the name.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1148 on: December 15, 2007, 10:41:26 PM »

Requiem for a Dream

Absurd and depressing.

yet amazing.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1149 on: December 16, 2007, 11:05:38 AM »

Hard Candy
A psychological thriller from last year about an encounter between a 14 year old girl and a 32 year old man who meet after chatting online. Don't want to say more as would inevitably give away plot best left discovered on sight.

Really like it. Good story, well written, very well acted by both main actors and solidly directed. Strongly recommend.

It's a Wonderful Life
First time I've seen it. Good story which gets its message across well. James Steward is solid in the lead role. I felt the ending was overly sentimental, but apart from that it was very good.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies