What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:45:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 628271 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: March 24, 2007, 03:51:27 PM »

300. Fairly Boring aside from the visuals, which were amazing obviously - and is it just me or aren't all of Frank Miller's films at their root core just very god damn conservative? (or perhaps I'm doing what BRTD did with Arnie Flicks - though Miller seems to be slightly more intelligent than Arnie. I think.)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #651 on: March 24, 2007, 03:55:28 PM »

Reply #667 -- I had to get it off 666 Smiley

Anyway, the last movie I saw was the old John Wayne classic Hatari
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #652 on: March 24, 2007, 04:31:57 PM »

The Departed. Pretty good, although nowhere near as brilliant as Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, or Goodfellas. But, ugh, why can't Bostonians talk like normal human beings?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #653 on: March 24, 2007, 07:53:11 PM »

Eragon, it seems like they cut a LOT out of that movie, it had a lot of potential but unfortunately it didn't seem like the plot line was very deep in some parts of the film. Also, our only movie theater in town closed, now we don't have a theater within 15 miles of here, this is the first time since 1920 that Plant City hasn't had a movie theater.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #654 on: March 24, 2007, 09:32:33 PM »

The Dead Zone.  Though I haven't read the book, I can guess that they just tried stretching an episode into a movie to try and cover all the necessary ground.  Kinda disappointed on that basis, but the movie itself wasn't bad.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #655 on: March 25, 2007, 01:43:49 AM »

I rented Flyboys tonight. It was pretty pitiful all around and I quit watching. I'm going to watch The Departed and Borat tommorrow.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #656 on: March 25, 2007, 05:56:46 AM »

300. Fairly Boring aside from the visuals, which were amazing obviously - and is it just me or aren't all of Frank Miller's films at their root core just very god damn conservative?

300, achieves what many had thought impossible: making a case for Bush’s war in Iraq so clear, distinct, and fanatical that I half expected an Army recruiting station to be erected at the theater’s exits. It’s the cinematic equivalent of a battleground orgasm; a homoerotic parade of tight abs, facial hair, oiled chests, leather, steel, gritting teeth, and phallic weaponry so overpowering that it’s just about the best movie ever made with jingoistic intent.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #657 on: March 25, 2007, 06:14:37 AM »

Lol. I wasn't thinking of Iraq at all, but the attitude that Miller shows in his films strike me as... well... fascist, to say the least.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #658 on: March 26, 2007, 04:58:15 PM »

Zodiac: a bit long, but still a good movie and very entertaining if you like that sort of movie (though the previews at the theater were all for scary movies and scared the Roll Eyes out of me).

A Few Good Men: Incredably good movie Cheesy

Babal: horrible is an understament I have no clue what on earth the appeal was in this film Angry .
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #659 on: March 26, 2007, 10:35:43 PM »

Borat lived up to the hype.
Rococo4

« Reply #660 on: March 27, 2007, 12:05:46 AM »

just rewatched "Walk The Line."  Still very good.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #661 on: March 27, 2007, 12:10:09 AM »

Return of the Jedi
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #662 on: March 27, 2007, 03:09:19 PM »

An Inconvenient Truth. Very powerful, and it kind of got to me. I won't start recycling of course but I'll support Gore if he runs.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #663 on: March 27, 2007, 07:24:47 PM »

I don't see what's wrong with romanticizing warfare.  It's a fact of human nature.  A society that neglects the art of war, in all facets, seals its doom.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #664 on: March 27, 2007, 07:32:26 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2007, 07:34:22 PM by Supersoulty »

I fail to see the real connection, other than a made up alarmist one, esspecially since about 70% of the people I know who really liked the movie are libs.

It is a fact, BTW, that "Eastern" and Western cultures are distictively different.  Most of you woul dprobably not like to live under an Eastern way of thinking, esspecially not before those cultures were injected with Western thought.  The fact that the Greeks first took a stand against, and then defeated the Persians is the reason that we have real philosophy, real laws and we don't all whorship kings as being gods.  I don't see what's wrong with just accpeting that fact.  And it is also a fact that Sparta was an uber-militaristic culture that, unlike the Persians, fought because they wanted to, not because they were forced into it by a "god-king".
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #665 on: March 27, 2007, 08:16:38 PM »

I saw "Reign Over Me" yesterday, and was dazzled.  It was a remarkable film.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #666 on: March 27, 2007, 08:34:47 PM »

It is a fact, BTW, that "Eastern" and Western cultures are distictively different.

Yeah, but what is East and what is West? Personally I don't think of Achaemenid (or modern day for that matter) Iran as being, in any way, "Eastern".
And if East stands for opression and West for freedom (which seems to be what you're getting at), then Sparta was clearly more "Eastern" than Persia.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You know, the Persians didn't actually have god-kings; by this point they were Zoroastrians (and would remain so until they were converted to the youngest branch of the worshippers of the God of Abraham).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I was unaware that killing people because you enjoy doing it is something to be praised.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #667 on: March 27, 2007, 08:46:39 PM »

wtf?  I think you're thinking about the movie a wee bit too much.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #668 on: March 27, 2007, 10:05:21 PM »

Watched Rocky Balboa on the flight back from London.

EXTREMELY GOOD MOVIE!  HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #669 on: March 27, 2007, 10:10:12 PM »

The Departed
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #670 on: March 28, 2007, 09:18:51 AM »

Yeah, but what is East and what is West?

That's easy: East is East and West is West and never shall the two meet.

Wink

The Spartans were what Lenin would have called useful idiots. They did a good job in helping to save a culture they really didn't have much to do with. Besides that they pretty much sucked. I believe they even allied themselves with Persia at some point further into the future. And, of course, put an end to Athens which was the real heart of Greek culture.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #671 on: March 28, 2007, 05:33:39 PM »

Last movie I saw was 300, very good movie, will have to buy it when it comes out on DVD.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #672 on: March 28, 2007, 06:53:32 PM »

The Departed was also a solid film.

Zulu was amazing too.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #673 on: March 30, 2007, 04:26:12 AM »

300, it was sh**t. OK fight scenes, good visuals, but the metaphor was very very VERY obvious and grating.

Basic idea, you have 300 perfect specimens of European manhood, along with a small group of cowardly, underprepared but still tolerated allies. They are fighting the evil council of five ugly men to go to war, and when they get there the enemies are all foreigners out to kill them and destroy their perfectly acceptable society. I also liked how the gods were dismissed by the Spartan ruler-polytheism is after all the devil.

The enemies comprise black africans, middle easterners and east asians. Plus, Xerxes is presented as a camp overlord.

I did give up watching shortly after the invincibles, so maybe it improved, but I somehow doubt that. Basically, sh**t film that deserves no recognition for anything other than some of the filmography.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #674 on: March 30, 2007, 01:12:42 PM »

300, it was sh**t. OK fight scenes, good visuals, but the metaphor was very very VERY obvious and grating.

Basic idea, you have 300 perfect specimens of European manhood, along with a small group of cowardly, underprepared but still tolerated allies. They are fighting the evil council of five ugly men to go to war, and when they get there the enemies are all foreigners out to kill them and destroy their perfectly acceptable society. I also liked how the gods were dismissed by the Spartan ruler-polytheism is after all the devil.

The enemies comprise black africans, middle easterners and east asians. Plus, Xerxes is presented as a camp overlord.

I did give up watching shortly after the invincibles, so maybe it improved, but I somehow doubt that. Basically, sh**t film that deserves no recognition for anything other than some of the filmography.

Yes.

@Kramer: Why do we need to glorify war? European culture since 1945 has created some of the happiness and most stable societies in the history of Earth - Without the need to glorify war. Unless you consider us decadent (and then watch me roll my eyes).

Also what Al said about the Persians and Spartans were entirely true, The Spartan society was a slave-dependant culture and as seen in the film was a brutal and degrading one, how anyone can praise a culture where just born babies are killed for appearing un-warrior like (it's not a fiction) is disgusting. The Persians were far more free than the Spartans or the Macedonians for that Matter (when Alexander conquered Persia he burned the major libaries and studies of Persian mystics and scientists aswell as the palaces and monuments of the conquered empire - one of the greatest loses in the history of civilisation).

In real life Leonidas and his gang were little more than glorified thugs brought up in a thuggish anti-human enviorment. There was no freedom in that society (and one can't point to Athens - Athens great civilizing achievements came later after the end of the Persian wars.)

Also Frank Miller also seems to have the mind of a fascist in that in both Sin City and 300 he celebrates a retarded and primitive version of "manliness" and meaninglessly thuggish violence, makes fun of queers (ie: Xerxes) and demeans women as eye candy, only important for their sexual role, and sees anything other as anti-civilization, decadent and corrupt.

I say "mind of a fascist" as Miller isn't sophisicated enough imo to become a true fascist.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies