Petition to the President of the Senate concerning the PPT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 02:24:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Petition to the President of the Senate concerning the PPT
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Petition to the President of the Senate concerning the PPT  (Read 3012 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2006, 01:34:47 AM »

In accordance with Article 8 Section 2 Clause 3 of the OPSR, I hereby call on my fellow Senators to join with me in this petition to have the President of the Senate conduct a vote of no-confidence in President pro tem Master Jedi.  We currently have an available debate slot and he has refused to open debate on a new piece of legislation despite such open slot. (Of the four pieces of legislation currently up for debate, the Electoral System Reform Bill, is in the fifth slot reserved for forum affairs legislation.) After various measures, both private and public, intended to prod our PPT into opening debate on a new bill in the open slot, I have no confidence in our current PPT to uphold the spirit of the OPSR, and therefore I must regretfully ask for the signatures of the necessary one-third of the Senate, upon which it will be the task of the President of the Senate conduct said vote of no confidence.

X Ernest
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 07:06:44 AM »

There are four pieces on the Senate floor which is required and the Electoral Reform is back in the fourth slot for now. There's not a lot of time left in which to discuss things so I'd rather not introduce something where nothing will happen and then have to discuss it all over again when we get four new people next session.

Sorry to say this Ernest but I've just lost almost all my respect for you with you doing this. Sad
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 01:59:25 PM »

Where does it say that you can move a piece of legislation that is in the extra slot back into a regular slot?  I see no such authorization in the OPSR.  Furthermore, why are you assuming a priori that nothing new can get passed?  We still have eight legislative days left in this session, Ten when you failed to use the open slot.  Legislation can pass in four days (three days of debate and one of voting) if the legislation proves uncontroversial, so there certainly is time to debate and pass other measures, if the Senate actually deigns to act. 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 02:56:49 PM »

Frankly, I agree with Ernest's interpretation of the OSPR concerning this matter.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 06:02:01 PM »

Given his now repeated attempts to make himself permanent PPT i sign this
X TexasGurl
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 06:03:51 PM »

Permanant PPT? I said I'd probably only serve 4 terms. That would depend on getting elected that many times which might not even happen.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 06:21:08 PM »

X Brian from Family Guy
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 06:22:54 PM »

You aren't a Senator yet.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 06:30:28 PM »

That's what I was going to say, but when Colin resigns from the Senate to take up the robes of an Associate Justice, if NEG FezzyFestoon appoints him to be Sentor for the few remaining days of the Senate, he could be.  In any case, I think it is safe to say who Brian will not be supporting for PPT of the Twefth Senate.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 02:10:04 AM »

In an attempt to force the consideration of pending legislation, especially as much should be genuinely non-controversial I support this petition.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 11:34:29 PM »

With the resignation of ex-Senator Wixted, the three signatures on this petition (TexasGurl, Peter Bell, and myself) now represent one-third of the Senate, so I call on President of the Senate Ebowed to fulfill his responsibilities under the OPSR.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 12:40:16 AM »

With the resignation of ex-Senator Wixted, the three signatures on this petition (TexasGurl, Peter Bell, and myself) now represent one-third of the Senate, so I call on President of the Senate Ebowed to fulfill his responsibilities under the OPSR.

As Acting President, I have not performed the duties of the President of the Senate as I cannot hold more than one position at the same time - hence why the procedural duties in the Senate have been delegated solely to MasterJedi for the second half of this month.  Therefore I cannot open this vote unless someone is able to shed light on whether or not I can resume as President of the Senate.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 12:22:15 PM »

Therefore I cannot open this vote unless someone is able to shed light on whether or not I can resume as President of the Senate.
Informally and unofficially, I see nothing in the law that prevents you from performing your duties as presiding officer of the Senate. Article II, Section 3, clause 1 says that in the President's absence, his "powers and duties shall be discharged by the Vice President." This implies that, even though you are exercising presidential powers, you are still Vice President.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 01:52:55 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2006, 01:55:10 PM by Samuel Spadestein (GM) »

In the writing of the OSPR, I had assumed what Emsworth has pointed out is correct, and therefore never bothered to add anything concerning a situation such as this.

Nonetheless, I find this blatant flouting of laws by the PPT and dropping of the ball by Prez of the Senate to be quite disturbing and would urge both my Senators to vote against Masterjedi when the next round of PPT elections come up next week.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2006, 03:28:10 PM »

Nonetheless, I find this blatant flouting of laws by the PPT and dropping of the ball by Prez of the Senate to be quite disturbing

Have a cry about it, then.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2006, 03:42:21 PM »

Nonetheless, I find this blatant flouting of laws by the PPT and dropping of the ball by Prez of the Senate to be quite disturbing

Sure, whatever, dipsh**t.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2006, 03:46:19 PM »

Sure, whatever, dipsh**t.

Don't take your PMS out on the rest of us.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2006, 03:53:35 PM »

The OPSR definitely needs some revisions.  We have a definite lack of clarity that has allowed for differing interpretations of the fifth slot provision.  Worse, Ebowed',s interpretation of the limitations of the Vice Presidency has effectively left no way for an interpretation of Senate rules other than the PPT's to be brought into effect when we have an acting President.  About the only option left would be a drastic attempt at an impeachment or an expulsion.  Ebowed',s rather unnecessarily caustic jibes at Sam just now caused me to consider trying an impeachment of the Vice President, but under the current rules, that would be considered as just another Bill, with no way to get it voted on before the end of the session anyway.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2006, 03:55:11 PM »

And of course while I was writing that, Ebowed opened the vote, rending my points largely nonsense. Sad
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2006, 04:35:47 PM »

I think we're seeing what a cocksucker Ebowed will be as President.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2006, 05:02:21 PM »

You'd try to impeach someone for making negative comments?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2006, 05:05:15 PM »

You'd try to impeach someone for making negative comments?

Apparently, pretty sad to me.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2006, 09:42:23 PM »

I think we're seeing what a cocksucker Ebowed will be as President.

Yep, I don't know exactly where his jackass comments came from earlier.

I guess he just can't take criticism.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2006, 09:46:45 PM »

It's good to see that our elected leaders are displaying behaviour that would keep them held back in the second grade.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2006, 10:58:05 PM »

I was only considering it in the first place to establish what the extent of Vice Presidential responsibilities are when a Vice President is serving as acting President.  I don't consider Ebowed blameless in the name calling, but we don't have a mechanism to impeach a GM IIRC.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies