CA-SEN 2022: The thread about Kamala's likely replacement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 09:48:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-SEN 2022: The thread about Kamala's likely replacement
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17
Poll
Question: Who do you think would be her successor?
Eric Garcetti

Adam Schiff

Antonio Villaraigosa

London Breed

Katie Porter

Xavier Beccera

Gavin Newsom

Sam Liccardo

Fiona Ma

Alex Padilla

Eleni Kounalakis

Ted Lieu

Scott Wiener

Kevin De Leon

Tom Steyer

Someone Else (specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 173

Author Topic: CA-SEN 2022: The thread about Kamala's likely replacement  (Read 23501 times)
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2020, 11:51:21 AM »

I thought Newsom would choose a minority candidate. He has an incentive to do so.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2020, 09:39:44 PM »

Beccera
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2020, 10:16:02 PM »

Adam Schiff is gonna lose seniority in the House if he goes for Harris seat, he is gonna wait for 2024 to see if Feinstein retires
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2020, 11:13:51 PM »

Adam Schiff is gonna lose seniority in the House if he goes for Harris seat, he is gonna wait for 2024 to see if Feinstein retires
No he's going to be in Bidens Cabinet
impactreps
dcushmanjva
Rookie
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2020, 05:00:04 PM »

IMO the only possibility of Dems not maintaining the Senate seat in a 2021/2022 special is if it's a Biden presidency and Kevin Faulconer pulls a Poizner and runs as a NPP. Even then I have a hard time believing he will get more than 45%, but it would be the only chance for a non-Dem to win statewide.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2020, 03:19:52 PM »

I'd love to see Pelosi in the senate
eb782
Rookie

« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2020, 06:00:28 PM »

I think that Jimmy Gomez would be a leading candidate that you left out.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2020, 06:08:48 PM »

I think that Jimmy Gomez would be a leading candidate that you left out.

Eh, maybe. He's my rep and I'm a big fan, but I think there a lot of people more likely to get it than him.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2020, 07:42:22 PM »

I’m disappointed that you left my boy Cenk out of the poll.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2020, 09:09:51 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2020, 09:27:10 PM by MarkD »

I think Newsom would be very interested in not only appointing a person of color, but also add in that the appointee will likely be pretty young, and thus would be capable of holding on to the senate seat for 5 or 6 full terms, the longest-serving Senator from California in its history. (Hiram Johnson served as US Senator from California for 28 years, and that's the current record). So in this poll and given these choices, I am thinking London Breed is the most likely replacement. She'll turn 46 later this year. (I think the youngest Senator California ever had was John Tunney, who was 36 when he became Senator. At least, he seems to be the youngest in the last 108 years, since the popular election of Senators.)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2020, 02:10:09 AM »

I think Newsom would be very interested in not only appointing a person of color, but also add in that the appointee will likely be pretty young, and thus would be capable of holding on to the senate seat for 5 or 6 full terms, the longest-serving Senator from California in its history. (Hiram Johnson served as US Senator from California for 28 years, and that's the current record). So in this poll and given these choices, I am thinking London Breed is the most likely replacement. She'll turn 46 later this year. (I think the youngest Senator California ever had was John Tunney, who was 36 when he became Senator. At least, he seems to be the youngest in the last 108 years, since the popular election of Senators.)

Why would he appoint another Bay Area politician?
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2020, 08:36:13 AM »

"Why would a moderate Bay Area politician reward a fellow moderate Bay Area politician?"
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2020, 09:51:35 AM »

"Why would a moderate Bay Area politician reward a fellow moderate Bay Area politician?"

Exactly, there is no reason politically to do that. Appointing someone from SoCal, especially a Latino politician, makes much more sense.
Corbyn is (no longer) the leader of the Labour Party
DANNT

« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2020, 09:55:39 AM »

Flaming hot take: Newsom appoints Jerry Brown as a place holder.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2020, 10:21:36 AM »

It's still remarkable that California hasn't had a Latino/Hispanic Senator yet. Maybe, Newsom would take that into consideration.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2020, 12:41:33 PM »

I think it would Xavier Becerra. After Sanchez, Villaraigosa, and de Leon losing I think it's times the Democrat nominate a Hispanic to the Senate or the Governor position before creating a White Quarterback situation. Becerra has enough connections on the Hill and a friendly enough relationship with Newsom to get the position. Besides the only reason, Beccera took the job of CA AG in the first place was to fight Trump on the Border wall anyway.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2020, 03:27:56 PM »

That---could actually work.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2020, 07:15:02 PM »

Ted Lieu would be epic.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2020, 01:09:37 PM »

This has actually crossed my my mind as well. I think Newsom picking a placeholder is an underrated possibility given the demand there is going to for this seat among CA Dems. I wonder what the odds are of Barbara Boxer being briefly dragged out of retirement are in such a scenario?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2020, 01:23:57 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2020, 01:28:28 PM by ERM64man »

This has actually crossed my my mind as well. I think Newsom picking a placeholder is an underrated possibility given the demand there is going to for this seat among CA Dems. I wonder what the odds are of Barbara Boxer being briefly dragged out of retirement are in such a scenario?

Not likely. I think Newsom wants a minority Senator. John Chiang, Xavier Becerra, or Fiona Ma would be strong candidates. What about Ricardo Lara, who would be the first openly gay Senator from California? Or would Lara not be a strong enough candidate (he won by less than 5% against a Republican).
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2020, 01:32:47 PM »

If he goes that route Brown seems a bit more likely. He's more popular and respected, and Boxer kind of sucks anyway.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2020, 04:19:25 PM »

Not likely. I think Newsom wants a minority Senator. John Chiang, Xavier Becerra, or Fiona Ma would be strong candidates. What about Ricardo Lara, who would be the first openly gay Senator from California? Or would Lara not be a strong enough candidate (he won by less than 5% against a Republican).

Well, Poizner is a special case.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2020, 08:23:02 PM »

Because the race and age of the politician, and how prominant of an office do they already hold, will matter far more than what region they come from.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2020, 08:29:33 PM »

Kevin de Leon.

But Harris won't be VP, she would be AG.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2020, 08:39:05 PM »

Kevin de Leon.

But Harris won't be VP, she would be AG.
De Leon couldn’t win his home districts. He did worse than every other statewide primary winner in 2018, failing to get 15%. He would lose if he were appointed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies