CA-SEN 2022: The thread about Kamala's likely replacement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 08:36:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-SEN 2022: The thread about Kamala's likely replacement
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17
Poll
Question: Who do you think would be her successor?
Eric Garcetti

Adam Schiff

Antonio Villaraigosa

London Breed

Katie Porter

Xavier Beccera

Gavin Newsom

Sam Liccardo

Fiona Ma

Alex Padilla

Eleni Kounalakis

Ted Lieu

Scott Wiener

Kevin De Leon

Tom Steyer

Someone Else (specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 173

Author Topic: CA-SEN 2022: The thread about Kamala's likely replacement  (Read 23456 times)
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: November 09, 2020, 10:36:38 PM »

I want someone like Jerry Brown or Barbara Boxer to be appointed as a placeholder with a special election being called by the end of the year.

Yeah if there's one way for Newsom to assert dominance, it's by adding another old white has been to the Senate.

It's actually the opposite: Brown would probably just be a placeholder and Boxer definitely would. This would be delegating more responsibility in the long term to CA voters.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #301 on: November 09, 2020, 10:37:57 PM »

I want someone like Jerry Brown or Barbara Boxer to be appointed as a placeholder with a special election being called by the end of the year.

Yeah if there's one way for Newsom to assert dominance, it's by adding another old white has been to the Senate.

It's actually the opposite: Brown would probably just be a placeholder and Boxer definitely would. This would be delegating more responsibility in the long term to CA voters.

CA doesn't want or need a placeholder, we need someone to represent us. The last two Senate elections have been D vs D, if the voters want a change they can make one with ease.
voice_of_resistance
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.34, S: 5.22

« Reply #302 on: November 09, 2020, 10:39:23 PM »

as President Johnson and I have said, Nanette Barragan.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #303 on: November 09, 2020, 11:01:03 PM »

Ted Lieu, Katie Porter, Kevin De Leon, or Adam Schiff would be great

Sadly, it'll probably be Padilla
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #304 on: November 09, 2020, 11:55:19 PM »

CA doesn't want or need a placeholder, we need someone to represent us. The last two Senate elections have been D vs D, if the voters want a change they can make one with ease.
Nah man, we need a placeholder. Look, I want the best people to represent the state, and I think that we need an open primary so the state can decide rather than just appoint a 30 year term to someone.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #305 on: November 10, 2020, 08:13:14 AM »

Nah man, we need a placeholder. Look, I want the best people to represent the state, and I think that we need an open primary so the state can decide rather than just appoint a 30 year term to someone.
Nah, you don't want a placeholder. For one thing, there's no guarantee any placeholder will actually step down. Second, a placeholder isn't a guarantee of a truly neutral primary, there's no such thing in a state like California due to its size, whoever the establishment consolidates around will likely win anyway. Finally, a placeholder could cost California even more seniority. Harris has already cost the state four years of seniority (which was totally foreseeable since she was never interested in being a Senator to begin with), and the state is already underrepresented in the Senate due to population. He should appoiont a long term Senator as soon as possible who can start to build that back up again. Once Feinstein retires the country's largest state will only have two extremely junior Senators.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #306 on: November 10, 2020, 08:26:41 AM »

Nah, you don't want a placeholder. For one thing, there's no guarantee any placeholder will actually step down. Second, a placeholder isn't a guarantee of a truly neutral primary, there's no such thing in a state like California due to its size, whoever the establishment consolidates around will likely win anyway. Finally, a placeholder could cost California even more seniority. Harris has already cost the state four years of seniority (which was totally foreseeable since she was never interested in being a Senator to begin with), and the state is already underrepresented in the Senate due to population. He should appoiont a long term Senator as soon as possible who can start to build that back up again. Once Feinstein retires the country's largest state will only have two extremely junior Senators.

CA doesn't have to worry so much about its Senators' seniority for a while. It will have the Vice President, the Speaker and the House Minority Leader.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #307 on: November 10, 2020, 08:38:00 AM »

CA doesn't have to worry so much about its Senators' seniority for a while. It will have the Vice President, the Speaker and the House Minority Leader.

The Speaker and House Minority Leaders are going to do stuff for their district first, then their caucuses, they won't help the whole state. As for VP, I find it amusing the idea that Harris will somehow help Ca from her largely ceremonial position.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #308 on: November 10, 2020, 08:39:06 AM »

The Speaker and House Minority Leaders are going to do stuff for their district first, then their caucuses, they won't help the whole state. As for VP, I find it amusing the idea that Harris will somehow help Ca from her largely ceremonial position.

The VP position was not "largely ceremonial" for Biden or Cheney. I highly suspect it wasn't for Pence, either. Why would it be for Harris? She will have Biden's ear and is the overwhelming favourite to be his successor, at least as Democratic nominee.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #309 on: November 10, 2020, 08:41:07 AM »

The VP position was not "largely ceremonial" for Biden or Cheney. I highly suspect it wasn't for Pence, either. Why would it be for Harris? She will have Biden's ear and is the overwhelming favourite to be his successor, at least as Democratic nominee.

Cheney isn't known for spending his time as VP helping Wyoming. This argument is frankly so asisine I don't know why you persist in it. VP and Senator are not interchangeable. The VP's constituency is national.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #310 on: November 10, 2020, 08:45:31 AM »

Only Gavin Newsom knows and we should wait til he announces

Cali is such a blue state anyone can be picked but London Breed and Adam Shift said they're happy with their jobs
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #311 on: November 10, 2020, 10:33:12 AM »

I'd presume any placeholder would step down, as part of the appointment agreement. But you bring points I didn't think of, seniority, I only thought from the realm of getting the state a good senator it'd be satisfied with. I don't know if I'd trust his judgement, but if he could find another long term good senator I'd be happy.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #312 on: November 10, 2020, 05:49:10 PM »

I'm still pulling for Porter. She's one of the best interrogators in the House.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #313 on: November 10, 2020, 06:46:47 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2020, 07:16:02 PM by lfromnj »

So a 223 house majority and you want to give one of those 6 seats especially in a swing seat for a special election and leave it vacant for a few months?

Its prob just gonna be some legislative pol from California.

Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #314 on: November 10, 2020, 08:03:47 PM »

Also, it won’t be so ‘ceremonial’ if it ends up being a 50/50 Senate, as Harris would be the tiebreaker.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #315 on: November 10, 2020, 08:24:23 PM »

So a 223 house majority and you want to give one of those 6 seats especially in a swing seat for a special election and leave it vacant for a few months?

Its prob just gonna be some legislative pol from California.
Not legislative, necessarily, but I agree that Porter is not a likely choice for a host of reasons. I'd take Padilla/Becerra over the field.

The key framework here is "how does this advance the President Newsom 2024 campaign?" Nominating Padilla or Becerra clearly meets that test — Newsom can brag about making history with the first Latino senator, get some goodwill in the southern half of the state, and it opens a state office that he gets to fill. Not sure what nominating Katie Porter would do for him. Lee or Bass remain real possibilities because of the importance of the CBC in the presidential process.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #316 on: November 10, 2020, 10:06:39 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/kamala-harris-replacement-senate/2020/11/10/e36d1266-2367-11eb-a688-5298ad5d580a_story.html

pretty much saying that the state has never had a latino senator even though its plurality (40%) Latino. And considering how poorly dems did with latinos, he has to.

So I expect Padilla but holding out hope for Barragán. Wouldn't be surprised if it was Torres or Gomez
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #317 on: November 10, 2020, 10:12:58 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/kamala-harris-replacement-senate/2020/11/10/e36d1266-2367-11eb-a688-5298ad5d580a_story.html

pretty much saying that the state has never had a latino senator even though its plurality (40%) Latino. And considering how poorly dems did with latinos, he has to.

So I expect Padilla but holding out hope for Barragán. Wouldn't be surprised if it was Torres or Gomez

The only acceptable non-Latino is Ted Lieu. Barragan would be perfect but Padilla is also fine. That said, Padilla seems like he would make a better governor than senator.

In addition to being a Latino woman from SoCal, Barragán started her political career with the Clinton White House in the Office of Public Liaison doing African American outreach, and served as the facilitator between the president and African American organizations such as the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #318 on: November 11, 2020, 12:32:39 AM »

I honestly think Newsome appoints some placeholder like Boxer or Brown to hold the seat until a special election. Anyone he appoints is gonna wrinkle feathers at best of infuriate one or more wings of the CADems. There are two dozen qualified individuals who want the seat with their own communities of support. Favoring any one upsets more. It’s not like it’s competitive in the general. 
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #319 on: November 11, 2020, 12:38:01 AM »

I honestly think Newsome appoints some placeholder like Boxer or Brown to hold the seat until a special election. Anyone he appoints is gonna wrinkle feathers at best of infuriate one or more wings of the CADems. There are two dozen qualified individuals who want the seat with their own communities of support. Favoring any one upsets more. It’s not like it’s competitive in the general. 

Yeah, that would probably be the smartest move. Although I can't imagine what a s**tshow the primary would be. It would make the MA primaries from this year look like a picnic.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #320 on: November 11, 2020, 12:44:37 AM »

Yeah, that would probably be the smartest move. Although I can't imagine what a s**tshow the primary would be. It would make the MA primaries from this year look like a picnic.

I actually made an election infobox a few months back where dems split the vote too much and two republicans win the runoff. I am slightly scared that might happen if enough dems run and only two republicans from different wings do.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #321 on: November 11, 2020, 12:48:06 AM »

That's why you lean on Biden to appoint Becerra to something, conveniently getting him out of California (and complicating his rumored 2022 campaign for governor). Then you appoint Padilla to the Senate, and now you have two state offices to dole out to whichever communities you need to placate at that moment. Let's say Robert Garcia to State and Libby Schaaf to AG — one Hispanic gay man from SoCal, one Jewish woman from NorCal. It's not easy to balance all of the communities you're trying to placate here, but it can be done, and Gav is only governor because he's good at it.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #322 on: November 11, 2020, 01:05:50 AM »

That's why it's a dumb move. Don't have your ambitious bench scrambling for a seat when you can keep them where they need to be and elevate someone else. Barragans district is likely to be gone anyway. We don't need people with good electability all clamoring for a single seat.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #323 on: November 11, 2020, 01:08:40 AM »

That's why you lean on Biden to appoint Becerra to something, conveniently getting him out of California (and complicating his rumored 2022 campaign for governor). Then you appoint Padilla to the Senate, and now you have two state offices to dole out to whichever communities you need to placate at that moment. Let's say Robert Garcia to State and Libby Schaaf to AG — one Hispanic gay man from SoCal, one Jewish woman from NorCal. It's not easy to balance all of the communities you're trying to placate here, but it can be done, and Gav is only governor because he's good at it.

But there’s still the Asian community (South and East), the inland community, Silicone Valley, not to mention the ideology divides and background divides, I’m not even from California but I can think of about a dozen groups interests you’d have to balance. And filling out term limited statewide offices aren’t the same as a senate seat where you can basically have for life.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #324 on: November 11, 2020, 05:35:14 PM »

Newsom wants to appoint someone to the powerful position of Democratic senator for California. He wants some one high up that owes him for the presidential run he'll def do
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies