Would a Romney win have been better for the democrats?

(1/3) > >>

chibul:
I often wonder if Romney winning and getting 4 or even 8 years of office would have actually been in a win for democrats with the hindsight of what happened with Donald Trump getting into office and trying to destroy everything Obama ever did and being a far more polarizing figure than Mitt Romney ever was. 2014 was also a complete blood bath for the democrats, perhaps if Romney was president they could have held on to some of those senate seats. Supreme Court justice Scalia would have either retired, or died but as we know the seat got filled by the Republicans anyways.

dw93:
Obamacare is likely repealed so that by itself is a big reason I'm glad Romney lost. 2014 would've looked like 2018 as far as results are concerned. The Democrats gain in the House and at the state level, but not as much as they did with Trump, so the GOP might still keep the House in this scenario and in 2014, as was the case in '18 the Democrats were defending more seats in the Senate than the GOP, so the GOP likely still nets gains there. Romney ran as a Trump proto type on Immigration, so it's likely the last 3 years would've happened 4 years early in that regard and Romney for better (Russia) and for worse (Middle East) would be more hawkish on Foreign Policy. Paul Ryan's Budget and Medicare and SS proposals become law to.

So overall, I don't think a Romney win would be better for the Democrats or for the Country.

brucejoel99:
No. Romney/Ryan would've consolidated power in the GOP establishment & given a sense of 'fixing' the country by being able to be more active in Congress with McConnell & Boehner. Along with a carefully crafted tax cut, this would've kept most of middle America happy with stability & the economy generally showing continued steady improvement. The Tea Party's influence would've been lessened & that's what ultimately doomed Obamacare repeal efforts. In all likelihood, Romney would be a moderately popular incumbent &, as such, the Democrats as a political party would've been worse off in today's environment.

Del Tachi:
I wonder how President Romney would be handling COVID-19

Mr. Smith:
No.

Trump is the gift that would keep giving if Establishment Dems weren't so scared of their own shadow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page