2004 Democratic primaries if Joe Biden ran
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:48:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004 Democratic primaries if Joe Biden ran
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2004 Democratic primaries if Joe Biden ran  (Read 1034 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2020, 12:02:52 AM »

How would Biden do against Kerry, Dean, Edwards, etc.?
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 06:25:50 PM »

Biden would have taken third place I think. Drops out February 25th while only carrying Delaware
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 09:37:27 AM »

Biden would have taken third place I think. Drops out February 25th while only carrying Delaware

Sounds about right

The only person who didn't run in 2004 who I think would have gotten the nomination was Tom Daschle
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 01:50:55 PM »

Biden would have been back in the pack and would have been done early.  Kerry had the money, Dean had the initial popularity, and Lieberman had the gravitas. 

Joe Biden was humiliated in 1988 when he was caught plagarizing a speech by Neil Kinnock of Britain.  He never recovered from that; he's still mocked for this to this day.  He came from the smallest of states, and he was a guy that made gaffes.  He was bright and experienced, but he bombed in 2008.  He was chosen over Hillary Clinton for the VP spot by Obama NOT because he was a better CANDIDATE, but because his broader experience was seen as necessary as a counterweight to the inexperienced Obama.  If he had not been Obama's VP, he wouldn't be the nominee today.

Here's an afterthought to all of this:  1972 exposed the problem of poor vetting of VPs and selecting VPs with minimal experience on the national scene.  Within a month of selection, it was learned that VP candidate Sen. Thomas Eagleton (D-MO) had been hospitalized for "mental illness" (depression) for which he received electroshock treatments.  Within a year of re-election, it was discovered that VP Spiro Agnew, who had been Gov. of MD as long as Sarah Palin had been Gov. of AK before being nominated, had never stopped taking kickbacks from construction businesses that continued from the days he was Baltimore County Executive all the way to his first term as VP.  We now vet our VPs more thoroughly on the premise that they well may be President, and well may be President sooner than planned.  The Democrats' love affair with Stacey Abrams appears to be an example of tossing that principle to the wind, but that may be a minor temporary brain fart.  2020 is demonstrating the problem of nominating OLD candidates.  We are about to nominate the oldest man ever nominated for the Presidency of a major party, to be opposed by the oldest incumbent in history (though not by much).  NO ONE thinks Biden is a two-termer, and there is real question as to whether or not Biden is up to the rigors of the office right now.  Compare Biden to Trump and Sanders, then tell me if he's as much on their game as his opposition.  Political parties need to seriously think about the age of their prospective nominees.  I am truly worried about the mental fitness of Biden; I would be more open to voting for him were it not for that.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 09:40:18 AM »

Biden would have been back in the pack and would have been done early.  Kerry had the money, Dean had the initial popularity, and Lieberman had the gravitas. 

Joe Biden was humiliated in 1988 when he was caught plagarizing a speech by Neil Kinnock of Britain.  He never recovered from that; he's still mocked for this to this day.  He came from the smallest of states, and he was a guy that made gaffes.  He was bright and experienced, but he bombed in 2008.  He was chosen over Hillary Clinton for the VP spot by Obama NOT because he was a better CANDIDATE, but because his broader experience was seen as necessary as a counterweight to the inexperienced Obama.  If he had not been Obama's VP, he wouldn't be the nominee today.

Here's an afterthought to all of this:  1972 exposed the problem of poor vetting of VPs and selecting VPs with minimal experience on the national scene.  Within a month of selection, it was learned that VP candidate Sen. Thomas Eagleton (D-MO) had been hospitalized for "mental illness" (depression) for which he received electroshock treatments.  Within a year of re-election, it was discovered that VP Spiro Agnew, who had been Gov. of MD as long as Sarah Palin had been Gov. of AK before being nominated, had never stopped taking kickbacks from construction businesses that continued from the days he was Baltimore County Executive all the way to his first term as VP.  We now vet our VPs more thoroughly on the premise that they well may be President, and well may be President sooner than planned.  The Democrats' love affair with Stacey Abrams appears to be an example of tossing that principle to the wind, but that may be a minor temporary brain fart.  2020 is demonstrating the problem of nominating OLD candidates.  We are about to nominate the oldest man ever nominated for the Presidency of a major party, to be opposed by the oldest incumbent in history (though not by much).  NO ONE thinks Biden is a two-termer, and there is real question as to whether or not Biden is up to the rigors of the office right now.  Compare Biden to Trump and Sanders, then tell me if he's as much on their game as his opposition.  Political parties need to seriously think about the age of their prospective nominees.  I am truly worried about the mental fitness of Biden; I would be more open to voting for him were it not for that.
No one gives a sh**t.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 11:06:20 PM »

You know what uranium is, right? It's this "thing" called "nuclear weapons" and other "things." Like... lots of... "things" are done with uranium. Including some bad things! But nobody talks about that...

Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world — it’s true! — but when you’re a conservative Republican they try — oh, do they do a number — that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune — you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me — it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are — nuclear is so powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right, who would have thought? — but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it’s four — but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years — but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us, this is horrible.

I am truly worried about the mental fitness of Biden; I would be more open to voting for him were it not for that.

No you wouldn't. If you cared about "mental fitness" you wouldn't entertain supporting the least mentally fit president in history, whose severe deficiencies were extremely clear even back in 2015 which that quote is from. Instead you're making up BS excuses to vote for him.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 06:12:38 AM »

Biden would have been back in the pack and would have been done early.  Kerry had the money, Dean had the initial popularity, and Lieberman had the gravitas.  

Joe Biden was humiliated in 1988 when he was caught plagarizing a speech by Neil Kinnock of Britain.  He never recovered from that; he's still mocked for this to this day.  He came from the smallest of states, and he was a guy that made gaffes.  He was bright and experienced, but he bombed in 2008.  He was chosen over Hillary Clinton for the VP spot by Obama NOT because he was a better CANDIDATE, but because his broader experience was seen as necessary as a counterweight to the inexperienced Obama.  If he had not been Obama's VP, he wouldn't be the nominee today.

Here's an afterthought to all of this:  1972 exposed the problem of poor vetting of VPs and selecting VPs with minimal experience on the national scene.  Within a month of selection, it was learned that VP candidate Sen. Thomas Eagleton (D-MO) had been hospitalized for "mental illness" (depression) for which he received electroshock treatments.  Within a year of re-election, it was discovered that VP Spiro Agnew, who had been Gov. of MD as long as Sarah Palin had been Gov. of AK before being nominated, had never stopped taking kickbacks from construction businesses that continued from the days he was Baltimore County Executive all the way to his first term as VP.  We now vet our VPs more thoroughly on the premise that they well may be President, and well may be President sooner than planned.  The Democrats' love affair with Stacey Abrams appears to be an example of tossing that principle to the wind, but that may be a minor temporary brain fart.  2020 is demonstrating the problem of nominating OLD candidates.  We are about to nominate the oldest man ever nominated for the Presidency of a major party, to be opposed by the oldest incumbent in history (though not by much).  NO ONE thinks Biden is a two-termer, and there is real question as to whether or not Biden is up to the rigors of the office right now.  Compare Biden to Trump and Sanders, then tell me if he's as much on their game as his opposition.  Political parties need to seriously think about the age of their prospective nominees.  I am truly worried about the mental fitness of Biden; I would be more open to voting for him were it not for that.
No one gives a sh**t.
What a quality post!  This response took an amazing amount of effort; so much that I remain in awe of the poster's creative and intellectual abilities.  
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 11:04:10 AM »

Biden would have been back in the pack and would have been done early.  Kerry had the money, Dean had the initial popularity, and Lieberman had the gravitas.  

Joe Biden was humiliated in 1988 when he was caught plagarizing a speech by Neil Kinnock of Britain.  He never recovered from that; he's still mocked for this to this day.  He came from the smallest of states, and he was a guy that made gaffes.  He was bright and experienced, but he bombed in 2008.  He was chosen over Hillary Clinton for the VP spot by Obama NOT because he was a better CANDIDATE, but because his broader experience was seen as necessary as a counterweight to the inexperienced Obama.  If he had not been Obama's VP, he wouldn't be the nominee today.

Here's an afterthought to all of this:  1972 exposed the problem of poor vetting of VPs and selecting VPs with minimal experience on the national scene.  Within a month of selection, it was learned that VP candidate Sen. Thomas Eagleton (D-MO) had been hospitalized for "mental illness" (depression) for which he received electroshock treatments.  Within a year of re-election, it was discovered that VP Spiro Agnew, who had been Gov. of MD as long as Sarah Palin had been Gov. of AK before being nominated, had never stopped taking kickbacks from construction businesses that continued from the days he was Baltimore County Executive all the way to his first term as VP.  We now vet our VPs more thoroughly on the premise that they well may be President, and well may be President sooner than planned.  The Democrats' love affair with Stacey Abrams appears to be an example of tossing that principle to the wind, but that may be a minor temporary brain fart.  2020 is demonstrating the problem of nominating OLD candidates.  We are about to nominate the oldest man ever nominated for the Presidency of a major party, to be opposed by the oldest incumbent in history (though not by much).  NO ONE thinks Biden is a two-termer, and there is real question as to whether or not Biden is up to the rigors of the office right now.  Compare Biden to Trump and Sanders, then tell me if he's as much on their game as his opposition.  Political parties need to seriously think about the age of their prospective nominees.  I am truly worried about the mental fitness of Biden; I would be more open to voting for him were it not for that.
No one gives a sh**t.
What a quality post!  This response took an amazing amount of effort; so much that I remain in awe of the poster's creative and intellectual abilities.  
Compared to Trump, Biden is sharper than a ginsu knife.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 09:25:13 PM »

No one gives a sh**t.
Compared to Trump, Biden is sharper than a ginsu knife.
I certainly disagree with this assessment, but at least it was a bit of an effort post, lol.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 08:54:03 PM »

No one gives a sh**t.
Thanks
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 10:04:26 AM »

Say what you will about that second paragraph, but that first one is good.  Essentially, I agree that Biden would go nowhere in 2004.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 02:04:51 AM »

Sounds about right

The only person who didn't run in 2004 who I think would have gotten the nomination was Tom Daschle

Hillary Clinton could've gotten the nomination if she ran.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies